FAKE NEWS!!--PADI to be sold once again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, let me ask this question...because this thread has me thinking. Is Padi going to start buying up online cloud based log book sites? If Padi is allegedly going to use Padi certification registrations as new travel solicitation opportunities, could they already be buying up cloud based online log book sites? Back in July I joined logbook.diviac.com and found it free access super cool. I cruised around the site and thought it was really innovative....so I joined, payed the $15 annual fee. Last month I started noticing that almost all of its advertising and pathways some how lead me to Padi Travel. The support became less responsive and it was as if someone turned off the lights and left the room! The site seems to just be dead right now. What do you guys think?
Wikipedia:
In March 2015 Diviac Logbook releases two mobile apps for iOS and Android to access the logbook from phones and tablets.[4]

In April 2015 the first version of the Diviac Travel website was launched.[5] In the same month Diviac also acquired Scubadviser.com, a website collecting dive centres and liveaboards reviews.[6]

In December 2015 Trekksoft and Diviac announced a partnership to offer a one-stop solution to dive centers for managing their bookings and increase their online distribution.[7]

In November 2016, Diviac Eco Travel was introduced. This division of Diviac partners with major NGOs and research centers to offer eco-friendly holidays to divers and travelers. During these vacations, guests participate alongside marine experts in field studies and research activities. As of December 2016, trips are offered in partnership with the Bimini Biological Field Station Foundation, Manta Trust and the Marine Wildlife Watch of the Philippines.[8]

In January 2018, Diviac announced the acquisition of the company by PADI.[9]

You don't remember the ScubaPro branded Faber tanks. The concept can be expanded to other gear, including the dreaded tank banger.

From GUE agency itself,

add the premium price for an instructor and compare.

Bob
I’m not comparing agencies here. I was just saying what so many others have said in regards to the put another dollar in. Did I say anythinge aggressive towards padi? @I believe not.

It’s a business. GUE is non profit. Please don’t turn this into an agency bragging thread. That wasn’t my intention. I was simply stating that PADI is a business, what do you expect that it’s been sold again? People need to calm down sometimes. I didn’t mean to insult any agency but this is a well known fact even among dive instructors, you could say the same for any of the agencies really. Just stating the facts. Don’t get triggered please.

That is the funniest thing I have read on ScubaBoard in a long time.
Just because it’s funny to you doesn’t mean you shouldn’t answer the question. Did I? If I did please explain.

Stop defending PADI at every opportunity. No one is pointing to fingers, so don’t worry..

Putting aside some of the usual and customary cynical commentary about PADI's business image, it occurs to me that what we are seeing in some of the comments about travel is not unlike the debates about online retailers vs brick and mortar shops. Some shops whine that their business is being damaged by online vendors, yet many shops have continued to thrive, because those shops adapted their business models to the changing reality, and customers who value personal service continue to patronize them. Yes, there has been a decline in the total number of dive shops in operation in the US over the past several decades, but I have some trouble attributing that to online sales as much as to inefficient business practices and management.

Some divers are going to opt for the cheapest available option - for gear, for travel, for training, whatever. That's their choice, more power to them. If PADI is somehow, with its travel program, pulling those customers away from a shop because it is offering less costly options, or better service at the same cost (I am not sure that either is the case, just using this as a 'what if example'), chances are some other entity would eventually do that as well. I still don't have a reasonable answer to my earlier question - exactly what action has PADI taken to 'cut the throats of its affiliated dive shops'? I understand the heresay - what some shops are supposedly saying. I am just not understanding why a PADI travel initiative is going to harm a successful shop. As boulderjohn said
boulderjohn:
If PADI travel is creating competition for dive travel, then that competition will exist regardless of your shop's affiliation. As someone from that shop said, their customer base for travel likes the personal touch they provide, and he does not think they will lose many of those customers.
So, what is it about the travel program, per se, that does irrevocable harm? Is the concern about the travel program similarly uninformed as was the initial reaction to PADI eLearning? Just asking here, because I really don't 'get' the concern.
boulderjohn:
I recently got an explanation of their thinking on this issue. When they send in the certification information for a new diver, they are sending in the contact information for that individual. That individual is a potential travel customer for them, but that individual will be getting direct travel solicitations from PADI now that they are in the travel business.
But, IF on the certification 'paperwork' - paper or electronic - the instructor checks the box that says the certified diver does NOT wish to receive solicitations from PADI, that shouldn't happen (the diver getting direct travel solicitations from PADI), should it?

If a shop has an active travel program, and suffers considerable loss in business because of the PADI travel initiative, perhaps that shop should be looking at their travel business model, not whining about PADI, or changing agency affiliations out of spite.

Now, as a PADI member, and as an Instructor who works for two shops with active travel programs, I am having some difficulty seeing how PADI's move into travel business somehow irreparably harms shops. Both shops with which I am affiliated - which are PADI-only shops - continue to sell out their trips, yet continue to have a good relationship with PADI, and maintain their price structure for travel, etc. Both shops continue to sell gear, irrespective of the availability of online gear sales.

I don't have a dog in this fight, even as a PADI Instructor. What a shop in Colorado does or does not do will not directly impact me. But, I am always anxious to learn, and maybe there is something in the PADI travel initiative that should concern me. I just can't figure out what that is, and ask the questions not to criticize or defend PADI, rather to understand what is actually taking place.

Perhaps product differentiation needs to be stepped up? While at first glance it might seem that a trip booked through the LDS and one through PADI Travel are equivalent, that's not true. People booking through a LDS may anticipate a group leader/organizer/'mother hen' will be on-site throughout the provide guidance and trouble-shoot, and that there'll be more camaraderie with the group vs. random other customers at the destination.

PADI Travel is basically a booking agency for independent travel plans.

But there's still an impact potential related to the PADI name recognition and trust value with new divers.

My 1st 4 'dive tourist' trips were to Bonaire, with my wife & a buddy along, joining a group trip organized by my old instructor. The benefits of joining such a group as mentioned already were big, considering I'd never been outside the U.S. except via cruise ship, and hadn't cruised much.

But once I got my 'feet wet' with Caribbean travel that few times, I started organizing my own trips.

How many dive travelers go through a similar succession to what I did, as opposed to staying with group trips long-term? Those people might 'go independent' earlier if they train PADI at a PADI shop and then get solicitations from PADI Travel (as opposed to names they don't know, like Diviac, Caradonna, Maduro or Liveaboard.com).

Even if this is all true, it remains to be seen whether the magnitude of impact will be enough to threaten the LDS' bottom line.

Richard.

While at first glance it might seem that a trip booked through the LDS and one through PADI Travel are equivalent, that's not true. People booking through a LDS may anticipate a group leader/organizer/'mother hen' will be on-site throughout the provide guidance and trouble-shoot, and that there'll be more camaraderie with the group vs. random other customers at the destination.

PADI Travel is basically a booking agency for independent travel plans.
Very good point.

It is a pity when good organization becomes money greedy monster and tries to squeeze customers without giving them additional value.
Put Another Dollar In is not a new name for PADI. I think they've been kind of a greedy since they broke away from NAUI expressly to make more money.

OTOH, a lot of divers are diving today because of PADI instruction. Greedy or not, they've been a positive influence in many people's lives.

from a previous post

in 1948, 70 years ago, Aqua Lung was established by Rene Bussoz in the corner of his LA based haberdashery with 10 Aqua Lungs
He called the company Rene Sports until 1952 when it was changed to US Divers

I think you confuse Aqua Lung America (formerly US-Divers) with Aqua lung international.

Aqua Lung International owns Aqua Lung America/US-Divers.

Aqua Lung international was founded 1946 by Air Liquide under the name "La Spirotechnique" to manufacture diving regulators and other diving related equipment.

Aqua Lung/La Spirotechnique - Wikipedia
Aqua Lung America - Wikipedia

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom