Flew with my Pony to Cozumel and back - Not many problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
The TSA web site clearly states that "Dive tanks or any compressed gas cylinders are prohibited from carry-on and checked luggage. " But I packed my 19 cu.ft. tank and got it there and back just fine. I don't know if they're not enforcing this, haven't read that part of their site, or what? I know the airlines don't care.

At the Lubbock airport, I stood and watched as they inspected my bags, then asked that they secure them with nylon ties. I know that there's a new lock available that's TSA accessible, but I figure the bad guys will have the keys soon enough. How long did it take to counterfeit the new bills? Once I got inside the security screening for passengers & carry-ons, I locked my carry-on bag, as I knew I'd have to gate check it on the smaller planes.

Now, I am not a TSA supporter. I like good security, but still don't think we're getting what we're paying $10 per ticket for, and I don't like some of their dealings. At Houston's Intercontinental Airport, I stepped outside during a long layover, and when I went thru security screening again - my bag got caught on the belt. I look for help, and 3 or 4 young TSA agents were grabbing & jawing. That just set me off, and I asked for a Supervisor. They called for one, then one of them told me that asking for one would stop the belt. I told him a little of what I thought of the whole deal, how he might consider working for a living, and then - told the Supervisor what I thought of his agents not working, especially the smart butt. I'm probably on a watch list now. :krach:

On the way back, the Mexican Security Guards who are supposed to meet TSA standards for flights to the U.S. went through my bags, kept my rubbing alcohol, and my liquid laundry detergent. {Note to self: When I pack to return from Belize in June, empty all liquids, rinse and keep empty bottles.) Mostly, though, they worked with the airline. They don't furnish nylong ties, but I had my own ready.

don

Doc Intrepid:
Don,

Did you pack the 19 with the valve in it, or with the valve removed and a plastic plug inserted in it?
I suppose that it could be argued, given the blanket phrasing of the TSA website prohibition insofar as they do not define what constitutes "Dive tanks or compressed gas cylinders...", that a scuba tank with the valve removed is no longer a scuba tank - "honest officer, it's a vase..." =8^O

K.

I'll have to look into that. As long as they don't get too popular, they should be somewhat effective in detering the thief who doesn't want to go through any more trouble than necessary. Hopefully it will discourage more than it will attract.

Doc Intrepid:
Don,

Did you pack the 19 with the valve in it, or with the valve removed and a plastic plug inserted in it?

The truth is - I never pull the valve. I'm always ready to if they object, but I've flown half a dozen trips with it in. How do you travel with your's?

awap:
{Re: TSA approved locks} I'll have to look into that. As long as they don't get too popular, they should be somewhat effective in detering the thief who doesn't want to go through any more trouble than necessary. Hopefully it will discourage more than it will attract.

Here's one site with information and availabilty: http://www.thetravelinsider.info/roadwarriorcontent/searchalert.htm

don

Back
Top Bottom