Feedback on Grand Cayman dive sites for new guidebook

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Trailboss re shore dive priority.

On the North, some of the more popular sites include;
Ghost Mountain
Eagle Ray Pass
Princess Penny's Pinnacle
Lemon Wall and Reef
Lesley's Curl

Babylon should also be on any Cayman dive guide.

I don't get South and East much so someone else will have to chime in. Several GC divemasters frequent this board and they should be able to help you.

by the way, if you are back in March, you may not get out to the north wall much because of weather.

Ah, good to know. Wasn't aware of the weather issue on the north shore in March. Good to know. Thanks. Great feedback from everyone on here - many thanks for that. We have a much more refined list now. Many thanks.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for reaching out and offer their advice. We'll pull together a primary list and a back (if weather causes issues) from these suggestions. Will definitely be aiming to map a number of shore sites. I'll reach back out to the group and update when we have completed the second round of data collection. The maps take several months to complete, so we should be done with the next batch by summer, and ready to publish. Thanks again for all your help.

Someone in this thread mentioned hepps condos and hepps arch...…..I am still waiting for them to tell us where that is.
OK so I got the name wrong - it's Coconut Bay. I thought the site was named Hepps Arch but is there an arch at the Pipeline?

OK so I got the name wrong - it's Coconut Bay. I thought the site was named Hepps Arch but is there an arch at the Pipeline?
OUCH, in his defense, it can be very annoying when folks perpetuate the wrong names for sites, condos etc on the island.
Its Hepps Pipeline, and has been since the late 70s as I recall.

So diversteve when was the last time you were on Cayman and how often do you go there.

Seem like you continue to post erroneous info about Cayman and third party info which you read on the internet and have very little or no real recent experience on Cayman

It seems that a moderator should refrain from profanity and insults but it's probably because you are trying hide the fact that you have very little real time knowledge of Cayman

I'll wait for your answer as you see I can respond without profanity or insulting you.

Hi everyone. I'm reaching out for a little advice. I work for Reef Smart Guides and we're in the middle of completing a detailed dive and snorkel guide, including 3D site maps, for the Cayman Islands. We've got Little Cayman and Cayman Brac covered, but at present we only have about 10 sites mapped on Grand Cayman and they are all West Coast dives along the Seven Mile Beach area. We're looking to return to Cayman next month to map an additional 5 or 6 sites on the north, east and south coasts. We want some advice on which sites would make the best (and most useful) maps to complete and represent a decent cross-section of the diving there. We can't map every site of course, but we want to get make sure we hit the highlights. Several people had suggested: Babylon, Grouper Grotto, The Maze, Julie's Wall, Fish Tank, Bat Caves, Pedro's, Lighthouse Reef, Tunnel of Love. We're looking for some feedback on what might be considered the best of Grand Cayman's north, south and east coasts. Thanks!
Can’t wait to grab a copy!

Hepps Pipeline is the miniwall just north of Turtle Reef/Macabuca. I too hate misinformation and or third hand opinions.

You can get there from shore from Coconut Bay condos as they have an entry. Most do this site as a boat dive and there is a mooring there. Never seen an Arch at Hepps. Maybe poster is conflating with Bonnie's Arch which is a a little further south.

It seems that a moderator should refrain from profanity and insults

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

It's been mentioned once or twice - or more - on this board that unless a moderator posts with their mod hat clearly visible, they post as a normal board member. And are subjected to the same standards and under the same rules as any other board member.

This has been a public service message. Now y'all play nice, mmmmkay?

Hepps Pipeline is the miniwall just north of Turtle Reef/Macabuca. I too hate misinformation and or third hand opinions.

You can get there from shore from Coconut Bay condos as they have an entry. Most do this site as a boat dive and there is a mooring there. Never seen an Arch at Hepps. Maybe poster is conflating with Bonnie's Arch which is a a little further south.

Is it possible to do Turtle Reef and Hepp's Pipeline in the same dive? It appears that they are adjacent to each other, unless my research is wrong, and you could probably enter at Turtle and exit at Hepp's, or vice versa. Does that sound right?

Ian yes it can be done only problem is transportation to from etc. Plus tank rental.....basically logistics.

You can see the start of where hepps starts from the water at turtle reef I have headed that way many times and reached the beginning and turned back to Macabucca.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom