Finding a (Best) Dive Op in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I suggested in Post 87 (2021) and Post 116 (2022) that this thread be pinned, and there was a moderator reply in Post 121. I get it, kind of, but sure seems like it would be worth considering an exception to the general rule and pinning and leaving unlocked so that one of the most useful posts in this sub-forum could be updated and found near the top.
Based on what I read in Post 121, I wonder if a pinned message that was simply a short description of the sheet and a link to that sheet on google docs, or wherever. At least I thought the sheet was on the web somewhere. It could be a one message thread and would update when the sheet is updated.

So maybe you should go to the thread occasionally and bump it.
Or maybe all “us regular Cozumel forum readers” could just conspire to give it a bump every time it hits page 2. I pledge to try to remember.

The Curacao forum has 6 pinned threads, Bonaire only one. I am not sure how the system works in order to create more pinning in the Cozumel forum. I am sure that moderating these forums is a huge commitment and at times a PITA. This thread would be an amazing sticky.

I think this thread would be a horrible sticky thread. No one wants to wade through hundreds of posts to parse out the dozen posts containing good. We read it over time, a few at a time, but it's overwhelming to someone new.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

You folks are recognizing the issue in terms of keeping this thread current and relevant. Perhaps one of you would care to summarize the "latest and greatest", and add post references to the part of the thread where that discussion occurs. A bit of work, but it would generate discussion and more input, in and of itself.

Well, I tried posting a link to Jonhall's latest update, but my skills failed me.

I thought that he was taking on too much to keep up to date with his original idea, but he has done great! :cheer: After the challenge of finding the latest update, one then has to deal with being overwhelmed by so much information on so many dive ops, but deal with it.

🏆

Just make a new thead and request to make them pinned and close to replies.
Also the 2 existing pinned should be updated or removed. The directions are wrong! Shuttle counters are now 2 lefts and at the end of the hall.

Here is a travel guide I plagiarized from sources and updated for my friends. Ifvsomeone wants to make a new pinned thread or update further.
"
Airport Immigration and Customs-

Form may or may not be provided to you on the plane and should be completed before landing if provided. The only form you need to fill out is the Custom Form (one per family, last name). Remember to pack a pen! You can get form immigration inside if not available on plane. There is usually someone walking the throngs of people to help. One given to each head of household (last Name). This form will be given to the representative at the Security screening after retrieving your luggage (sometimes on Plane). Be careful of dates since they use day/month/year vs month/day/year format.

Follow the crowd from the plane into the customs and immigration line. The plane disembarks from the Front and the most times the Back also. So the quickest way MAY be behind you! There is a bathroom as soon as you enter the Immigration area.

After the passport process you walk about 20 feet to baggage claim. Along that 20 foot walk there are food (drug?) sniffing dogs to make sure you don’t have any food (especially fruit) in your carry on (excellent cheap grocery stores on island, we visit them often). Don’t bring food (especially fruit) in your carry on or checked bags, the dog will find it and you will be stuck filling out multiple forms and your food will be thrown away. Pick up your bags at baggage carousel. You then carry them another 20 feet and put them on a conveyor belt for xray (looking for food and beverages).

After baggage security screening your next step will be to play Red Light Green Light! They may ask if you have cigarettes of E-Cigarettes. They are Strick about the number of packs of cigarettes you can bring into the country. They will ask if you have any and will fine you if you are over the allowed limit. E-cigarettes are ILLEGAL. Large fine if you possess vaping or E-cigarettes.

You will be asked to press the button (one press per family) If you get a Green light (most times). If you get a Red light, or if the security inspector merely questions an item or items, he/she may have you stop at the adjacent desk in order to have your luggage hand inspected. All controlled prescriptions (painkillers, psychotropics…) must be in original prescription bottles. Also Sudafed is a controlled substance in Mexico.

Transportation to Hotels/Condo-

After playing Red Light Green Light in customs you will go through the sliding doors into the DREADED timeshare lobby. (Drama Music In Background, “Da, Da, Daaaa!,). There will be chaos, tons of people, lots of signs. Your MISSION at this point, is to get to the transportation ticket counter in this corridor to purchase transportation ticket! YOU CANNOT JUST GO OUTSIDE AND JUST GET A TAXI !!!! Taxi is only allowed to drop off passengers. There are 2 Shuttle companies that have exclusive transportation from the airport. Whatever option you choose, do NOT get round trip ticket.

After Red light Green light you WILL be approached by multiple, multiple, multiple timeshare salespeople many pretending to be rental car, taxi, h shuttle, hotel representatives or you may be offered free transportation, assistance, or questioned as to where you are staying... IGNORE IT ! Just say “NO THANK YOU”. These are ploys and practices used by the timeshare reps to get you to a timeshare presentation counter. Don’t worry, it is the last you will deal with these people. *****This is the most important paragraph of this tutorial, ****** Ignore the people inside that COME UP TO YOU, they will tell you ANYTHING.****

Shuttle (TAXI) Counter
Now that you read the last paragraph multiple times, after Red Light Green Light game you exit leaving the sliding doors from Customs into time share and Shuttle transportation area, make a LEFT and another LEFT and go to the END of the hall through glass doors to the TAXI booths. Ignore ALL people on your way. The sign should read TAXI. Cozushuttle is on the left and Flexishuttle is on right ( The shuttle companies are next to each other). Once you made a beeline to this counter you purchase transportation to the condo/hotel. You can take a Colectivo (shared van) and that is the cheapest or a private auto is a bit faster (not worth it IMHO) Tell the counter person you’re Hotel/condo Zone (or name) and number of people in your group i.e. 1, 2…. They usually speak good English. She will tell you how much and Exact Change is recommended because they run out of change. Pay them and they will give you a ticket(s). The ticket transaction is brief and basic. Anything more and you are at the wrong place. DO NOT get round trip, you will take a taxi back to airport. It is much cheaper. Go out the sliding doors that lead outside.

To the Shuttle –

With tickets in hand and you are outside you will see several parked white shuttle vans. Here there is attendant that directs you to your auto or van you will get in based upon the Zone and service. You are out of the time share area so talking to these people is a must. Show them your tickets (only the driver takes your ticket) and tell them where you are going (zone) and if you have a Private Auto tell them. The attendant will show you what van (or private auto) is yours and the driver load your luggage. The shared van does not leave until completely filled (10-12 passengers). Private auto leaves immediately. Once inside the Van or Car the driver will take your ticket. Tell the Driver what hotel/condo you arecstaying. Watch your luggage at every stop. Sometimes (rare, but it did happen once) the driver removes the wrong bag from the van and he will have to double back to get it."

I think this thread would be a horrible sticky thread. No one wants to wade through hundreds of posts to parse out the dozen posts containing good. We read it over time, a few at a time, but it's overwhelming to someone new.
I agree. It makes me wonder if it would work the same way as posting a link to the spreadsheet in a pinned message would work. Couldn't the post in a pinned thread have a link to this thread too, just like a link to the spreadsheet? There wouldn't be a need to update the single post in the pinned thread. If you click on the link to the spreadsheet in that post, you go to the newest version of the sheet. The same with a link to this thread. When you click on the link in the pinned post, you are taken to this thread and it will have all the posts current to whenever a person clicks on the link.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

You folks are recognizing the issue in terms of keeping this thread current and relevant. Perhaps one of you would care to summarize the "latest and greatest", and add post references to the part of the thread where that discussion occurs. A bit of work, but it would generate discussion and more input, in and of itself.
How about a sticky with a link to the online spreadsheet

And then include a link to this thread so folks can find the latest discussion and/or updates before they make it into the spreadsheet:

Would that be possible?

How about a sticky with a link to the online spreadsheet

And then include a link to this thread so folks can find the latest discussion and/or updates before they make it into the spreadsheet:

Would that be possible?
That's what I'm talking about.

One could even take the opportunity to explain to people in the beginning of the pinned post that it will be much easier for people to make good suggestions if they know where you're staying, and that if you don't know where you are staying or what the options are, it would be helpful for people to know what kind of accommodations one is looking for. Same with dive ops. If they have an idea of what they want, knowing that will be helpful to others when they make recommendations.

Back
Top Bottom