First time Scuba Club Cozumel in 11 days. Looking for some advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just wondering. Men and women seem to think differently, but then we are all different. If you kooky travel system works on time zones, cool. I hate time changes. The original 11, 12 days post meaning 13 less travel days is unusual, but now we know that you arrive on Thursday.

Now we don't know what that pesky storm is going to do tho, so maybe this is about nothing after all. Hope you have a good flight, arrive with all bags, get a weight & gear check dive in that afternoon, and have several days of good diving before you have to leave.

Ignore the time share hawks who will pounce on you as you leave customs, get van tickets at the window off to the left, and let us know if we can help with anything else. :wink:

No harm no foul, my friend.

We are flying into Cancun and then hoping to grab car service from the airport to the ferry in Playa. I have to assume there will be a van sized taxi or something for private hire in Caucun. What's it going to cost to get to Playa? $100ish?

How far is SCC from the ferry port in Cozumel? Should we grab another Taxi? We are flying out of Cozumel, I guess American Airlines only runs COZ to DFW flights Friday to Monday during the low season.

Thanks again to everyone, the information has been so helpful..

We are flying into Cancun and then hoping to grab car service from the airport to the ferry in Playa. I have to assume there will be a van sized taxi or something for private hire in Caucun. What's it going to cost to get to Playa? $100ish?

How far is SCC from the ferry port in Cozumel? Should we grab another Taxi? We are flying out of Cozumel, I guess American Airlines only runs COZ to DFW flights Friday to Monday during the low season.

We got a car service from inside Cancun airport for three for like 75, but I think that was cheaper than normal. Now if you are in for an adventure, use the autobus. We did that last time. It takes a little longer like hour and 15 vs. 50 minutes or so, but the bus was an excellent comfy coach that even had a movie. I think it was less than $10 a piece. You make a couple stops leaving the airport, but after than its a straight run to Playa. From the bus terminal it is a short walk sort of along the ocean to the ferry. You can also hire a bike-cart guy to haul the luggage. It isnt far at all.

Yes you will need a taxi to SCC from the ferry dock.

A new twist! How many of y'all. Ground & sea logistics are more than leaving an airport...!

A small taxi can run $60 or so, but you can get help reserving a large enough van(s) in advance at lower rates than "We're here; now what?" I don't know who or what exactly, so you'd better start a new thread with that in the title.

If the ferries run. They can be the first to shut down for a storm as they have to relocate the vessels out of harms way, then takes a while to bring them back into service. Again much of this depends on what that hurricane-wannabe does.

I did the $5 bus and $5 Playa del Carmen porter from the bus station to the ferry the one time I flew into Cancun.

At the Coz ferry, $3 per porter is usual I think, and you will see a line of taxis. Establish the fare before you load but it'll be around $6 or $8 per taxi depending on how many and how many bags, I think.

If you need any more info, best put that in the first post of the new thread as some readers don't stick with threads as long as some.

Just how new to this are you guys? Do you all have dive insurance and sausages? Have you ever dived the ocean before...???

A new twist! How many of y'all. Ground & sea logistics are more than leaving an airport...!

A small taxi can run $60 or so, but you can get help reserving a large enough van(s) in advance at lower rates than "We're here; now what?" I don't know who or what exactly, so you'd better start a new thread with that in the title.

If the ferries run. They can be the first to shut down for a storm as they have to relocate the vessels out of harms way, then takes a while to bring them back into service. Again much of this depends on what that hurricane-wannabe does.

I did the $5 bus and $5 Playa del Carmen porter from the bus station to the ferry the one time I flew into Cancun.

At the Coz ferry, $3 per porter is usual I think, and you will see a line of taxis. Establish the fare before you load but it'll be around $6 or $8 per taxi depending on how many and how many bags, I think.

If you need any more info, best put that in the first post of the new thread as some readers don't stick with threads as long as some.

Just how new to this are you guys? Do you all have dive insurance and sausages? Have you ever dived the ocean before...???

Your probably right about starting a new thread. If worse comes to worse when we get to Cancun I will call the ferries and if they are shut down, I am sure we can fly private charter from Cancun to Cozumel.

Don your information if very helpful, thank you!!! As for diving experience this will be our first time in Coz collectively but the entire group has been in the water in most parts of the world, I have 6 places left to finish my bucket list and I should have Sipadan off the list by the end of the year. (we are working on a diplomatic arrangement so we can avoid having to deal with the permit lottery and we can dive every day we are there with out risk of having to sit any days out)

Mkull-----no offense but if the ferries are not running due to a "possible" hurricane, you can be pretty sure that the little puddle jumpers will NOT be flying......that just seems obvious?

And DD------as far as your taking "the $5 bus to PDC".........no offense to you either, but that bus has never ever been that low. I believe when they first started service in the days of a different exchange rate, the rate was 70 pesos....I recall when everyone was aghast when it went to 80 pesos........and today it is 106 pesos. Don't want anyone to be crying that they aren't getting DD's rate, right?........hahha.

Your probably right about starting a new thread. If worse comes to worse when we get to Cancun I will call the ferries and if they are shut down, I am sure we can fly private charter from Cancun to Cozumel.

Don your information if very helpful, thank you!!! As for diving experience this will be our first time in Coz collectively but the entire group has been in the water in most parts of the world, I have 6 places left to finish my bucket list and I should have Sipadan off the list by the end of the year. (we are working on a diplomatic arrangement so we can avoid having to deal with the permit lottery and we can dive every day we are there with out risk of having to sit any days out)

Sipadan? Really? Now you are just showing off:no:.....

:errrr: OK I can't stand it, go ahead and list the 6:

So how many are y'all? I just took the bus the one time I flew into Cancun, but there are faster collective vans and a variety of other options - [-]I just don't know the details, but a new thread will get that answered[/-] edit! See these threads....
:thumb: Just checking. You don't tell much on your profile.
Mkull-----no offense but if the ferries are not running due to a "possible" hurricane, you can be pretty sure that the little puddle jumpers will NOT be flying......that just seems obvious?
I wouldn't know about those, how to find them, book them, etc. I'm sure they hide them in hangars for storms, but I could only guess at the time required and timing before & after a storm - and then I'd guess wrong probly.
And DD------as far as your taking "the $5 bus to PDC".........no offense to you either, but that bus has never ever been that low. I believe when they first started service in the days of a different exchange rate, the rate was 70 pesos....I recall when everyone was aghast when it went to 80 pesos........and today it is 106 pesos. Don't want anyone to be crying that they aren't getting DD's rate, right?........hahha.
Sorry, I caught the bus from Cancun city, not the airport, so maybe I paid less - or maybe I misremembered. Thanks for the correction. 106 MXN = $8.18 USD, and have small Mexican coins in your pocket too as I don't remember how much the pay toilets were - just got lucky and had the right coin. :shocked2:

Last edited:

Betsy, I don't know that's just it. From what Don said it sounds like they will move the ferries pretty far away if there is a remote chance that there will be a hurricane coming to keep the boats out of trouble and then also if "it takes some time" to get the boats back then it might just be a lot of time tied up for precautions sake. I would assume that if the weather "clears" we could catch a private turbo prop or something on short notice and resurrect a day of diving. But like I said I don't know, I have to defer to the group on this forum as you are the experts. Again my friends and I have never been to Cozumel, we just have experiences to rely on from other parts of the world. In my shoes it's not that obvious, simply just a lack of experience in your next of the woods

Sipadan? Really? Now you are just showing off:no:.....

:errrr: OK I can't stand it, go ahead and list the 6:

I will just review them as I do them... No need to show off... :) I wish I had found Scuba Board earlier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom