Manatee Springs SP cave fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I can't find anything in the news. From the International Underwater Cave Rescue and Recovery Facebook page: IUCRR
The IUCRR was called to an incident at Manatee Springs State Park on May 14, 2022. There was a single fatality cave diver that was recovered by the team. There is no immediate danger to other cave divers as this was an isolated event.
There is an ongoing investigation and more information will be available when LEO has finished with their reports. Our prayers go out to the family and friends during this time.

I heard it was a father/son team? Unconfirmed.

Sad day indeed.

Typically we loose about 6 divers in caves annually. It’s a very high risk activity.
I would contend that it’s only high risk when not trained or not following the other 4 cardinal rules of cave diving.

I feel like, for a diver such as myself, the most dangerous part of a cave dove is the commute to the dove site.

Typically we loose about 6 divers in caves annually. It’s a very high risk activity.
After 1995, probably true. Underwater Cave Rescue and Recovery says almost 30 in 1974, but they are very picky about their site being quoted so I won't show the graph, which ends in 1999.
Anyone ever hear an update on this?
Not that I can find. I suspect that discussions are kept from the public to reduce the threat of caves being closed to divers.

Back
Top Bottom