Flower Gardens -- Nitrox or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have said it a number of times before, the Flower Gardens were built for Nitrox.

There are only a couple places where you can get too deep, but for the most part, it's not a problem. If you dive the rig, you will need to watch your depth.

I won't dive anything but Nitrox down there. It's worth it.

TwoBit

I would first like to say excellent question.
Your concern is that you are diving at possibly 120 or 130 ft.
At 120ft for 32% you would have an O2 exposure of 1.5
At 130ft for 32% you would have an O2 exposure of 1.6
Max exposure at 1.6 is 45minutes (total single exposure.)

Practical experience for Flower Gardens is the following-
65ft is the tie in that is 1.0 PPo2 (for 70ft.)
I would say that for the average dive you are looking for a depth of 85 to a max of 100ft.
For Nitrox divers the suggested PPO2 range is 1.2 to 1.4 during the dive.
A PPo2 of 1.2 is 90ft and 1.4 is 111ft. So that is really your floor.
If you felt for some reason you needed to drop to 130ft on the first dive then your decompression is going to catch you before o2 issues.

If… you made a six minute exposure at 130ft (1.6) you would be exposing yourself to 15% of you total daily exposure that’s it. I would suggest not hitting 130ft. No reason to keeping it to 110 to 120 MAX.
At 1.6 this is considered the limit and that is not recommended for heavy activity underwater.

If you were to look at single Nitrox exposures (1 dive)
At a PPo2 of 1.2 you have 200minutes, 1.4 is 150miutes, and 1.6 is 45 minutes.

What I found was my average depth was 85ft at the gardens.
So that is basically the 1.2 setting at 90ft.
At Stetson bank that changes to 100ft and that results in a PPo2 of 1.3.
Most people use a PPo2 limit of 1.4 for actual dive time verses decompression.

If I could make a suggestion- use a Nitrox computer! If you do not own one RENT IT. It is worth the money hands down. Plus god forbid something does happen everything is logged through that little jewel for them to download later.

Since Flower Gardens is consider deep dive check the dive computer planner for each dive, compare it to your tables, and know what your NDL limits are.

Since it is a deep dive a few points.
1. Have a turn around tank pressure. For my first few dives I use the 3rds rules.
1/3 out, 1/3 back, and 1/3 for emergencies and slowwwww surfacing.
2. My first stop is at 60ft for a 100ft dive for 1 minute. Another option is to stop at three quarters of your total depth. 60ft dive my first stop is at 45ft for a minute.
3. Take your time on your ascent 30ft per minute rise MAX. You did the time- you take your time coming up. I typically stop at three or 4 places (60ft, 40ft, 20ft, 15ft)- the deeper stops are for only a minute to help your body catch up.
4. Make sure you do your stops at 15ft for how long you feel is necessary.
5. If you fall into decompression- follow the computer and take your time. This is the reason you have it. Upon exiting tell a surface divemaster. Your safety is their primary concern. They may have you sit out the next dive for your safety. Decompression diving is a class all to its own.
6. Enjoy your time in shallow water- we saw some of the most interesting things while hanging on the line.
7. Buy Dan before the trip, we never wish accidents but being prepared is the best.

To close personally, you would totally benefit from diving Nitrox at the gardens plus the END benefit is substantial. Get the computer!

I have to give thanks to Debra for getting me diving at the Gardens and it has been one of my favorite trips since.

Any questions, please feel free to give me a yell. :D

ok, wow. i just read the posts about flower gardens, nitrox, etc. ....would like advice. my husband and i are going to flower g, stetson,rig, on sept 16th on the sea searcher II. am excited about it. we are pretty new, have 20 dives. have our AOO cards. did 12 dives in cozumel, two on st. lucia, two on puerto rico. my husband had a rental computer in cozumel, i did not. everything else has been tables. we will have rental computers on this flower g. trip. i want to be sure we dive safely. the briefings will include plenty of discussion regarding, depths,time, safety stops, etc. surely won't they??? i'm not an electronic wizard........the computer will be easy to decipher and will
keep me well within safe limits?? do i need to use tables also?? want to be safe. appreciate advice. (we have not gotten nitrox certification, but plan to sometime, but won't happen before this trip) thanks, donna

donnad:
. the briefings will include plenty of discussion regarding, depths,time, safety stops, etc. surely won't they???

Oh yes,there is no doubt about that............. :D

If you are renting a computer that you are not familiar with why not take it on some local dives first to get comfortable with it. (I dont know where you live ,your profile is kinda empty) Which computer is it? Is it aggressive or conservative? If you have no idea then using tables as a sanity check would be a good idea. The Flower Gardens are not a good place to screw up and ultimately the only person responsible for your safety is you.

Hope you have fun

donnad:
ok, wow. i just read the posts about flower gardens, nitrox, etc. ....would like advice. my husband and i are going to flower g, stetson,rig, on sept 16th on the sea searcher II. am excited about it. we are pretty new, have 20 dives. have our AOO cards. did 12 dives in cozumel, two on st. lucia, two on puerto rico. my husband had a rental computer in cozumel, i did not. everything else has been tables. we will have rental computers on this flower g. trip. i want to be sure we dive safely. the briefings will include plenty of discussion regarding, depths,time, safety stops, etc. surely won't they??? i'm not an electronic wizard........the computer will be easy to decipher and will
keep me well within safe limits?? do i need to use tables also?? want to be safe. appreciate advice. (we have not gotten nitrox certification, but plan to sometime, but won't happen before this trip) thanks, donna

Sea Searcher does not have nitrox.

Ian makes a great suggestion. Make a local dive with the computer before you go out. Get familiar with it. You both must have a computer. You cannot share one.

The briefings are thorough. If you miss something, don't understand something, or have any questions, please, remember, there are no dumb questions. Ask.

TwoBit

If this hasn't been brought up already, on the Fling and Spree the max diving depths are capped at 130 feet, and that's the first dive of the day only. All subsequent dives for the day are capped at 100 feet. Makes the nitrox options a little more appealing, when you're forced to stay "shallow".

thanks for your reply and good suggestion about making a local dive. will see if we can make that happen. i don't know what type of computers we'll have. have to ask the dive shop. thanks again.
ianr33:
Oh yes,there is no doubt about that............. :D

If you are renting a computer that you are not familiar with why not take it on some local dives first to get comfortable with it. (I dont know where you live ,your profile is kinda empty) Which computer is it? Is it aggressive or conservative? If you have no idea then using tables as a sanity check would be a good idea. The Flower Gardens are not a good place to screw up and ultimately the only person responsible for your safety is you.

Hope you have fun

thankyou also for the reply and good suggestion. we will both have computers. i'll see if we can get a local dive arranged. i love the support here on scubaboard! thanks!
TwoBitTxn:
Sea Searcher does not have nitrox.

Ian makes a great suggestion. Make a local dive with the computer before you go out. Get familiar with it. You both must have a computer. You cannot share one.

The briefings are thorough. If you miss something, don't understand something, or have any questions, please, remember, there are no dumb questions. Ask.

TwoBit

AustinPDDiver:
I just returned from a dive trip on the M/V Fling on Friday. This was my first FG trip and was pondering the same question. I must say that I am glad that I dove nitrox. My friends that dove air were much more fatigued than I was at the end. Also you have the added bonus of not having to lug a tank to the boat. I say go for it!!

Ryan

Do they allow you to dive your own tank if you are doing nitrox?
Also how much is the charge for Nitrox?

Dave

Nitrox.....most on Gulf Diving LLC trips will be diving air......most conditions at the Flower Gardens are ideal for nitrox. Yes, you;ll dive your own profile. Good Diving!!

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom