Lake Iseo Rebreather Fatality - Italy, 2015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Another from last year. Anyone want to improve on the translation, or have follow up information...?

Original: La moglie del sub: «Voglio la verità, voglio sapere com’è morto»

Google translation: Google Translate
"I demand to know how my husband died, I demand an autopsy and an examination of the equipment. Which may have had a panic attack I will never believe. " With these words the wife of Lorenzo Canini - the diver died on Saturday in the waters of Lake Iseo, in Tavernola, entangled in an illegal fishing net - calls for truth and justice on what happened.

When you have seen them at 9.10 to download the whistling equipment were just two friends who would spend a beautiful winter day at their favorite activity, scuba diving. But only two hours later that same passion has caused the death of one of them, while the other has put at risk their lives trying to save his friend. Lorenzo Canini, 39 years old, married, one child, originally from Clusone and lives in Ponteranica, died Saturday in the waters of Lake Iseo after being caught in fishing nets almost certainly illegal. Canini rose to Tavernola Bozzato with Fabio, 54, of Bergamo, who has been diving instructor and his wife, and which has already been witness to a tragedy in the past. July 25, 2010, two sub Istrian that were dipping with him and another Bergamo in front of the Miramare Castle in Trieste have died while out testing respirators "rebreather". The same type of equipment he was feeling for some weeks also Lorenzo Canini, who also used yesterday (while his friend was using a normal oxygen cylinder). The two began to dive into Lake Iseo tract in front of the police station at around 10. The tragedy occurred half an hour later, while they were at 33 meters deep and 95 offshore. Canines found himself entangled with a fin on a network and tried to break free with the car mate, but managed only to twist even more the network around the legs. Bozzato then decided to ask for help, rose to the surface and has notified the first passer-by found in the square. It was the city councilor Sergio Gates, who phoned the deputy mayor Ioris Pezzotti (who advised the sub Iseo and Montisola) and then the police. Meanwhile Bozzato is back under water and has again tried to help his friend to break free from the net. Since he could not decided to rise to the surface, releasing the weight belt and activating the mechanism that has inflated air his dry suit, but leaving before getting his bottle with the mouthpiece to his companion. Bozzato climbed back up to the surface at full speed and in apnea. A very dangerous maneuver, which exposed him to the risk of embolism. Just then came the sub Montisola who saw him floating unconscious. "We feared that he was dead - tells Pezzotti - luckily we noticed a slight movement."

Divers brought him to shore immediately linking it to an oxygen tank. Soon after came also a 118 ambulance, on which Bozzato has long been subjected to oxygen therapy until it has been declared out of danger. The sub meanwhile dived to try to rescue Lorenzo Canini, but found that for him there was nothing more to do. perhaps surging in the grip of a panic the man was wrapped his arms and legs in the network attack, it failed to use the knife to free himself and perhaps also lost the respirator. According to the initial findings for his death it would occur by drowning, while among the "rebreather" and the cylinder's man would have remained under water for five hours. Meanwhile onsite they arrived by helicopter from Malpensa two sub Como, and then the divers of Treviglio and a dozen teams of firefighters from Bergamo fire, to which the recovery operations (which has angered have been entrusted to sub Montisola, which were already to recover the body, and this eventually did not sign the minutes). The recovery was complicated by the fact that on the seabed every movement raised a cloud of silt that blocked the view, endangering the divers. It was necessary to use a Rouv, remote-controlled equipment with lighting, and has had to await the arrival of divers from Milan and Ravenna. The body of Lorenzo Canini was brought back to shore only at 17.10, and was therefore made to the funeral of Tavernola cemetery. Now you will have to determine whether the network that caused the death of the sub is abusive and who put it. Shortly before recovery of Canines corpse came his wife Paola, who with cold anger he chanted: "I demand to know how my husband died, I demand an autopsy and an examination of the equipment. Which may have had a panic attack I will never believe. "

Going to trial...

Sub morì impigliato nelle reti dei pescatori: tre rinviati a giudizio

Google translation...
Sub died of drowning because he was caught in the fishing nets of Lake Iseo. The facts date back to January 3, 2015 when at the dawn Lorenzo Canini, 39, had left his home in Ponteranica and reached an instructor friend, who had been his master, to spend a winter day devoted to his favorite passion: scuba diving .

Two o'clock later, at 10 am that January morning, in the waters of Lake Iseo, Tavernola Bergamasca , Canini - married and father of a small child - found death. An absurd and horrible end: she drowned because she was imprisoned in an abusive fishing net.

For this tragic episode, on Friday, October 20, judge for preliminary hearings of the court in Bergamo, Federica Gaudino , returned to trial with the accusation of co-operation in guilty to murder the instructor who was with Canini, 57 years old in Bergamo . The two fishermen, VS, 57, and LS, 28, father and son of Monte Isola, were also accused by the two fishermen,who would place the nets, in addition to a non-standard mesh, in a zone forbidden safety of the bathers, right in front of the carabinieri barracks.Although father and son deny that they were the owners of fishing nets.

The trial will begin on March 1, 2018. There is an antecedent. The public prosecutor, Letizia Ruggeri, had demanded the prospect of the three defendants, as he did not feel guilty in the death of Canini. But Gaudino's gup decided that the matter should be thoroughly investigated.
And on two occasions, in the course of the investigation, the prosecutor had asked for the file to be filed, against Davide Mancusi and Michele Cesari , who assisted wife, son and father of Canini. In the end, it was theGup Tino Gym , then retired, arranging the compulsory assignment for the two fishermen and the family friend instructor.

From the reconstruction carried out by the investigators, the tragedy had taken place around 10, 33 meters deep and 95 from the shore. The 39-year-old suddenly had been imprisoned with a fin in a net and had tried to get rid of the instructor's help, but had only twisted the net around his legs.

FB then climbed to the surface to seek help and warned municipal councilor Sergio Cancelli , who was on Tavernola's square. Given the alarm, the instructor companion was then immersed again to try and release his friend. Failing to do so, he was again on the surface in apnea (risking an embolism), just when the reliefs were coming. The latter, however, could not but see the death of Canine by drowning.

I really don't understand. The google translation leaves a lot to be desired.

I really don't understand. The google translation leaves a lot to be desired.

The way I read the article:
It seems like Lorenzo was on a rebreather while his buddy (Bozzato) was diving open circuit. The dive was to 33m and roughly half an hour into the dive Lorenzo became tangled in a fishing net. He was unable to cut himself free (tried but ended up twisting and getting more entangled). Bozzato, who was also unable to help directly, surfaced and called for help. Once he gave the information to a bystander, he returned to depth to help the Lorenzo. Now, the next section seems to contradict itself a bit:

Since he could not decided to rise to the surface, releasing the weight belt and activating the mechanism that has inflated air his dry suit, but leaving before getting his bottle with the mouthpiece to his companion. Bozzato climbed back up to the surface at full speed and in apnea. A very dangerous maneuver, which exposed him to the risk of embolism.
I know the article says he left before "getting his bottle with the mouthpiece" to Lorenzo but the way everything else is written makes it seem like Bozzato gave his tank to Lorenzo and made a free ascent without his tank. Bozzato was found moments later unconscious at the surface (DCS, AGE, Embolism)? Either way Bozzato received medical treatment and survived, while Lorenzo never surfaced and was found with his arms/legs entangled in the net.

Last edited:
The translation is poor and the details limited. It does sound as if the decedent was on a rebreather and the survivor on open circuit. It also sounds as if the survivor left his tank(s) behind and made a CESA. This would leave me to suspect there may have been some sort of issue with the rebreather (flooding, torn loop, bottle emptied, etc) neccesitating the to survivor to leave his breathing supply behind.

My take away is to always have access to cutting devices and remain calm in the event of entanglement.

It also sounds like Bozzato tried to leave his tank for Lorenzo to breathe, but when he removed it, his drysuit caused him to rush to the surface before he could get the reg in Lorenzo's mouth.

Lorenzo's loop could have flooded while entangled and trying to get free. Even if he had a bailout, it would have been difficult to switch if his hands were also entangled.

It also sounds like Bozzato tried to leave his tank for Lorenzo to breathe, but when he removed it, his drysuit caused him to rush to the surface before he could get the reg in Lorenzo's mouth.

This, and the EN fatality, have seriously caused me to rethink my weight distribution.

A drysuit, a BCD with integrated weights, doffing the gear UW, these are all dominoes lining up.

Lorenzo (with a CC) got entangled in a fishing net with a fin.. Fabio (his instructor on OC) tried to help him without success, managing to get entangled even more (with a leg), so Fabio went up to look for help, alerted some people and went down again.
At this point the situation isn't clear, because Fabio left his tank to Lorenzo.. for an unknown reason (Lorenzo still had 4 hours of operative time in his rebreather), and he ascent too fast (he didn't inflated the dry suit) from 33m and risked to die.
The rescuers found Lorenzo drowned and even more entangled in the net (with legs and arms), probably his rebreather got flooded and he didn't managed to use the tank left by Fabio.

It's not clear to me why Fabio decided to left his tank at that depth, risking to die, when Lorenzo still had 4 hours of "air"... probably Lorenzo had issues with his rebreather (flooded) already at that point.

This, and the EN fatality, have seriously caused me to rethink my weight distribution.

A drysuit, a BCD with integrated weights, doffing the gear UW, these are all dominoes lining up.
This and previous reports / opinions I may have read (and forgotten) and your remark here are getting me thinking too, again... It would make sense to be neutral near the surface w/o rig and have weight on the person ditchable in increments if too much... and then have the rig itself neutral (with tank/s near empty)... and maybe even each tank... (stages / pony...) if there ever was a reason to leave the rig behind and get out with a tank...
... Edit: maybe by writing this I'll think some more, forget less and actually do something...

So is that sort of thought procesd and a body shape like mine (a weight belt needs to be VERY tight to stay where I want it to stay) the reason these costly weight harnesses are sold?

Back
Top Bottom