Favorite non bib hood for drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ca_Ghost

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok forgive me if this is beating a dead horse but for some reason when I try to search this topic using my IPhone (laptop is currently broken while I find a new rubber bumper for the spacebar).

Been away from diving for a few years now and am getting back into it with a new to me drysuit. Picked up a DUI CLX450 suit with undergarments at a deal I couldn’t pass up.

I’m going to be taking the drysuit course at a LDS soo and want to get a hood for the class.

Looking for a non bib 7-10mm hood for diving in Monterey.

The Waterproof H1 7/10mm looks to get good reviews. I know everyone’s head/faces are shaped differently and what fits you might not fit me but, there are always brands that excel ahead of the pack and some to absolutely steer clear of so I’m curious as to what everyone else uses and recommends.

I love my Waterproof hoods. I have three H1s. A 10/5, 7/5, and 5/3. They are the best hoods I've ever owned. I used the 10/5 and 7/5 for wreck diving in the Great Lakes and cold Midwest quarries. I use the 5/3 in the winters here in Florida since relocating.

I'm using the 7/5mm H1 here in Sweden in the winter (water a couple of degrees over freezing) and it works perfectly fine for me. I have several, though -- putting on a wet, frozen hood for dive number two is never fun... :)

I also hear good things about the Fourth Element and K01 hoods.

The K01 hood is the only hood I can stand. Soft stretchy neoprene, but without the interior cloth backing so it seals really well which counteracts any heat loss from stretching. They are so popular among cave divers that it seems like a majority of us use them.

The only negative is that it thins in a couple hundred dives, so it can get expensive if you really need an 8mm that will stay 8mm. I think they offer thicker through Dan's scuba shop in Canada.

I love my Waterproof hoods. I have three H1s. A 10/5, 7/5, and 5/3. They are the best hoods I've ever owned. I used the 10/5 and 7/5 for wreck diving in the Great Lakes and cold Midwest quarries. I use the 5/3 in the winters here in Florida since relocating.
How is the sizing for Waterproof? My head is 22.5 inches so I’m thinking a medium. Unfortunately I’m not finding a LDS that carrie’s these so I’m going to order one online.

Hands down K-01. Much warmer than my Waterproof Polartec Hood. There's another one that's supposedly equal to the K-01 but I forget the name and it came from a dealer, so it may not be an accurate statement.

I use the Bare Dry suit hood and it fits me great. I wanted to try the infrared one, but the regular one fitted better due to the large smothskin patches on it.

I much prefer NEO hoods to those of K01, but is at least in part a fit choice. Neither are inexpensive, but will purchase another NEO 13mm when my current one shrinks from repeated compression. Previous hoods included the K01 8mm, Waterproof 10/5mm, FE 7mm

How is the sizing for Waterproof? My head is 22.5 inches so I’m thinking a medium. Unfortunately I’m not finding a LDS that carrie’s these so I’m going to order one online.

Mine are mediums and I bought them online. I’ve found them true to their size chart.

Love the Waterproofs as well. 7/5 down to low 50s (F) -- haven't yet found the limit -- and 5/3 for cenotes in a 3 mil (low 70s).

You're right, fit will be critical. I've heard many good things about the Seasoft Ti Pro, but it didn't fit me right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom