First time Scuba Club Cozumel in 11 days. Looking for some advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having accumulated a few million frequent flyer miles in my 36 short years alive and been fortunate to have eaten in every corner of the globe, I can only offer this I eat no balls and the first time I ever had elotes they were on the cob from a street vendor on some back alley in Tepoztlán Mexico. Looked just like this picture and they were great.... However the fried ant egg taco was much better.

Chapulines or grillos are great in tacos, too.

Uh, are you making any backup plans? I once went to Coz even tho a hurricane was aiming for it, then had to cut & run with my losses. People were arriving as I left and I asked if they knew? "What hurricane...?"

On Sept 3, you said you arrive in Coz in 11 days and in 12 days, so are you planning on arriving Tuesday or Wednesday? There is some possibility of a small hurricane arriving on Wednesday. See Wunder Blog : Weather Underground

Hopefully it won't be very bad and the boats will be back in the water Thursday or Friday, and it could miss, but you might want to keep and eye and be thinking...?

DD,
1. Ok, now you are freaking me out on the calf frys. (I cant help thinking of Chevy Chase.)
2. All I am saying is my plane better get in on Wednesday or Ill be angry.... (Like I want to stay in the Charlotte airport....) I have never been to a hurricane party....

Mkull,

Yum-o.....

All I am saying is my plane better get in on Wednesday or Ill be angry.... (Like I want to stay in the Charlotte airport....) I have never been to a hurricane party....
Planes will fly if possible, but a prudent person would want to watch this storm and developments. Still too far away with too many variables so I don't think a chicken-little warning thread is needed yet, but I have first hand experience at ignoring forecasts. I did escape without paying huge prices, but lost most of the money I'd spent on the trip. Since I did fly to Coz and back, my trip insurance did not refund my plane ticket.

This storm will be named soon I think, and forecasts will become more dependable day by day - but if Tuesday comes with hurricane warnings on Wednesday, and airlines allow for free changes in flights, then it would be silly to try to go the day of hurricane arrival.

It may fail, but it deserves watching....

sep11_sat.jpg

Uh, are you making any backup plans? I once went to Coz even tho a hurricane was aiming for it, then had to cut & run with my losses. People were arriving as I left and I asked if they knew? "What hurricane...?"

On Sept 3, you said you arrive in Coz in 11 days and in 12 days, so are you planning on arriving Tuesday or Wednesday? There is some possibility of a small hurricane arriving on Wednesday. See Wunder Blog : Weather Underground

Hopefully it won't be very bad and the boats will be back in the water Thursday or Friday, and it could miss, but you might want to keep and eye and be thinking...?

My friends and I arrive on Thursday late afternoon and are diving FRI, SAT, SUN, then flying home late Monday.. I am hoping that we come after any big weather. I wish that I was more experienced at reading the weather charts.

My friends and I arrive on Thursday late afternoon and are diving FRI, SAT, SUN, then flying home late Monday.. I am hoping that we come after any big weather. I wish that I was more experienced at reading the weather charts.
Arithmetic would be a good skill too. :D

The disturbance is not developing as rapidly as had been thot, so it may not be bad after all. Bookmark this page for future referencing Tropical Weather : Weather Underground

Today's forecast from Dr.Masters seems to have lowered expectations that it will make hurricane status wherever it lands...
Track forecast for 92L
The disturbance is moving west to west-northwest at 15 mph, and steering currents favor a continuation of this motion for the next three days. Model support for development is scattered. The GFS and NOGAPS models do not develop 92L. The GFDL and ECMWF models predict development, with a track taking 92L into Belize or Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula on Wednesday. On this track, the southern Dominican Republic can expect heavy rains of 3 - 6 inches today through Monday morning; southern Haiti can expect similar rains tonight through Monday night, and Jamaica and the Cayman Islands can expect heavier rains of 4 - 8 inches Monday and Tuesday. Eastern Cuba can expect rains in the 2 - 4 inch range. Once 92L crosses the Yucatan, the ridge of high pressure steering it is expected to remain in place, forcing 92L to a second landfall in Mexico south of the Texas border.

Intensity forecast for 92L
NHC is putting the odds of 92L developing into a tropical depression by Tuesday at 50%; I'd put them higher, at 70%. However, time is running out for 92L to become a hurricane before hitting the Yucatan Peninsula on Wednesday. Given the current disorganized state of 92L, it would be difficult for it to intensify quickly enough to become a hurricane by then. The storm may also suffer another of its mysterious evening collapses, where it loses most of its heavy thunderstorm activity. However, the SHIPS model predicts wind shear will remain low, 5 - 10 knots, through the period, and water temperatures are certainly warm enough to support development. The main detriment to intensification is likely to be dry air, and 92L could wrap in some of the dry air to its northwest at times, slowing down development. There are a number of research flights being made into 92L this afternoon that should help long-term efforts to make better predictions in the future on whether or not disturbances like this will develop or not.

Arithmetic would be a good skill too. :D

It's called optimistic travel math.. If I discount the day that I am on, and the day we leave then the trip get's here sooner right??? And yes, I realize that it doesn't make any sense.

It's called optimistic travel math.. If I discount the day that I am on, and the day we leave then the trip get's here sooner right??? And yes, I realize that it doesn't make any sense.
Are you male or female...?

Are you male or female...?

Male.. And, depending on the genesis of your question, related to my lack of understanding relating to math and the calendar there is going to be a whole gender of people that you might have just suggested a negative stereotype against... Kidding, all in good fun I am sure.

I know it doesn't make sense. I travel a lot and I am on a plane over 180 days a year and in my head when I calculate the countdown to something, travel time and the current day typically get left out of the equation, it's easier for me to deal with timezones and such that way, it's been working for years. Sometimes I forget to translate from my time to logical time when discussing duration with others. But hopefully poking fun at my logic or lack there of brought you and others a laugh..

Just wondering. Men and women seem to think differently, but then we are all different. If you kooky travel system works on time zones, cool. I hate time changes. The original 11, 12 days post meaning 13 less travel days is unusual, but now we know that you arrive on Thursday.

Now we don't know what that pesky storm is going to do tho, so maybe this is about nothing after all. Hope you have a good flight, arrive with all bags, get a weight & gear check dive in that afternoon, and have several days of good diving before you have to leave.

Ignore the time share hawks who will pounce on you as you leave customs, get van tickets at the window off to the left, and let us know if we can help with anything else. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom