Feedback on Grand Cayman dive sites for new guidebook

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have done it from hepps to turtle and back on a single tank but I was moving and stayed relatively shallow.

Ian yes it can be done only problem is transportation to from etc. Plus tank rental.....basically logistics.

You can see the start of where hepps starts from the water at turtle reef I have headed that way many times and reached the beginning and turned back to Macabucca.

Perfect - thanks. I get the logistics issues. For mapping though it might be best for us to place them both on the same double page spread. We're talking about a mini-ledge approximately 200ft from shore correct? So when you enter from Macubuca do you usually head south to explore Turtle Reef? Also, I have a questions about Hepp's Pipeline - do you know why it has that name? Is there actually a pipeline at the site? Thanks, Ian

Turtle Reef goes in both directions. I happen to like going north better, the Tarpon are to the south :)

I believe Hepp's Pipeline is named because it is two mini-walls with sand in between.

You could do both Turtle Reef and Hepps in one dive but why would you. From the entry at Macabuca, you can go north or south. Both directions are interesting.

I always thought Hepps was named because there is an overhang at the top of the miniwall that looks like breaking surf.

IMO more fun to go slow, enjoy the view and do the other site as a second dive.

When you find Hepps condos please let us know......LOL

Ian there is a sub forum for the Cayman Islands under the "Greater Antilles" forum you would be better going on there and getting feed back from people who Dive there on a regular basis also those that Live Work and Own on island are all regulars there.

Cayman Islands

Are you trying to do something like this?

Dive 365

And please let me know when you find Hepps condos and Hepps arch...LOL
Hepps is also called Hepps Pipeline.. just saying

Ian yes it can be done only problem is transportation to from etc. Plus tank rental.....basically logistics.

You can see the start of where hepps starts from the water at turtle reef I have headed that way many times and reached the beginning and turned back to Macabucca.

It would also be wise to take into account, the direction of the current , when contemplating diving between the two sites. It is not all that unusual for the current to be running one way on the top of the mini wall/ hardpan, and the opposite direction at the base of the mini wall. Can it be done? Sure all factors taken into account, but as others have stated, you would most likely need to stay a top the mini wall and be in constant motion. Since there can be a 30 ft difference in depth from the bottom of the mini wall to the top, you would be missing a bunch by limiting yourself to strictly the edge of the drop off. Each of these sites have numerous areas to be explored. Starting with the hard pan, the mini wall itself, the bottom of the mini wall, the sand channel between the mini and the main wall, the coral heads sitting in that sand channel, then the main deep wall itself. Then you have a different dive depending if you head south or north. These are distinctly different sites and should be approached as such.IMHO

Regarding Hepp's questions/discussion.

There is no arch At Hepp's. Although, as mentioned previously there is one at Bonnie's Arch (and the respective condo site with shore access) I have only done the dive ones by boat and it was enjoyable.

Back on topic.

Access to either Hepp's site for shore diving is best from the ladder located on the iron shore in front of Coconut Bay condos or by boat. Parking is limited if you are not staying at the condos. There are tank/weight rentals and setup benchs/showers also.

Hepp's Pipeline is the mooring nearest shore. Top of the wall is about 30 feet. Bottom of the wall is 65-70. I've done this site approaching 50 times over 7 trips and never get sick of it. On go good day with minimal current bottom time and air consumption is your only limiting factors. I've made it from the mooring well past the turtle reef entry and back at a relaxed pace maximizing my bottom time and air usage and ending up over 70 minutes on a dive ( surface swam out then started descent @ mooring ball). If you want to ensure getting down into the turtle reef starting point or further, departing from the ladder and swimming more toward the wall/turtle reef side than straight out to the mooring is beneficial but current should be assed especially if its running south. Current is typically the judge of the dive we end up doing at Hepp's It can change in a matter of hours. or even drastically change its intensity over the course of a dive. The entry is also affected pretty heavily by the winter swell. I've been there for a week long visits and only had 1 day of diving at Hepp's but easy access just down the road at Divetech.

Hepp's Wall is the outer mooring and a decent but doable swim. I've personally have only been shore diving hepp's as we own a unit in Coconut bay. I have not made the trek out to the outer wall typically due to current or conditions that aren't favorable and once for just not wanting to swim that far long for a deep dive (I do regret that decision because it was like glass and gin clear, but it was 7 AM on a trip with my 8 month old daughter who didn't sleep well the night before). Divetech's swim is a bit shorter to the outer wall site and the pool entry and exit is enjoyable.

Current is typically the judge of the dive we end up doing at Hepp's It can change in a matter of hours. Its also affected pretty heavily by the winter swell. I've been there for a week and only had 1 day of diving at Hepp's but easy access just down the road at divetech.

I've probably forgotten more helpful information. Any questions about the sites or condos ask here or message me. I'm happy to answer to the best of my knowledge or defer to someone else who may have more experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom