FAKE NEWS!!--PADI to be sold once again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, let me ask this question...because this thread has me thinking. Is Padi going to start buying up online cloud based log book sites? If Padi is allegedly going to use Padi certification registrations as new travel solicitation opportunities, could they already be buying up cloud based online log book sites? Back in July I joined logbook.diviac.com and found it free access super cool. I cruised around the site and thought it was really innovative....so I joined, payed the $15 annual fee. Last month I started noticing that almost all of its advertising and pathways some how lead me to Padi Travel. The support became less responsive and it was as if someone turned off the lights and left the room! The site seems to just be dead right now. What do you guys think?
I think Diviac is now PADI Travel. If you don't like PADI, you won't like Diviac.

Back in July I joined logbook.diviac.com and found it free access super cool. I cruised around the site and thought it was really innovative....so I joined, payed the $15 annual fee.

If you're using Diviac's online logbook, here's a tip. I don't know whether it's still how things work. My last Caribbean live-aboard, the Turks & Caicos Aggressor II, I booked through Diviac, figuring it'd cost me no more money than booking directly with Aggressor Fleet, and they included some basic Dive Assure coverage (which I didn't need; I pay for annual DAN insurance coverage), and I thought it'd help with the logbook (which I don't do much with, but I have some dives in it; these days I use MacDive on my computers and iPhone).

Long story short, after I booked with them, I e-mailed Diviac about having a booking with them and being a Diviac logbook user, and here's a copy & paste from my 12-9-17 e-mail from Diviac:

"Dear Richard,

We upgraded your logbook to premium membership, good news it’s for life!
If you should have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Happy diving

Kind regards,

Caroline"

Check with them and see if this is still their policy. If it is, and you want to book a trip they'll handle at no added charge to you, and you want to continue using the Diviac logbook, this might save you $15 a year.

Richard.

I was surprised that here in Rhodes, Greece where I am right now, all the dive ops have crossed over to SSI. 7 years ago, all PADI

here in Rhodes, Greece where I am right now

Can I officially say "I hate you" :D I LOVE that place. It's been 31 years since I've been there, but it still lingers in my memory as one of my favorite places, ever.

Cheers -

Can I officially say "I hate you" :D I LOVE that place. It's been 31 years since I've been there, but it still lingers in my memory as one of my favorite places, ever.

Cheers -
Oh, it has changed. I was in Rhodes 7 years ago and there is a big difference. My fiancee and I are enjoying the smaller islands. I thought mid September would be far enough from the peak season, but Lindos is packed. I plan on opening up a dive center somewhere, probably somewhere closer to how you remember Rhodes.

If they instead certify their potential travel customers through a different agency, then PADI will not have that contact information and will not be sending dive travel solicitations.

Considering good marketing research could find the information, I don't think that just sending information is the issue. Before, during, and after training the PADI brand is built up by the shop so that divers will not change shops for training and travel. I can see the problem when PADI directly markets travel and training and cuts out the shops revenue stream using the good will developed by the shop. It wouldn't take much to start selling PADI branded dive gear online next.

Bob

.... It wouldn't take much to start selling PADI branded dive gear online next.

Ohh yaaaa,,,,PADI underwater tank bangers !!

It’s a diving business. Not a diving agency.

P
ut Another Dollar In.
Wow! Very clever! I don't think I have seen that on ScubaBoard more than 1,000 times before.

Why don't you help us out here and name all the dive agencies that do not charge for instruction and instructional materials? Please identify all the ones where the instructors work for free. That will help clear things up.

Ohh yaaaa,,,,PADI underwater tank bangers !!

You don't remember the ScubaPro branded Faber tanks. The concept can be expanded to other gear, including the dreaded tank banger.

It’s a diving business. Not a diving agency.

From GUE agency itself,
How much does a GUE class cost?
The cost of a GUE class can vary, as GUE HQ does not set guidelines as to what instructors are required to charge. The only fee that we require to be paid directly to HQ is the registration fee, which gives you access to your class materials and allows you to apply for a class. This fee covers the cost of those materials, processing, and certification. This fee varies from $45 for non-certification classes (GUE Primer, Doubles, or Drysuit Diver) to $95 for foundational training (including GUE Fundamentals and the Recreational Diver track) to $125 for advanced training (including the Cave Diver and Technical Diver tracks).

add the premium price for an instructor and compare.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom