Question Dive Operation in Fajardo Circa 1962?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stinky

New
Reaction score
I learned to dive in Fajardo, PR at the dive operation at the El Conquistador around 1962. I was there for a few weeks every year and we used double hose regs and Navy tables. The owner had a son my age and we became friends. I bumped into him at DEMA a few years ago and can't remember his name. He had a company that was involved in Dive Safety. Ring any Bells?

Thanks!
Bob
www.sinkthestink.com

I think you are talking about Walt Hendricks jr. He goes by a nickname, but I can't remember what it is.
I am basing my assumption on your statement: "He had a company that was involved in Dive Safety."

I think he goes by Butch and I should be able to find his company name. I have ran into him several times and we have talked about his dad and Puerto Rico.

I started diving in PR around 1971. I also started working at Divers Service Center that same year.

By the time I started diving, I don't remember hearing a bout any dive operator at El Conquistador, but Walt Hendricks (senior) was running the decompression chamber in Cabo Rojo.

OK, I found some information with a couple of pictures.

Is this who you are talking about?

Diving Pioneer v2  Walt Hendrick  _Page_1.jpg

Diving Pioneer v2  Walt Hendrick  _Page_2.jpg

Attachments

• Diving Pioneer v2  Walt Hendrick  _Page_1.jpg
    Diving Pioneer v2 Walt Hendrick _Page_1.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Diving Pioneer v2  Walt Hendrick  _Page_2.jpg
    Diving Pioneer v2 Walt Hendrick _Page_2.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 51
Well, I found another article about Walt "Butch" Hendrick Jr., which places him in El Conquistador Hotel with his family about the time you are talking about. So it all seems to match. :cool:

lifelong_lifeguard_hendrik-4thqtr_sources  OCR-2 _Page_1.jpg

lifelong_lifeguard_hendrik-4thqtr_sources  OCR-2 _Page_2.jpg

lifelong_lifeguard_hendrik-4thqtr_sources  OCR-2 _Page_3.jpg

lifelong_lifeguard_hendrik-4thqtr_sources  OCR-2 _Page_4.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom