Favorite Handheld Light Under ~$600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for all the information, that is really useful, and the progression you did from the LX20+ to a cannister light makes a lot of sense. I am just a baby Full Cave Diver, so I think a cannister light is a little way down the list for me after a new dry suit, gas analyzer, stage regs, second Shearwater, second set of doubles, and a couple more cave classes!!! (So much still to buy!).

In the meantime I think getting the LX20+ makes a lot of sense as it will carry me through to needing a cannister light. I like the duration of the batteries, and that I can replace them myself. I will just need to put it against the DGX 800 in the water to reassure me that the money got me a lot more light as well as the longer duration!!!

Lastly, something to keep in mind about the LX20 is when it runs low on power, it doesn't just dim, it shuts off suddenly. You have to manually turn it down and let it burn. Can be unsettling in certain circumstances. My backup lights don't do that, they'll just continue to dim and burn for a very long time.
This is not my experience; It does not shut off completely. While the LX20+ is indeed a constant output driver it will flash 3 times and go into low power mode. It is pretty dim and you should be exiting the cave or probably swapping to another light at this point but it will still provide light. EDIT: I realize there might be some differences between the original LX20 and the LX20+ but I dont know offhand.

From DiveRite (Dive Rite LX20+ LED Handheld Primary Light)
The step down is indicated by a series of flashes after which the LX20+ will continue to provide an additional 3+ hours of useable light.

I use a combination of DGX 600 and DGX 800 as backup lights. In a pinch I've used a DGX800 as a
"primary" and got about 110-120 minutes of light before it died. You may end up with less or more depending on condition of your batteries. I haven't burn tested mine recently. In my opinion they really aren't enough burntime for a primary but I guess it really depends on length of your dive. At least for the DGX600 they are small enough I carry 3 of them.

TL;DR - The LX20+ is a fantastic handheld primary. You may eventually out grow it but then it simply becomes your backup primary. If you are worried click down to Medium and youi're good for ~4.5 hours.

In a pinch I've used a DGX800 as a
"primary" and got about 110-120 minutes of light before it died.

Did you notice a big difference in light output between the DGX 800 and your LX20+?

I've got an Orcatorch clone whose output I believe to be similar to the DGX 600/800. It is comparable to the LX20+ on medium. Don't forget our eyes work logarithmically. It takes about 10x luminous flux to be perceived as "twice as bright".

As an aside, your buddies should turn their lights down a notch if yours can't easily be perceived.

I've got an Orcatorch clone whose output I believe to be similar to the DGX 600/800. It is comparable to the LX20+ on medium. Don't forget our eyes work logarithmically. It takes about 10x luminous flux to be perceived as "twice as bright".

As an aside, your buddies should turn their lights down a notch if yours can't easily be perceived.
You would be surprised at how few canister lights actually have variable output, it's becoming the norm but even 5yrs ago it was not.

Did you notice a big difference in light output between the DGX 800 and your LX20+?
I have to be honest. It's hard for me to tell as I dont use them side-by-side very often. If I can remember this Sunday I will take some video on a cave dive.

On paper the DGX 800 should be less bright and I believe it has a slightly more narrow beam. They're both listed as 8 degrees but I think the LX20+ has slightly more spill over from the center beam

I have to be honest. It's hard for me to tell as I dont use them side-by-side very often. If I can remember this Sunday I will take some video on a cave dive.

On paper the DGX 800 should be less bright and I believe it has a slightly more narrow beam. They're both listed as 8 degrees but I think the LX20+ has slightly more spill over from the center beam

Thanks, I would really appreciate it!

I agree, on paper, it would seem like a big improvement. I just want to know if I am paying $550 I will really feel the benefit. Otherwise, like @tbone1004 said, it might be worth just staying with my current setup and saving up for a cannister light for when my dives get a lot longer in duration.

I will say that for the price, a DGX 800 is a pretty impressive light!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom