Failsafe Diving With Poseidon’s New Oxygen Solid State Sensor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499

Attachments

• M28-sensor-banner-927x638.jpg
    M28-sensor-banner-927x638.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 125
  • M28-Solid State-folderA4.pdf
    322.9 KB · Views: 139
While the sensor is indeed revolutionary, there is no way to guarantee "fail safe" diving, especially with a ccr.

Whenever I hear about the latest, bestest thing to hit diving, I remember my awesome new T-zip that I could smash with a hammer and it would be fine.

I should have smashed it with a hammer, 'cause keeping it clean and lubricated apparently caused it to utterly fail after about 30 dives. ;-)

I don't dive a RB, but I am pretty sure I wouldn't want to be the first guy on the block to start using these things.

They didn't make them for your SF2, they made them for the se7en. But, where one company can make them, others will soon copy them. This is a far better technology than galvanic cells. Reliability will be a factor.

They didn't make them for your SF2,
Yeah, I just pointed that out. :D There were a number of skeptics at Tek Dive USA. I liked what I saw, but I want to hear about them more in action and let others beta test them.

The "problem" is that it's not really backwards compatible unless they start putting a DAC in the cell itself. In which case it will then need to be powered, which means that unless a rebreather is using a DiveCAN type of system, you're going to need to modify it beyond a simple firmware flash (think Shearwater, Meg15, etc.), so every manual CCR is going to need some sort of actual electronics, and every eCCR is going to have to have the electronics swapped to either digital, or whatever electronics will power a DAC'd solid state cell. I doubt ISC is going to retroactively start re-manufacturing Meg head electronics for compatibility.

Of course this is all assuming they're reliable and functional in the first place, which is really only going to become apparent once they've been out for a while. If not the first generation of cells, I'm sure eventually it will be reliable enough.

Would I love to put these in my Meg or Pelagian? Absolutely. However, at this relatively "untested" stage, I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon and start plugging electronics into my Pelagian, or getting non-standard electronics mods done to my Meg.

I think these are definitely a potential game changer, but at this point, accurate cell checking and a solid rotation schedule is a good way to virtually eliminate sensor issues. I'm a firm believer in the 6-month weakest swap method. Statistically it's about as safe as you're gonna get. I also dislike voting logic, but that's another story.

Plus it will be interesting to see if the digital output of the sensors is somehow encoded, at least to make it difficult to others to use their sensors. A divecan revo would have a digital port and'd be ready to go but then only if Shearwater is willing to add the sensor to their divecan system.

However until then it anyway remains to be proven for these sensors to work reliable... and no matter what as said before there won't be such a thing as failsafe...

So.... Would you use it int he 4th cell position, out of the voting logic as indication only? I'm dying to know if Shearwater has one, and if they are writing firmware to monitor it....

Back
Top Bottom