Favorite non bib hood for drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got a Waterproof H1 and Fourth Element, both bibless. No complaints with either. I particularly like the Waterproof as it's more ergonomic, but the FE isn't bad either. As far as longevity is concerned, the Waterproof has probably 600 and the DE about 250 dives, both holding up well. Internally the Waterproof is a bit worn from my raspy beard, but that's about it.

Size wise, both are XL, which is a pretty fair reflection of my bonce.

IMG_20220831_080235_228~2.jpg

I am partial to the K01 hoods. As a disclaimer, I am also a dealer for them.
The K01 8mm and the waterproof 10mm will be about the same warmth, I don't notice any difference in cold between the two.
Where they differ is comfort, the K01 is incredibly stretchy and soft, the waterproof isn't.
If you are looking for warmest for your dollar, the 10mm waterproof probably takes that.
If you are wanting more comfort and not that worried about the cost, try a k01.

Sorry for the thread necro. Would you be a good POC for a custom measurement K01? Debating between the 5mm and 8mm, but apparently I have a freakishly large heard (XXL on the K01 website).

Sorry for the thread necro. Would you be a good POC for a custom measurement K01? Debating between the 5mm and 8mm, but apparently I have a freakishly large heard (XXL on the K01 website).
I can certainly order you a custom. Have you tried on the XXL? Where is it tight?
As to the 8mm and 5mm. Where are you diving and how deep?

I can certainly order you a custom. Have you tried on the XXL? Where is it tight?
As to the 8mm and 5mm. Where are you diving and how deep?
Haven't been able to find one locally (SoCal) so just basing it off the measurements on their site somewhere in-between XL and XXL, I think. Was thinking of going custom to just avoid the return/exchange cycle with these high dollar hoods, deepening on the price difference. Diving is primarily SoCal waters, so lows would be upper 40s to low 50s, but primarily more in the mid 50s to low 60s. Depth is currently recreational but will be doing CCR helitrox sometime next year, once I feel comfortable and ready to progress. I also run warm normally so was leaning toward the 5mm.

Waterproof, but for sizing best to be able to try it on locally rather than buying online.

Haven't been able to find one locally (SoCal) so just basing it off the measurements on their site somewhere in-between XL and XXL, I think. Was thinking of going custom to just avoid the return/exchange cycle with these high dollar hoods, deepening on the price difference. Diving is primarily SoCal waters, so lows would be upper 40s to low 50s, but primarily more in the mid 50s to low 60s. Depth is currently recreational but will be doing CCR helitrox sometime next year, once I feel comfortable and ready to progress. I also run warm normally so was leaning toward the 5mm.
I like the 5mm for 72 degree water, much lower than that, I prefer the 8mm. The crush a fair amount at depth, so for deeper diving, I would always recommend the 8mm. I don't have an XL in stock at the moment, probably february before I get them back. I could send you an XXL to try on.
Custom is an option, but it is a substantially larger cost and wait time.

Thanks, I'll give XL a try. If it does the trick, it shouldn't be difficult to sell a lightly used K01.
I finally got around to trying an XL size in the K01. It fits great! I can't believe I spent two years diving with a hood that squeezed me unnecessarily. So I guess I am in the same boat as @Jim Lapenta, with a size L in every other brand I have owned fitting me just fine, but needing an XL in the K01. I'm 5'8" tall and proportionate build--hardly a Neanderthal head; I buy dress shirts in neck size 18 inches because I prefer a looser fit, but I'm probably a 16-1/2.
According to the K01 website a 22.5” circumference is a large. Let me know if you want to sell your large.
Sure, I'll sell my Large. If you are still interested, PM me.

Only ever used a 7mm Fourth Element. 310 dives on it, never been cold. Diving in the Salish Sea, at the south end of Vancouver Island; Pacific NW. Water is 7C in the winter, 9C - 11C in the summer.

Cheap: Fourth element
Expensive: KO1/Neo

Tried the waterproof 10mm. The stitching inside went directly across my ear and cause irritation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom