First Double Hose Dive In THIRTY YEARS!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, it is the original Calypso which held for many years the deep diving record. For those who never have seen one, here is what it looks like:
1961CalypsoReg.jpg

This was a dive off Catalina Island, California to test the deep-diving theories of Hannes Keller. Hannes Keller reached 1000 feet on that dive, but his buddy diver, Peter Small, perished during the dive. A safety diver, Chris Whittaker, also perished trying to keep the chamber from leaking. Dick Anderson cut away part of Keller's fin, which was keeping the chamber from sealing, thereby saving Keller's life. Here is some information on Hannes Keller:

Who is behind this?

Here the history of this dive:

Scuba America Historical Center - The Keller Dive

Divernet | History | The Atlantis affair

Below is a photo of Hannes Keller wearing a Cousteau Constant Volume Suit, and using the Calypso regulator in a test chamber.

John

Attachments

• Keller with Calypso.jpg
    Keller with Calypso.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 87
Just a thousand feet, what the hay? N

Here is how I have been mixing the PRAM with a modern reg on a set of 1970s twin 72s. The manifold is the old Sherwood Benjimin crossover.

Attachments

• TWINS.jpg
    TWINS.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Twins 1.jpg
    Twins 1.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 76
  • twins 2.jpg
    twins 2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 78
Here is how I have been mixing the PRAM with a modern reg on a set of 1970s twin 72s. The manifold is the old Sherwood Benjimin crossover.

In order to avoid the interference must of us have swapped the secondary valve to face back on the left side. It works very well. The hoses in the double hose have plenty of clearance with the secondary valve facing back and the DH regulator is perfect near you back. Nemrod can probably post some pictures of his rig. He has a nice set up.

That is a great valve. With a single stage Mistral it allows the use of alternate regulator for my BC and dry suit.

I really like that valve, but when I am diving the Phoenix I normally just put a dummy firsts stage with a QD hose (and a pressure relief valve) just to plug the port on the second valve outlet. The Phoenix has all the accessories. I know...I know their is no redundancy and I am going to die. :wink: But maybe I just like to live on the edge..."If you are not living on the edge you are taking to much space" (quote from a different thread). :D

Here's how I have my Sherwood valve set up:
HealthwaysScubaRegulator1.jpg

Here I'm showing it with a Healthways Scuba regulator (not a particularly good breathing regulator, but my first in about 1959). You can see that the second regulator sets nicely, without interference, even with the Healthways Scuba (which has both hoses coming off the case at the same part of the case--how they got around the USD patent during their first years).
HealthwaysScubaRegulator--topview.jpg

SeaRat

In order to avoid the interference must of us have swapped the secondary valve to face back on the left side. It works very well. The hoses in the double hose have plenty of clearance with the secondary valve facing back and the DH regulator is perfect near you back. Nemrod can probably post some pictures of his rig. He has a nice set up.

That is a great valve. With a single stage Mistral it allows the use of alternate regulator for my BC and dry suit.
Thanks Luis for the tip on the valve setup. I hadn't thought of that. I finally found one of those valves on e-bay a few months back, and it will be 1 of my winter projects.

Thanks Luis for the tip on the valve setup. I hadn't thought of that. I finally found one of those valves on e-bay a few months back, and it will be 1 of my winter projects.

Like John (SeaRat) said, it works even with his Healthways. It works even better with any US Divers, because the exhaust horn is further away from the valve.

And this:

DSCF0593.jpg

I have several of these style manifolds including one with three posts. Flipping the regulator to the left post and reverse mounting it works good, have been doing this now for several years. I am using an old Voit MR12 in this pic.

N

If I was to dedicate my 72s and a reg to the double hose, I would do the manifold reversal. But I just use these tanks too often here in Long Island Sound. I also use the single hose reg with my primary reg on a single 125 with an H valve for the second dive.

Now if I had just not sold those other two sets of 72s over the past 5 years I could dedicate a set to double hose-ing.

You know, I just thought, I could flip the second valve on the H valve in the same way .....

Thinking, Thinking

Back
Top Bottom