Fatality at Peacock Springs today (07-07-2010)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeandiver

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
Just saw on Cave Diver Forum that someone drowned today at Peacock. No information yet on who it was. Larry Green did the body recovery (he was teaching a class over at Peacock, so say the threads on CDF).

My prayers go out to the family , buddy(ies) ...

(cry)
Jean :depressed::depressed::depressed:

P.S. It's been 5 years since a fatality occured at Peacock.

thanks for posting it here, jean.

thanks for posting it here, jean.

Marci:
No problem...I may post the link to the thread in CDF.

Gads , what a sad , sad day.
(you know what I am talking about)

HUGS
Jean

P.S. Not all of us are cavers , but were all divers...

thanks, rob. i'm link-challenged.

For those of us who do not have a membership, please just post the details: thanks.

Diver Fatality at Peacock
68 year old woman in a 2 man team. Buddy was similiar age. They were both Intro Divers who for the last 4 years would dive once a week at Peacock or Little River.

Both were wearing doubles.

Planned dive was main Line to Crossover to Peanut Line.

No jump reels were installed.

Female Diver around 800' on Peanut Line experienced an event which caused her to doubt that her current direction was the way out and suddenly started swimming back towards crossover tunnel.

Male Buddy who was in the lead caught up with Female diver and tried to convince her that she was going the wrong way. He used lines arrows and pointed to the direction of the exit.

Female Diver ignored this information and bolted back into the system heading back towards Crossover Tunnel.

Male Diver could not keep up with her and at some point decided to backtrack to the Mainline thinking that she was going to swim back the way she came.

Male Diver waited for her at Pot Hole. Reaching a critically low air pressure swan to the basin and caught Larry Green in the water. (he was teaching a class)

They surfaced he explained the problem and Larry Green immediately went in to look for her. She was found around 800' on the Peanut Line.

Mask on
No water in mask
Reg out of mouth
Tanks empty
Starting tank pressure 3275 hp 80's

This information is paraphased please do not pick apart or decipher anymore than I have posted. This is second hand information. I was at Dive Outpost teaching a Cavern Class when Larry stopped by.

Tony Flaris

OP started the same thread in two different forums - Cave Diving and this one. :eek:hbrother:

More info in the other one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom