Feedback on Grand Cayman dive sites for new guidebook

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think anyone has a problem with providing corrections or noting that the media reports might be wrong. It's the suggestion that it is insulting, whimsical nonsense to post news articles that is, for me, unnecessary. It wasn't some random rumor. The news often gets it wrong, and that deserves correction, but it's hardly rumor mongering or irresponsible to post what's been reported and start the conversation.

I spend 3-4 weeks a year diving in Cayman. I do not claim to be a local expert. When I'm not there talking to my local friends, I try to keep up at least a little with the news, which is the best alternative. We would all appreciate the "full story" from a local if the news isn't accurate. Isn't that what SB is for?

I appreciate your contributions as I appreciate Kathy's and I'd like to see both continue.

This issue is also being hashed out here, with similar responses

Cayman Expands Marine Protection and No-Take and No-Dive Areas

It makes no sense to hold anyone but the publishers responsible for what gets published in their newspaper or TV broadcasts. And by the way, I consider the new regs that will enhance marine life to be good news for divers and visitors. So post away, @KathyV !

I just got a nice message from Ian Popple, the OP for this thread, he thanked me for alerting him to the proposed site closures and said that they will "definitely keep track of this".

Exciting news! There are finding so many excellent dive sites in the Caymans that they are considering the possibility of creating 2 Cayman dive guides, one for Grand Cayman and another one for the Sister Islands. I hope that's what they decide to do!

I just got a nice message from Ian Popple, the OP for this thread, he thanked me for alerting him to the proposed site closures and said that they will "definitely keep track of this".

Exciting news! There are finding so many excellent dive sites in the Caymans that they are considering the possibility of creating 2 Cayman dive guides, one for Grand Cayman and another one for the Sister Islands. I hope that's what they decide to do!

Thank you Kathy. A single guide for the three islands might be a little too large unless we leave out some of the sites. Large books are more expensive in terms of printing and shipping, which of course increases the retail price. Two books would allow us to fit more in but then the sites for the sister islands would be in the separate book from Grand Cayman. Would love feedback from the board about this. Thanks

Because, when you drop down through the cut to the left of the buoy and look right and up, the overhang of the wall looks like a wave that is about to crash - hence the use of the surfer term "pipeline".

There is an open question right now whether the use of the dive station at Coconut Bay condos (which is how you get to the dive ladder leading to the two "Hepps" sites) is only for residents and guests of the condo complex. I am hoping to get some clarity on it from the owners in a few months when I am there.

As others have said, there is no arch there - the only arch that I know of in the area is at the dive site Bonnie's Arch, which is off shore from the Bonnie's Arch condos. Access there from the shore is very tricky if you aren't staying in the condo complex, as the dive ladder is not in place, and is padlocked up. So you would need to navigate across ironshore, which is not easy. Best to do that as a boat dive. If you're staying in the condos, though, it's a really nice shore dive.

Yes, it's possible to go in at Coconut Bay and come out at Macabuca (or the other way, depending on current). The surface walk between the two is a 3 minute walk, so if you park your car at Macabuca, and have to get out at Coconut Bay, one diver can walk down the road to fetch the car, while the others wait with the gear. Very easy to do. I have gone from Hepps Pipeline buoy to the Macabuca cut using less than half a tank, and I wasn't going fast.

I was wondering about access through the condos also. We were told by a couple of local dive pros that they had reminded by some of the residents that it was private property and that access is restricted. I would love to know for sure. Let me know you find the answer. Thanks.

I have seen these on a gin clear day form the inner wall and could just makeout the outer coral struct at the wall. The current was ripping so we ended up hanging out in the coves of the inner wall to avoid burning through air. Maybe on my next trip in September I will finally make it out there.

Ian, I don't suppose you know for the answer as to whether access to Hepps through Coconut Bay is restricted only to the owners do you? Thanks.

FWIW. Hepps Wall/Pipeline was named after the American DM working for Spanish Bay Reef who found it, Chuck Hepps. according to a reliable source.:)

That sounds right. He was a NAUI instructor, who co-founded UNEXSO in the Bahamas, and was also associated with Bob Sotos' Holiday Inn Dive Shop in Cayman. Chuck Hepp passed away in 2011.

I went shore diving from Coconut Bay twice last December without being a guest there. One of the owners of Stingray Watersports lives there and if you call him in advance, he will leave out tanks and weights for you, air or nitrox. He also manages rentals for the condos at Coconut which are spacious and well priced for GC.

We dropped off our gear, parked up by the road, got set up, went diving and there did not seem to be any raised eyebrows. Fairly long swim out to the buoy at Hepps.

The ladder at Macabuca is marginally better and sheltered, but the reef itself seems to be in better shape at Hepps than further south at Turtle. Both are excellent dives.

I think the OP is still looking for suggestions re popular dives east and south end of island.

Good to know about your experience. I was unsure whether the residents are ok with people turning up there.

He manages some of them, but not all.

I am an owner there (in the spirit of full disclosure) and I agree that they are spacious and well-priced. :)

And your point is exactly why I say that this is an open question right now that I hope to get resolved. Some owners have said that it's not for use by people who don't own or stay there, while others feel that it is fine. I will attempt to get that resolved, because it is a really nice shore dive, and I have posted before on this board that I recommend it to visitors.

The Strata (the owner's association) are the ones who own the dive station and pay to maintain the ladder, and while Stingray Watersports provides tanks and weights for a fee there, there is no formal association between the two.

I really hope that we can get some resolution on this.

Sorry to hijack this thread about the dive guide, but I feel I should correct information as it is posted.

Ahhh...should have read all the posts before replying earlier. Thanks for posting this. We dived both Hepp's and Turtle Reef on our return to Cayman last month and found both to be great dive. We focused on mapping Hepp's for the guidebook, which was the better of the two sites in our opinion. We stuck to the miniwall, rather than the drop-off. Definitely would be great to get clarity before we publish and would be happy to mention whatever instructions residents would like to pass on...even if that means visiting the site by entering and exiting elsewhere or by boat. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom