Near drowning incident - November 12, 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have seen numerous students taking OW classes where the class comes to the surface. Then the instructor takes his reg out to talk to the students and the students do the same. To discuss the dive. This is while they are still in the water. Seems to me that a lot of instructors out there are helping the student to get in the bad habit of taking the reg out of their mouth when at the surface. Maybe not their intention but that is the training and the role modeling they are doing. Even if I am in stand up shallow water the reg stays in until I am on dry land or up on the boat.

When I'm floating on the surface with my BC inflated, I'll take the reg out of my mouth if conditions permit (waves, mainly), but I put it back in before climbing up the boat ladder or walking up the beach slope, especially if it's rocky or slippery. I don't want to fall with my head possibly under water and me maybe landing on my reg where I can't reach it. My mask generally stays on until I'm on dry land or the boat deck, because I wear contacts while diving, and I don't want a wave splash or slip and fall to risk washing them out.

When I'm floating on the surface with my BC inflated, I'll take the reg out of my mouth if conditions permit (waves, mainly), but I put it back in before climbing up the boat ladder or walking up the beach slope, especially if it's rocky or slippery. I don't want to fall with my head possibly under water and me maybe landing on my reg where I can't reach it. My mask generally stays on until I'm on dry land or the boat deck, because I wear contacts while diving, and I don't want a wave splash or slip and fall to risk washing them out.

That's why I put a snorkel in my mouth when I take the reg out. Breathing off the reg is not an option as I do rather long surface swims, and I would not have any air to dive if I was breathing the tank to and/or from the dive site. Mask stays on 'till I'm out of the water because it has my snorkel. Variations can happen on a case by case basis.

I started using a bungeed backup in case of a fall in the water as it can be accessed without hands, if you practice. My primary is clipped off when I'm not using it and there is enough length to use it clipped, but not real user friendly.

Bob

:thumb: I agree totally :clapping:

Also agree. When boat diving the reg or rebreather loop comes out once I'm standing on the deck and holding on to something. The mask stays on until I'm sitting down taking off gear - it's easier than trying to mess with it while walking to sit down with all the gear on.

Also agree. When boat diving the reg or rebreather loop comes out once I'm standing on the deck and holding on to something. The mask stays on until I'm sitting down taking off gear - it's easier than trying to mess with it while walking to sit down with all the gear on.

If you're floating on the surface waiting for the boat, do you leave your reg/mouthpiece in?

If you're floating on the surface waiting for the boat, do you leave your reg/mouthpiece in?
I'm not @sunnyboy , but for me it depends on the conditions. In benign conditions and if I'm spending a bit of time at the surface before exiting the water I might remove my reg. But If take it out, I make sure to have it easily accessible. Typically I'll be holding it in my right hand close to my face. Even if I take out my snorkel to use that while I'm on the surface.

When diving rebreather the loop goes in before I splash (pre-breathe) and stays in until I'm back standing on the boat holding on to something. On a rough day the loop stays in until I'm sitting down. I just find it easier to leave the loop in and not fiddle with it in the water (unless I have to bail out of course). But then I find breathing on the rebreather so comfortable that it's no bother at all to leave it in. Besides, at the surface I'm on 100% O2 as I flushed the loop with O2 at 20ft and monitor my PO2 and keep it at 100% until the loop comes out.

Open circuit? Yea, I'll pop the reg out to talk to the boat crew or other divers on a calm day. My backup is bungeed under my chin so easily available.

As others say, it depends. I generally don't have a problem with it out, but e.g. when I duck my head in to put on (or take off) the fins, doing that while breathholding isn't worth it. The important part is mask stays on, if only because otherwise it's too much stuff to hold on to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom