fin foot pocket fit (say that 10 times quickly!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chris_b

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
First of all, thanks to all those who helped us out a number of months ago in finding dive supply shops and snorkeling spots in Florida. We visited a number of them when we were down there over Thanksgiving and it was really nice to be able to look at and touch the equipment. We actually bought a shortie wetsuit for my wife because she got too chilly snorkeling in the fall temps and also each bought a nice snorkel rather than buy the throwaway one at the parks.

We had a great time snorkeling in Biscayne nat'l park and Pennekamp state park. It gave my wife Kaori some motivation for our OW class, which we've just started.

That leads me to my question. I'm trying on different fins and I don't know how tight my foot & bootie (I have 3mm ankle-length booites) should be in the foot pocket. One size is very snug and feels "connected" but it touches my instep in a spot that I think might cause some small discomfort or possible cramping. The next larger size is also quite comfortable but I think it has just a hair more "play" side to side if I yank on it. However, it touches my instep in a more comfortable (higher up) area.

Any words of wisdom on how to choose between sizes?

Thanks!

Chris

Too snug=foot cramps

Foot should wiggle a bit side to side in the pocket and is not a problem.

The pocket is too long if you have to snug the strap to the last, or close to last notch. The neoprene booties compress under water and people using standard rubber straps with notched stops often have to snug them a bit more at depth. If you get to the end and it is still loose, it may be a problem.

Enjoy!

Comfort will be the way to go. Unless the fin is really loose, going with the larger size will be the right way.

It will really be a pain (yes pain), to use an uncomfortable fin, especially on back to back dives.

Ari :)

Thanks everyone for the responses. I decided to go with the larger foot pocket fin, and was able to try them out today in the pool. They felt fine, though parts of my legs that I don't usually feel got worn out very quickly! Today was our first pool day breathing underwater, so it was a lot of fun.

Just as a data point, the fins are Aeris Velocity size L/XL and I'm wearing size 9 men's 3mm booties (I think they're made by Henderson and they have a spooky-looking octopus on the bottom).

Thanks again!

Chris

Where you sitting down when you tried on the fins? Was you leg extended with the toe pointed out, like you would be in the water? If you had your foot in the standing position (perpendicular to your leg) and pulled up on the blade, yes it put pressure on your instep. You will not be diving that way.

If there is play in your fin (moving back and forth) on your foot with your leg streched out in diving position, then it is too big. You will spend more energy fighting the fin, and get more muscle cramps trying to control them.

Best bet: try the fins on while sitting and toes pointed out. Have someone stand on the blade and raise foot keeping your heel on the floor. See if you feel any pressure on your instep. With your heel on the floor, shake your foot back and forth fast...does the fin move. And, make sure you can still wiggle your toes. That is the best way to see if fins fit. Make sure you try them on with your boots though...each boot is different.

XL fins with size 9 boots seems a bit big, but the sole of your boot could make you go up a fin size.

Hope this helps!

Originally posted by scubabunny
Where you sitting down when you tried on the fins? Was you leg extended with the toe pointed out, like you would be in the water? If you had your foot in the standing position (perpendicular to your leg) and pulled up on the blade, yes it put pressure on your instep. You will not be diving that way.

Yes, I was sitting on a chair with my legs extended out. I was shaking and wiggling my feet every which way (probably looked pretty goofy) and couldn't tell much of a difference in terms of play between the two sizes. I even asked my wife to wiggle them for me and see if she could tell a difference in play.

I think the fins are not really an "XL" because they only have three sizes, i.e. S/M=small, M/L=medium, L/XL=large. Also my booties have a substantial sole on them, and though they're size 9 I usually wear a size 10 or 10.5 street shoe. Anyway, I'm satisfied with the fit now.

Wow, interesting to see someone from Guam here. We spent a week there over New Year's a few years ago (I think '98?) and had a great time. Everything was so cheap compared to Japan (where we were living at the time), I think we paid US$250 for an entire week at a hotel. But it almost felt like we hadn't left Japan with all the Japanese tourists there!

Well, thanks for the advice!

Chris

Originally posted by scubabunny
XL fins with size 9 boots seems a bit big, but the sole of your boot could make you go up a fin size.

Hope this helps!

The Henderson booties are prety solid on the bottoms. I wear an 8-1/2 EEEE shoe and have to use size 10 Henderson booties to make them fit with reasonable comfort for width. It leaves a bit of extra space in the toe but I find that doesn't bother me.

When I got my drysuit, I had to get new fins as the drysuit booties are similar in shape to the hendersons. The extra space here does mean I must use double ankle weights (3 lb per foot) as there is more airspace in the boot than I would like. I'm guessing as I get better at diving the drysuit I'll be able to remove one set.

My old fins, used with Akona booties much less substantial than the Hendersons, were WAY too small. I figured since I was getting the larger fins I'd go ahead and get the larger booties so I wouldn't have to switch back and forth...

I can comfortably get my feet into the new XL fins with the stiffener inserts still in with the old Akona booties. The new henderson booties fit in snug without being tight. Just to give you an idea as to the size difference.

Back
Top Bottom