Sofirn SD01 + Orcatorch WS02 DIY primary light...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It uses 4x 18650 rechargeable batteries that come with it. You can run it with fewer batteries as well, it just won't run as long. The light is pretty heavy compared to something like a Dive Rite LX20+ for example. Very bright and beefy.
I have a Sofirn SD05 as one of my backups. Can be had for <$40... can't beat it. I prefer it over the DGX lights for example. It uses a single rechargeable 21700.

I'm not sure if I'd recommend the SD01, to be honest, unless you use it with the handle as it comes. It's kind of a large/bulky light and the design could be improved... a lot. The SD05 on the other hand I'd recommend as a 2nd or 3rd backup.
Thanks for the quick response. 4x 18650s would indeed make it quite heavy. I’m close to pulling the trigger on a Dive Rite CX2 as a primary light for rec diving. The CX2’s “1700” lumens (even if it’s more like 1400) is likely much more than I’ll need, but I like the idea of trading intensity for battery life. I have a 2x 18650 Nightcore light (non-diving) that I love for its long battery life at 25% or about 400 lumens which works great most of the time for walking the dogs at night (it’s primary purpose). Having the higher intensity comes in handy on occasion. Thinking that strategy may serve me well under water as well.

Will check out the smaller Sofirn as a backup. Thanks.

Thanks for the quick response. 4x 18650s would indeed make it quite heavy. I’m close to pulling the trigger on a Dive Rite CX2 as a primary light for rec diving. The CX2’s “1700” lumens (even if it’s more like 1400) is likely much more than I’ll need, but I like the idea of trading intensity for battery life. I have a 2x 18650 Nightcore light (non-diving) that I love for its long battery life at 25% or about 400 lumens which works great most of the time for walking the dogs at night (it’s primary purpose). Having the higher intensity comes in handy on occasion. Thinking that strategy may serve me well under water as well.

Will check out the smaller Sofirn as a backup. Thanks.

CX2 is a very long light, make sure you take that into account before buying it. I don't like it mounted on the Dive Rite Soft Handle w/QRM. It just sticks too far back, even further than the LX20+. Here's what the LX20 looks like on my hand for reference:

1669226364050.png

1669226397354.png

However, if mounted with a DGX Soft Handmount. it doesn't quite stick so far back, but sticks more forward. Here's my buddy's CX2 with that handmount on my hand for reference

1669226470256.png

1669226577787.png

Lastly, here's a difference in beam patterns and colors between the two... you can see his CX2 at around 13:45 where you can sort of compare. Note that his beam angle is a little tighter, the light is more whiteish (but the colors are not accurate in the video, as my GoPro has no filters and I didn't do color correction). My light was not on it's highest setting - it would blow out the visibility compared to everyone else.

Hope this helps you. Good luck :)

CX2 is a very long light, make sure you take that into account before buying it. I don't like it mounted on the Dive Rite Soft Handle w/QRM. It just sticks too far back, even further than the LX20+. Here's what the LX20 looks like on my hand for reference:

View attachment 754904
View attachment 754905

However, if mounted with a DGX Soft Handmount. it doesn't quite stick so far back, but sticks more forward. Here's my buddy's CX2 with that handmount on my hand for reference

View attachment 754906
View attachment 754907

Lastly, here's a difference in beam patterns and colors between the two... you can see his CX2 at around 13:45 where you can sort of compare. Note that his beam angle is a little tighter, the light is more whiteish (but the colors are not accurate in the video, as my GoPro has no filters and I didn't do color correction). My light was not on it's highest setting - it would blow out the visibility compared to everyone else.

Hope this helps you. Good luck :)
Thanks. I plan on having it clipped to my BC with a lanyard and hand carrying, so the length shouldn’t be an issue.

Damn. That's a bummer.

Quick update, OrcaTorch had the distributor send me another wrist strap and I was told that in the future :banghead: they will use SS rivets. I received the strap today and am expecting it to fall apart again in a couple of months. Based on my little experiment, I wouldn't recommend going this route.

Did email Sofirn, on the other hand, and offered some advice for improvement; we'll see how that pans out.

It uses 4x 18650 rechargeable batteries that come with it. You can run it with fewer batteries as well, it just won't run as long. The light is pretty heavy compared to something like a Dive Rite LX20+ for example. Very bright and beefy.

I have a Sofirn SD05 as one of my backups. Can be had for <$40... can't beat it. I prefer it over the DGX lights for example. It uses a single rechargeable 21700.

I'm not sure if I'd recommend the SD01, to be honest, unless you use it with the handle as it comes. It's kind of a large/bulky light and the design could be improved... a lot. The SD05 on the other hand I'd recommend as a 2nd or 3rd backup.
I ordered an SD05 on BF—got it for $40 on Amazon. Very impressive for the money. Thanks for the tip!

Had the new configuration on a couple dives, and I like it a lot better than my first handle attempt. It's still heavy, but the Nitescuba handle feels secure without having to hang on. Very easy to adjust the handle height underwater. Adjusting the width requires an allen key. I really wish this light had a threaded hole closer to its center of gravity, but it's hard to complain that much with the price. It's plenty bright, especially at the high settings, and it's very noticeably a warm tone on camera.
GX010525_1671551641264.jpg

GX010525_1671551613446.jpg

I ordered an SD05 on BF—got it for $40 on Amazon. Very impressive for the money. Thanks for the tip!

You're welcome, glad it worked out. Make sure you don't use the hardware that comes with it (it'll rust and/or fail). Install a SS ring. I got this one for $0.75: Dive Rite Ring Round Stainless Split .5in and this bolt snap: DGX S/S Swivel-Eye {3.0 in | 7.6 cm} Small Sliding Bolt Snap

Here's what that looks like:

1671576878534.png

Had the new configuration on a couple dives, and I like it a lot better than my first handle attempt. It's still heavy, but the Nitescuba handle feels secure without having to hang on. Very easy to adjust the handle height underwater. Adjusting the width requires an allen key. I really wish this light had a threaded hole closer to its center of gravity, but it's hard to complain that much with the price. It's plenty bright, especially at the high settings, and it's very noticeably a warm tone on camera.

Agreed, very bright and very warm. I ended up going in yet another direction...

I was so impressed with my friends' Dive Rite lights (and didn't want to deal with the OrcaTorch stuff), that I gave myself a New Years present:

1671576271852.png

1671576309720.png

It's lighter, better balanced. Love the soft goodman handle - best one I've tried and I've tried many. Going diving in a couple of days, will report back how I like the beam pattern, color, brightness, etc.

Going to keep the SD01 as an extra for when I go into caves; never enough lights in caves! Or if a buddy needs a light for whatever reason. Things always happen, extras are useful.

Thanks for the link on the split rings.
The nylon chafed and failed, fortunately the light was in my hand when it happened.
Switching to ss rings now.

Thanks for the link on the split rings.
The nylon chafed and failed, fortunately the light was in my hand when it happened.
Switching to ss rings now.

You're welcome!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick update about the Dive Rite LX20+ light. It's awesome. It's definitely cooler, very bright(!!) and has a tighter beam pattern for signaling. The best part is Dive Rite's QRM goodman handle. It's just so solid.

Just got this awesome pic from a friend, while hanging on deco; that's the LX20+ on my left hand.

1671913360220.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom