Favorite Handheld Light Under ~$600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will try to take a picture of the different beams at some point.

I'm pretty happy with the LX20+

Did you ever take pictures of your LX20+ against your DGX 800s?

I am in the same position you were trying to decide on my first serious primary light, having used DGX 600 and 800s up to this point. They did me well for my Cave training but I am very aware I now need something brighter for a primary.

Are you still happy with your LX20+? Does it feel bulky on your hand?

Also seeing the 6' beam vs the larger 10' beans are you happy you chose the LX20+ over the HP50?

I have both the lx20 and hp50 handhelds.

The beam patterns are similar, but the hp50 is slightly wider. Its a non issue.

The hp50 on med matches the lx20 in brightness or close enough it was hard to tell underwater.

I am in the same position you were trying to decide on my first serious primary light, having used DGX 600 and 800s up to this point. They did me well for my Cave training but I am very aware I now need something brighter for a primary.

Also seeing the 6' beam vs the larger 10' beans are you happy you chose the LX20+ over the HP50?
I’ll be diving my new LX 20+ in a couple of weeks and can let you know what I think of it. I’m coming from a light monkey LED12. As far as comparison I don’t have a DGX 800 but am happy to take a crack at a comparison picture of the DGX 600 and the LX20+

I am still very happy with my LX20+ There some days when I wish the burntime was longer but I just run it on medium for 3+ hour dives. I have not taken photos for comparison but I am happy with the LX20+ beam. I'd prefer the LX20+ beam over the HP50 but that's just my personal preference. I like tighten beams in the cave for signaling. I take video lights when I want to do video/pictures.

It does not feel bulky in my hand to me although I am used to HID light heads which are pretty bulky

I’ll be diving my new LX 20+ in a couple of weeks and can let you know what I think of it. I’m coming from a light monkey LED12. As far as comparison I don’t have a DGX 800 but am happy to take a crack at a comparison picture of the DGX 600 and the LX20+

That would be great! Thanks!

I am still very happy with my LX20+ There some days when I wish the burntime was longer but I just run it on medium for 3+ hour dives. I have not taken photos for comparison but I am happy with the LX20+ beam. I'd prefer the LX20+ beam over the HP50 but that's just my personal preference. I like tighten beams in the cave for signaling. I take video lights when I want to do video/pictures.

It does not feel bulky in my hand to me although I am used to HID light heads which are pretty bulky

Thanks for the feedback and review. I must have read a dozen threads on the light and they all seem to be solid. I think my only concern was how it felt on the hand as I have not used a light that big before in a hand mount.

I remember you said you had the DGX 800 light. Do you notice a significant difference between the DGX 800 and the LX20+ in light output?

Thanks for the feedback and review. I must have read a dozen threads on the light and they all seem to be solid. I think my only concern was how it felt on the hand as I have not used a light that big before in a hand mount.

I remember you said you had the DGX 800 light. Do you notice a significant difference between the DGX 800 and the LX20+ in light output?
The only way you’d feel the LX20 was too heavy/bulky is if you have small hands/wrists, as I do. That’s part of the reason I prefer a can light now.

The only way you’d feel the LX20 was too heavy/bulky is if you have small hands/wrists, as I do. That’s part of the reason I prefer a can light now.

Just to add to this, if you wear a computer on the same hand as your light the rear will want to bump into it. I took a few pics of the light in this thread, if you want to check them out:

If you are concerned about the rear bulk, I've seen some nice stubby Big Blue lights on the Dive Rite QRM, that are pretty great.

Lastly, something to keep in mind about the LX20 is when it runs low on power, it doesn't just dim, it shuts off suddenly. You have to manually turn it down and let it burn. Can be unsettling in certain circumstances. My backup lights don't do that, they'll just continue to dim and burn for a very long time.

Just to add to this, if you wear a computer on the same hand as your light the rear will want to bump into it. I took a few pics of the light in this thread, if you want to check them out:

If you are concerned about the rear bulk, I've seen some nice stubby Big Blue lights on the Dive Rite QRM, that are pretty great.

Lastly, something to keep in mind about the LX20 is when it runs low on power, it doesn't just dim, it shuts off suddenly. You have to manually turn it down and let it burn. Can be unsettling in certain circumstances. My backup lights don't do that, they'll just continue to dim and burn for a very long time.
Depends on where you wear your computer. Mine is halfway up my forearm so LX20 never got in the way of Perdix OR dry glove rings.

@boriss thanks for the link to the other thread with the pictures. I wonder if the LX20+ will fit in the DGX soft hand mount like the CX2 does? I used a DGX 600 in their soft hand mount and loved it. I tried a DGX 800 in the same setup but it was too long and kept hitting my wrist when I flexed my wrist to pull and glide. The LX20 looks shorter though so I'm guessing that isn't a problem.

Like @Marie13 I wear my computer higher up my arm so that won't be an issue.

Also on the shut off, the dive rite website said it flashed and then stepped itself down rather than shutting off and leaving you in the dark? I'm guessing that isn't the case?!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom