Fancy Ads Slowing the Site Down?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ber, I was going to give you grief about having dialup but then saw that nothing else really is an option for you. :wink:

Ok I logged out of SB hours ago on my other computer, but still no ads are showing?

Is it IP associated, or do only members see ads...?

Ber, I was going to give you grief about having dialup but then saw that nothing else really is an option for you. :wink:

You know you live in the middle of nowhere when you call the cable company and they tell you to get satellite TV because they won't be in your area anytime soon. That was 7 years ago and they weren't lying :shakehead: I don't see DSL coming anytime soon either, I was told by Verizon that you have to live within 3 miles of a hub to get it. I'm pretty sure there just isn't a dense enough housing area within 3 miles of anywhere near me to justify the cost to the phone company.
SIGH...
Ber :lilbunny:

I find it funny how much faster it was here before the new servers and all the ads were added.

The facts are - the number of users who were online before the new servers (last June) was less than 1/2 of what it is now. On average, there are hundreds more people online at any given moment.

We are in the process of adding a second web server to the equation, to handle the traffic to the site. This should speed up page loads for the 97% of our users who are using faster than dial-up connections... even the 40% of our users who are using Cable, or even the 2% of our users who are using an OC3 Connection

---

MikeFerrara:
I have a dial up and the site is getting pretty rough to use.

I'm not going to lie to you, that the ads aren't going to slow down dial-up users.

Some of the ads are (like I said) 300-400kb. If you have a 36kbps connection, those ads will take 10-15 seconds to draw each one. Add in avatars, smileys, images, etc, and you can have some pages take more than a minute to draw, in perfect conditions; given your maximum speed.

Granted the current average is 3.3% (as of this morning) - this was more than 700 visitors yesterday who used dial-up.

I'm pretty sure there just isn't a dense enough housing area within 3 miles of anywhere near me to justify the cost to the phone company.
SIGH...
Have you thought about moving to the USA??? We don't have those infrastructure problems here! :D :D :D

Given the amount of graphics, the speed never surprised me and I wouldn't have bothered to start a thread to ask about it. It was my computer rebooting itself when I tried to access certain scubaboard pages that got me to do that. LOL but that problem seems to have stopped all by itself as mysteriously as it started.

You know you live in the middle of nowhere when you call the cable company and they tell you to get satellite TV because they won't be in your area anytime soon. That was 7 years ago and they weren't lying :shakehead: I don't see DSL coming anytime soon either, I was told by Verizon that you have to live within 3 miles of a hub to get it. I'm pretty sure there just isn't a dense enough housing area within 3 miles of anywhere near me to justify the cost to the phone company.
SIGH...

Do you have cell phone service?

Verizon Broadband Access

I think my thread on ads has been totally hijacked...! :shakehead:
Ok I logged out of SB hours ago on my other computer, but still no ads are showing?

Is it IP associated, or do only members see ads...?
I'm still logged out on my other computer, and I still don't see any ads on it. :confused:

it must be cookies. non members see MORE ads :wink:

it must be cookies. non members see MORE ads :wink:
I guess my irritation with the ads at the start of this thread was when I became non-Red and none of us noticed, or perhaps following a Ad-Aware cookie cleaning subsequent to that or something.

So the answer to the problem in post one was really: "Supporting members should not see those ads."

Back
Top Bottom