First BPW assembly issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sandyletu

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm running into alignment issues with the grommet in the webbing and the top holes in the BP. Every video I've found shows the grommet lining up with one of the holes; mine doesn't line up at all. Even if it did line up with one, how would the other two holes be used?

Setup:
Apeks WTX aluminum BP
DGX Gears S1 wing
No STA
Book bolts to keep the wing from flapping about

Picture attached of the current setup. This puts the wing high enough that the lower cam band barely fits through the wing and puts extra stress on the stitching.

All I can think of is tri glides at the shoulders so the center piece of webbing has slack to move.

Attachments

• 20230830_114500.jpg
    20230830_114500.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 117
Edit. There is a thread on here already about the grommets not lining up unless it is offset on the webbing.

Attachments

• IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 118
I'm running into alignment issues with the grommet in the webbing and the top holes in the BP. Every video I've found shows the grommet lining up with one of the holes; mine doesn't line up at all. Even if it did line up with one, how would the other two holes be used?

Setup:
Apeks WTX aluminum BP
DGX Gears S1 wing
No STA
Book bolts to keep the wing from flapping about

Picture attached of the current setup. This puts the wing high enough that the lower cam band barely fits through the wing and puts extra stress on the stitching.

All I can think of is tri glides at the shoulders so the center piece of webbing has slack to move.
Your upper webbing cross over appears to be incorrectly placed. It is not routed correctly. The photo of @JoeTPhilly is correct.

Plus, your set up for single, you don’t need to put anything through the grommet hole, it’s just there so a doubles bolt will fit, it’s not to secure the webbing to the plate.

Plus, your set up for single, you don’t need to put anything through the grommet hole, it’s just there so a doubles bolt will fit, it’s not to secure the webbing to the plate.
I'd still like to use the book bolts to keep the wing in place when it's not on a tank. The webbing is preventing me from using the lower two holes.

Your upper webbing cross over appears to be incorrectly placed. It is not routed correctly. The photo of @JoeTPhilly is correct.
I'm not seeing the difference. His picture is from the back while mine is from the front.

You are not supposed to have the lower horizontal webbingpart there.
Unthread it. Start with the webbing with grommet aligned with a hole, horizontal to the plate on the back side. Then thread either side through the slanted hole on the respective side, back to front. Then, up and through the horizontal top slots from front to back. (This is not logical) Then, pull the webbing over the top of the plate, down and continue.
Picture unserimoniously stolen from unknown place on the interwebs to show point.
This is plate from the front. As you can se, there is no horizontal webbing crossing on the top part.

Attachments

• Skjermbilde 2023-08-30 kl. 23.59.07.png
    Skjermbilde 2023-08-30 kl. 23.59.07.png
    455.5 KB · Views: 81
Is it possible that your webbing is upside down? The hole isn’t in the middle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 96
The short answer is that if you want to use your current webbing and use the book screws to hold your wing in place then you decide which hole you want to use and melt a new hole in the webbing that is lined up with the hole in the plate to pass the book screws through.

The long answer is that some makers/marketers of backplates will offset the hole/grommet to one side of the webbing so it lines up with a hole, some makers/marketers put it in the center of the webbing without thinking about how the hole/grommet will line up, still some others don't put a hole/grommet at all. Many folks have experienced the same frustration you are currently faced with. When folks replace worn out harness webbing hey tend to choose webbing without a grommet and just melt a hole themself. There is typically no reason to have access to all the holes as one would only use one hole, so figure out where you want your wing to sit and melt a hole with hot screwdriver or awl that lines up with one of the holes in your plate.

-Z

I'm not seeing the difference. His picture is from the back while mine is from the front.

Yes, I see that now, the close up picture threw me off, sorry for that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom