Filmmaker Rob Stewart's family files wrongful death lawsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what i have read, i would not think the 6 months ccr experience is problem.

But 3 deep dives to 70 m in one day?

Yeah. I don't believe that's what they're after either. Money is not the issue here: justice is.

A couple of questions. If Sotis is claiming he was not on the boat in a professional capacity, do his agency and their insurance have cause to abandon him? Apparently, he's filed for bankruptcy, so where is he going to get cash to pay for a lawyer at this point? The Libyans?
If he was not there in a professional capacity what would his culpability be? His certification or insurance agency would have no cause to defend him if he wasn't liable.

If he was not there in a professional capacity what would his culpability be? His certification or insurance agency would have no cause to defend him if he wasn't liable.
That's not how it works.

Yeah. I don't believe that's what they're after either. Money is not the issue here: justice is.

A couple of questions. If Sotis is claiming he was not on the boat in a professional capacity, do his agency and their insurance have cause to abandon him? Apparently, he's filed for bankruptcy, so where is he going to get cash to pay for a lawyer at this point? The Libyans?

That's a Bull **** comment coming from a moderator, but if that's were you want to take this discussion maybe his getting the money from your mother.

That's about enough. Both of you back to your corners. You are both dive professionals, you both know how professional liability insurance works. You have insurance because whether you were acting in a professional capacity or not, we can be sued frivolously. We can be sued for revenge. Dive professionals know that sometimes poop occurs, regardless of the actions we take and we become big fat targets. We have professional liability insurance so that we can have a decent defense when some pissed off parent takes aim at us for their kid making a dumb mistake. Whatever your personal feelings, lawsuits are bad and this BS is bad publicity for diving.

This thread, about a good man gone, what lessons can be learned has gone South fast.

For those who are considering CCR as an option, for those making deep exploratory dives,
the thread could be of value.

Yes, every instructor, store owner, boat operator should have professional liability insurance.

Hope this derailed thread gets back on track.

From what i have read, i would not think the 6 months ccr experience is problem.

But 3 deep dives to 70 m in one day?

It seems to me that 3 deep dives to 70 m in one day is not the problem either. It is already in their dive plan for weeks, from reading David Concannon statement, posted earlier by CuzzA (see post #68):

....."‹ The family alleges that Peter Sotis, Claudia Sotis and Add Helium were involved in the charter of the dive vessel Pisces from Horizon Divers. In fact, they had nothing to do with the charter. The vessel was chartered by Rob Stewart, Brock Cahill and their production company directly from Horizon Divers in early December 2016, and their plan was always to dive three dives each day. In fact, Horizon Divers moved the vessel further north to cut transit time to the wreck each day to allow the filmmakers to make three dives per day. Peter and Claudia Sotis were invited to participate in the charter by the filmmakers. As a commercial filming operation, the filmmakers and the dive boat owner both had legal duties to ensure the safety of everyone on board the vessel."...

Passing out at the surface sounds like breathing wrong gas mixture.

Remember, Concannon has an agenda here. He won't lie, but what he writes may not be the whole truth.

But depending on conditions and dive team, I don't see that 3 dives is completely out of line. Perhaps not 3 four hour dives, but we have no idea what the dive planning was. Just like we don't know the make up of the dive team. Just like we don't know much other than Rob is dead.

Remember, Concannon has an agenda here. He won't lie, but what he writes may not be the whole truth.
Slightly OT, but in a city I used to live, I got involved in politics due to overly corrupt city counsel members and the legislation they were hoping to pass. One was a lawyer by profession. While I despised the man, I had to really tip my hat to his ability to twist the truth just short of lying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom