Manatee Springs SP cave fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Either works, at least on Garmin MK2i. I use a chest strap under my dry suit when diving at home and when diving a wet suit in tropical waters I pull back the arm a bit so the wrist is visible to the optical sensor.

The chest strap can't send information under water so you have to download the heart rate to the watch after the dive. With the optical sensor you can add the heart rate to one of the screens and get live feedback.
My chest strap never worked with garmin mk1...

What are people's thoughts about taking video equipment on a new and likely challenging dive? Watching divers who are into video, it does seem to add a degree of task loading, which is fine if you are doing a familiar dive, but maybe not a good idea when going into somewhere completely unfamiliar.

What are people's thoughts about taking video equipment on a new and likely challenging dive? Watching divers who are into video, it does seem to add a degree of task loading, which is fine if you are doing a familiar dive, but maybe not a good idea when going into somewhere completely unfamiliar.

Great article - thank you! I once made the mistake of taking a fairly bulky camera on a new (to me) dive, which turned into a long slog against an unanticipated current. Luckily, I quickly realised that diving safely in the conditions required my full concentration, and I abandoned any plans to take pictures. With the camera housing and strobe to act as a sea anchor, I had a constant reminder of what an idiot I'd been!

I’ve thought of this issue in the past. Interestingly enough, diving isn’t the only sport where cameras can be a nuisance. In skydiving, the USPA (United States Parachute Association - the organization which certifies skydivers) has a rule that cameras shouldn’t be jumped until you have a C license, which takes 200 jumps at a minimum.

I’ve noticed myself that I can easily get distracted with a camera. The above article was good food for thought. I would be interested to know actual data on cameras roles in incidents.

Natalie Gibb is also excellent Cenote dive guide, if you are lucky enough to get her during her slow business time. She guided me in Cenote diving in Playa del Carmen area back in 2011 and 6 years later in 2017, after she opened her shop, https://www.underthejungle.com/en/home/

EC5B39B8-FEC6-466B-908E-2FDDAB221E19.jpeg

Natalie Gibb (center) in 2011

C136C65B-2F17-4F48-957D-80B9AB8DA07C.jpeg

Natalie Gibb in 2017

The Chairman interview of Natalie Gibb

I’ve noticed myself that I can easily get distracted with a camera. The above article was good food for thought. I would be interested to know actual data on cameras roles in incidents.

The last double fatality in Grand Cenote/ Paso de Lagarto was directly attributable to a camera/gopro. And got that cave entrance permanently closed to divers. @Norwegian Cave Diver has an extensive and excellent analysis of that accident which is posted here in A&I (somewhere)

My chest strap never worked with garmin mk1...
I have a Garmin Descent MK2. Results with using chest straps under a drysuit have been mixed. The older HRM-Swim and HRM-Tri straps never worked well. They would appear to download at the end of a dive but most data points were blank. The newer HRM-Pro works much better: some data points are missed but usually most of the data is there.

I have a Garmin Descent MK2. Results with using chest straps under a drysuit have been mixed. The older HRM-Swim and HRM-Tri straps never worked well. They would appear to download at the end of a dive but most data points were blank. The newer HRM-Pro works much better: some data points are missed but usually most of the data is there.
that's a good news! I'll buy a new hrm pro, let's see if I manage to get something useful

Many thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom