Flower Gardens -- Nitrox or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My buddy did it on my trip, and there were another group of divers that got nitrox while out there... Its all about who your trip leader is.

PvilleStang:
But good luck on the East or West banks getting lower than 100. And about the tanks, make sure they're O2 cleaned and got stickers on them. VIP, Hydro need to be in date, and the steels can't be older than like 1992, I believe, someone correct me here.

I don't remember the buoy number but one of the buoys on the west bank is near the drop off.

There is no prohibition to diving a steel that is older than 1992. The Al 6351 cylinders are prohibited.

TwoBit

Dutchman:
OK, are there any dive charters that offer AOW & Nitrox certification at the Gardens?
This sounds like a great opportunity.
Lots of diving and up grade at the same time.

Many dive shops used the gulf diving boats as the check out dives for PADI nitrox. Since PADI no longer requires check out dives for nitrox, I can imagine that will change. I guess you could do some of your AOW dives out there, but I wouldn't recommend it.

TwoBit

Teknadv3x:
So let me get this straight, I pull off a dive with a 104 and on that dive I use 60 cf. of nitrox. On the same dive another diver using a 80 uses 65 cf of nitrox he is charged a single fee and I am frowned upon and charged double...Is this correct?Dave

Yes, that's correct. It's not about how much you use, it's about the tank size. So yes, size does matter.

(Firefyter- stop that grinning. I don't mean it like that.)

Dutchman:
OK, are there any dive charters that offer AOW & Nitrox certification at the Gardens?

We do AOW and Nitrox certs on the trip. It's a great deal to. If you have to rent your gear for the weekend you might as well take a class because we include gear with all of our classes. No rental fees, even on upper level courses. Great place to do a deep dive specialty!

Debraw:
Yes, that's correct. It's not about how much you use, it's about the tank size. So yes, size does matter.

You're gonna have the moderator all over this thread with innuendo's like this...

Dutchman:

I am doing mine though Surface Intercal Scuba in GP. The orginal plan was to do all my checkout on the a trip to Stetson Bank but they are pretty flexible and I am doing my certs before the trip so I can jsut relax and dive. See look at my siganture

Never mind as I see Debraw got to this first.

Oh yea Debraw I got my nitrox card in the mail today. Thanks for being so flexible with my work schdule

Debraw:

I can see it now here come the long hose comments. LOL

ReefHound:
If you only plan to use 60 cf, why you need more than an 80? Tank fills are priced according to cylinder size.
When I pull off a dive in OW I plan it so that have 1 & 1/2 times the needed gas. So to answer your question' If I plan to use 60 cf I will enter the water with 90cf.

ReefHound:
I've never seen anyone charge based on how much air was added.
go to this website http://www.caveadventurers.com/fills.aspx and Now you have.

ReefHound:
What they are really telling you is they don't want to handle different sizes. It's much easier (tank racks, storage, handling, etc.) when everything is a standard size.
The Boats tank racks are set up for 7.25 and 8.00 tanks. My LP 121 with a Y-valve takes up much less bench space than a 80 with a pony Tank attached.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom