Is Aqua Lung buying PADI? Asking price of US$1.2B

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darcy Kieran

Business of Diving Institute
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Will we see a match Aqua Lung / PADI vs. Mares / SSI?

Is Aqua Lung buying PADI? With an asking price of US$1.2B

From a source generally well-informed: The American families who've just recently purchased PADI for US$700M are putting PADI up for sale, again, this time with an asking price of US$1.2B.

Also hearing that talks are on-going with Montagu, the London-based private equity firm that recently purchased Aqua Lung from Air Liquide for approximately 200M Euros.

Does it matter? Do we care?

Where is the dive industry heading?

No one ever could have predicted this. Actually, I said it would be Johnson Outdoors, but I believe Montagu would be a fine buyer.

Says Montagu was founded in 1968 -- the year I was born. I turn 50 in 3 days. In 50 years, they've managed to attain €4 billion in fund assets, while I've managed to attain $1 from the diving industry.

while I've managed to attain $1 from the diving industry.
But they are about to lose 1.2B in the Scuba Industry. See how far ahead you are?

I've been wondering about consolidation in the diving industry for many years now and what the impact will be on divers

There's Huish, they own Atomic Aquatics, Bare, Hollis, Oceanic, Stahlsac and Zeagle and distribute Suunto in the US. Of course AUP is gone now.

Johnson Outdoors only has Scubapro as a diving asset but has holdings in camping, fishing, and watercraft.

Montagu's Aqua Lung asset owns Apeks and Pelagic Pressure Systems. PPS not only supplies the Aqua Lung computers, but is the OEM for Genesis, Oceanic, Sherwood, and Tusa. They also supply the transmitters to Shearwater. And now, there's the discussion of the purchase of PADI

Mares, SSI was discussed in the OP's article.

There are numerous other examples of common OEMs, etc, that others know much better than I do.

So....what about us divers? I wish I knew.

I just wonder when they will make me an offer I can't refuse.

ScubaBoard.com: The Official Social Media Site of PADI. The I2I forum would change drastically.

Back
Top Bottom