First wetsuits advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Khoujo1

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Good morning everyone! I'm a new member and relatively new diver (OWC 2020) looking to purchase a wetsuit. We typically dive in Kauai in August-Sept, and have made a few trips to the Caribbean as well. I'm thinking a 5 mm full suits, as I tend to get cold. Any recommendations that won't break the bank? Thanks!

Hi @Khoujo1

A 5mm fullsuit sounds like a good call. Start with that and you can ways add a hood or hooded vest later if it's not warm enough. A custom-fit 3mm with a hooded vest might also be warm enough and would be great without the hood when you're in 80 degree plus water.

Hope that helps!

Derek & JMJ

Good morning everyone! I'm a new member and relatively new diver (OWC 2020) looking to purchase a wetsuit. We typically dive in Kauai in August-Sept, and have made a few trips to the Caribbean as well. I'm thinking a 5 mm full suits, as I tend to get cold. Any recommendations that won't break the bank? Thanks!
What size would you wear?

I'm watching for BF wetsuit deals so if I find anything interesting, I'll post it in the BF thread.

Another common option is a 3mm short and a 3mm long. With both of these you can layer together if needed or just wear one if diving super warm waters

I'm a huge proponent of freediving suits, Mako has great prices for great suits. Need lube to get them on, but they are warmer and more comfortable than any scuba suit I have used.

Regardless, it's best to try them on to see which brands fit the best, they all have a little different cut.

@Khoujo1 If you are looking at stock sized suits you'll want to measure yourself and make sure you're within about 1" of the measurements shown on the manufacturer's measurement chart. Given your height and weight, I would think most large sizes will be baggy on you and a bit short in the length. Here are some measuring instructions, and this article might be a good read for you as well

Just let me know if you have any questions - I'm happy to help.

Derek

I'm not familiar with the water-temperatures there, but I've found a 5mm is generally a good middle-ground, where I'm usually ok in either no-wetsuit, or a 5mm. That's unless the water is really cold, and I need a 7mm with layers. If you're in a 5mm are are a little too warm, you can "flush" it with water through the neck.

Here's one that won't break the bank. Mine has held up several years, even with low-visibility diving among razor-sharp zebra-mussels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom