Fancy Ads Slowing the Site Down?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a dial up and the site is getting pretty rough to use.
An alternative could be to use the PDA Style: ScubaBoard - Online Scuba Diving Community - Equipment, Dive Travel, Training and More!

Edit_Options_-_Cut_Off_Date.jpg

You can also try to remove all images (Show Signatures, Show Avatars, Show Images) using the checkboxes in Edit Options.

Limiting the number of posts displayed per page can also help.

Probably applies to the whole internet. :)

Not really. It's only a problem with sites that are real heavy on the graphics and animation but I don't go to very many sites like that.

Thanks El...LOL now that I went to look at your link and my display is stuck in PDA mode...how do I get it out?

I find it funny how much faster it was here before the new servers and all the ads were added.

Hmmm, do Mike and I make up the 3.25% of the dial up users? I've tried the PDA format and don't like it. There is no cable service available in my area so that's not an option and DSL has not been brought to my area either (I've been on the notification list for over a year). I just can't make myself pay for satellite internet access with the reliability issues we have with THAT just with the DirecTV.
Sigh...
Ber :lilbunny:

I have a dial up and the site is getting pretty rough to use.

This old dog finally joined the 21st century and went to a high speed connection a few months ago. Now it is much better across the board but also clear that Scubaboard is slower (sometimes much slower) than all the other site I routinely visit.

I find myself thinking twice before opening a thread or posting.

This old dog finally joined the 21st century and went to a high speed connection a few months ago. Now it is much better across the board but also clear that Scubaboard is slower (sometimes much slower) than all the other site I routinely visit.

I find myself thinking twice before opening a thread or posting.

I'm an old dog and remember the days when we could do as much work with an 8086 as we can with computers that are many times faster because we were doing work rather than manipulating a bunch of very large pictures.

But...that's not why I still have a dial up. To have my dial up, I have to pay for a phone line that I don't use for anything but the internet...$53/month (if I don't make any phone calls). I can get DSL if I want to pay closer to $70/month...I can get it a little cheaper if I sign a contract...that'll be the day.

I think I can get wireless here so I'm going to wait a little while longer until I get a new computer and then I can ditch the phone line all together.

Inernet speed is just one little issue and without it, I could always go do some work. LOL, the bigger issue is finding a way to get internet without paying $40/month for a phone that I never use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom