First wetsuits advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Henderson Greenprene are appealing due to the more eco-freindly approach, but I read they’re much more buoyant. Any experience with them?
The "greenest" suit, is the one you can use for a long time, and don't need to throw away or buy another suit.

That said, Henderson is probably easily in the "top 20%" of wetsuit brands in terms of quality, based on my knowledge/experience/observations. I don't know about "Greeneprene" specifically.

Henderson Greenprene are appealing due to the more eco-freindly approach, but I read they’re much more buoyant. Any experience with them?
I have the Thermax line. Sorry no experience with the Greenprene

I don't know about that, but basically the more insulating a wetsuit is, the more buoyant it will be. 5 mil would be way too much for me personally in the Caribbean, and I don't know what the temps are Kauai. For me, and this is probably fairly typical for men, 3mil is good from 76-77F and warmer. Getting closer to 75F 5mil is better for me, but I've done hundreds of dives in that temp with a 3mil and hooded vest.

Suits that are 'spongy' i.e. compress easily might give the impression of being more buoyant because buoyancy shifts more quickly if they compress more quickly. But that doesn't mean they're more buoyant, what it actually means is that at depth, they will be less buoyant, and less insulating.

Fit is everything. I recently bought a bare 5mil because they offered a lot of different size options, one of which fits me really well. I use it for 2-3 hour dives in 76F water and with a hood I'm nice and warm.

This is truly the best wetsuit I have ever used. It is the warmest and most flexible bar none:

You should look at the 3mm version too since the 3mm is equivalent to 5mm in other brands:

This is truly the best wetsuit I have ever used. It is the warmest and most flexible bar none:

You should look at the 3mm version too since the 3mm is equivalent to 5mm in other brands:

I have the predecessor Elastek in 3mm and it was a great suit - very warm. I had to stop using it because the rubber seam sealant Bare used flaked off every time went diving ( I have the same suit in 7mm with no issues with the seam sealant). They've ditched the sealant for the newest version of the Reactive and I'd have bought one in an instant if I could stomach the price.

Maybe I'm too late ... I'd try on front zip, back zip, and two piece suits to see what feels best for you. If you want to make a break to the marine head (assuming the boat has one) will it be easier with front or back zip or two pieces? If you have shoulder issues a front zip can be difficult (at least it is for me). If you get two pieces my advice is to tuck your top into your pants before hitting the water. If the top rides up while you're in the water it will be chilly. Also, you might want to consider layering - for example, get a hooded vest and then wear a 5mil over that, then if the water's a little warmer you can ditch the hooded vest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom