First Double Hose Dive In THIRTY YEARS!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Duckbill,

Your analysis is correct, except that because the Stream Air came first, its top box would have to be drilled to accept the dowel in a different position when it was converted to a Mistral orifice.

John

I'm sorry, but I'm still confused. The Mistral and the Stream air top boxes are the same part (1002-14), and the bodys of the two are also the same (1002-20). There can only be ONE orientation for BOTH the regulators when assembled. This is assuming that the ONE factory-drilled indexing hole in the top box (1002-14), and the ONE factory-drilled indexing hole in the body (1002-20) have always been made the same as shown in the parts diagrams. I thought that any significant change in a part (like moving the position of a hole) would necessitate a new part number. Something here doesn't add up.

I'm sorry, but I'm still confused. The Mistral and the Stream air top boxes are the same part (1002-14), and the bodys of the two are also the same (1002-20). There can only be ONE orientation for BOTH the regulators when assembled. This is assuming that the ONE factory-drilled indexing hole in the top box (1002-14), and the ONE factory-drilled indexing hole in the body (1002-20) have always been made the same as shown in the parts diagrams. I thought that any significant change in a part (like moving the position of a hole) would necessitate a new part number. Something here doesn't add up.

Yes, your assumptions are incorrect. I have seen a number of US Divers parts that share the same part number and are functionally the same (or at least similar), but several of the dimensions and some of the features are not the same.

If I recall correctly (from reading one of the HDS magazines) Emile Gagnon did not add the indexing feature to the regulators until later. At first they were all just tighten into place. Again, I am not sure about this, but some of the earlier units probably didn't have a pin.

Duckbill,

I have a DX Overpressure breathing single stage regulator, and I have the top box on it, which I am not using. It was badly corroded inside, and I had it re-chromed, but it did not look good on the inside, so I used a Mistral top box for the regulator when I reassembled it. I also have several Mistrals, and all of them have a top box which is drilled with a hole for the dowl that holds the body so that the nozzle is directed straight down the intake. I'm going to post the parts diagrams for the Royal Mistral, and hopefully the DX too.
RoyalMistralPartsList.jpg

This is the latest of the Mistrals which are considered vintage. The dowel pin hole is drilled into the top box on all these earlier single stage regulators. Well, I'm not finding the parts diagram for the DX, but maybe this will help everyone visualize the regulators we are talking about:
usd62cad.jpg

Here is a photo of some Voit parts that I found on ebay. Looking at the box you can see that it has two holes drilled. As the Voit and Mistrals/Air Stream were almost one and the same, could this have been an Air Stram that was converted to the newer Mistral configuration?

Pete

Attachments

• Voit parts.jpg
    Voit parts.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 99
Pete,

What you have there is a complete regulator, disassembled. It is the AMF Voit VRC-2 50 Fathom regulator. This regulator was produced with the venturi nozzle pointed at the case, and someone re-directed it. Either that, or Voit decided to give it two positions.

This regulator was originally designed by Emile Gagnan, and had a reserve built into it. When AMF Voit built it, they left off the reserve mechanism. Here's the drawing from the original patent:
GagnansReservereg.jpg

It is pretty unique in that it has a downstream valve, and is the only downstream single-stage regulator that I know of ever released to the public. It breathed slightly harder at the end of the dive than at the beginning because of this design, whereas the Mistral/Jet Air/Stream Air/DX Overpressure Breathing all breathed easier at the end of the dive.

This does show that there were multiple holes possible in the top box of these regulators.

By the way, did you pick up those parts? The only thing I see missing is the yolk screw.

John

Yes, your assumptions are incorrect. I have seen a number of US Divers parts that share the same part number and are functionally the same (or at least similar), but several of the dimensions and some of the features are not the same.

I said "significant". I know that there are allowable differences in measurements or even assembly methods, some even affecting appearance, but that's not what I meant. When a technician goes to the shelf to grab a part numbered 1002-14 for replacement, it better work on the regulator for which it was designed (time after time after time)! If it doesn't, then that's plain stupid. I guess anything's possible, but I'm really surprised that U.S. Divers would do such a thing.

I said "significant". I know that there are allowable differences in measurements or even assembly methods, some even affecting appearance, but that's not what I meant. When a technician goes to the shelf to grab a part numbered 1002-14 for replacement, it better work on the regulator for which it was designed (time after time after time)! If it doesn't, then that's plain stupid. I guess anything's possible, but I'm really surprised that U.S. Divers would do such a thing.

You are holding them to a quality standard that was not always in place in those days, even for a major manufacturing business, which US Divers was not.

OK, here is what I am told is a Voit body that came in Mistral cans off of ebay a while ago. With the exception of the 4 screw lockdown and slide mechanisim to adjust the lever hight, it is just about the same as the USD Mistral using the same upstream seat and spring.

So, which Voit reg did this come out of?

Attachments

• Voit Reg Body.jpg
    Voit Reg Body.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Voit Body in Can.jpg
    Voit Body in Can.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 53
Gilldiver,

According to the Figure 3-36 in Basic Scuba, by Fred Roberts, this is out of a V22 Polaris 50 regulator, from AMF Voit. "The Polaris 50 regulator is of similar construction to the former Voit VR-1, which was comparable to the DW Aqua-Lung, but has been updated by improved venturi to Mistral performance..."

It is interesting to note that the AMF Voit version has tho orifice at a 90 angle difference from the Mistral, and so could not have come from the same body. Also, the Voit body is square, whereas the USD version has six sides (hexigonal???...my terminology is lacking in the early morning).

John

Nermod had also 2 series off those that had been along time seld to the costum.

They was 200bar relatet and you need more power to breath with them then

with the new off those.A Professional filmcameraman and frind off me used

those only wail the bubbels dit not disturb him at the filming under water,he

sad...

E.L.7*

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom