Favorite Handheld Light Under ~$600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tighter is better in open water since it will appear brighter. Total lumens may be higher but the tighter beam angles will have a higher lux rating which is the intensity of the light *think laser pointer vs. a light bulb where the laser has a very intense beam but very low lumen output where the light has a very high lumen output but it is not concentrated*.

LX20+ is a beast in open water and while I love my UWLD LD40's, if you want something cheap and highly effective without the cable the LX20+ is great. There is a reason I own two of them.
Love your knowledge and responses. I'll order the LX20+, thank you!

I agree Nanight's marketing can be confusing if not straight up bad. Before doing the research and deciding to get one I'd heard of them but assumed it was some chinese brand. Far from it, I'm impressed with the design and quality.

I don't have a meter but I could set up a camera to do comparisons and run time tests if enough people care. To my subjective eyeball the output is on par with buddies 3500 lumen UWLD or LM canister lights. Although obviously the burn time is much less than the big can lights. Quite short at full brightness if you're used to a can light. I rarely dive it on the highest setting though. The Nanight is (subjectively) extremely bright, the high setting is too bright for a lot of diving and I actually wish the lowest setting would go lower.

The switch and charging mechanisms are a little odd, but fine, and fairly sensible designs. To change the optics you take it apart.

It's not perfect, no light in this "handheld primary" class is perfect. But I concluded it was worth a shot as a decent compromise between price, build quality, battery+led mfg quality, brightness, and run time.

Im shopping for a new light, I like my Light monkey LED12 but I dont need the canister and the power pack is just longer than it needs to be for my use case, and it gets in the way of where I like my computer. So im selling that one and on the hunt for a new primary. Im considering the Dive Rite LX20+. How is the dive rite soft glove when diving a twinset and doing S-Drills? I know i can get a hard goodman handle for it but i am intrigued by the soft glove. Typical dive is Puget Sound, Drysuit & Drygloves, drygloves use the ultima system so I dont think the light will be in the way with length.

How is the dive rite soft glove when diving a twinset and doing S-Drills
Presumably you mean if the soft glove is on the right hand? Not an issue. You should rotate your palm toward the other diver anyway in order to point the mouthpiece at them. The light then points toward the ceiling and doesn't blind them.

Presumably you mean if the soft glove is on the right hand? Not an issue. You should rotate your palm toward the other diver anyway in order to point the mouthpiece at them. The light then points toward the ceiling and doesn't blind them.
Yeah if it is on my right hand, I typically prefer my light there. I was also thinking if it caused any mobility issues with grabbing the valve or had any silly things like the giant grip the solas have underneath that fills your entire palm making gripping a valve needlessly more difficult. Being Dive Rite I would be surprised if it did, but thats my only hesitation. That could be made a non issue with a standard goodman but it is intriguing with a cordless light to have it more securely attached.

No issues with valve manipulation for me. (I always twist 'em at the surface, the bottom or Reaper sign, and after any tight sections.) Alternatively, if it is a problem, perhaps a sticky valve is the real issue. 😉

Awesome, really appreciate your insight! I can twist my valves just fine, just want to make sure that is the case with the new light as well :) sounds like this is the one to go with.

ANO 2300 lumens. Cost me $230. No problems turning it on below 7 Ata.

Attachments

• 1672379955776.png
    1672379955776.png
    238.7 KB · Views: 53

Back
Top Bottom