Poseidon Releases Solid State Sensors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah the controller is three cells on a five pin DiveCan connection. Since it is a digital connection there must already be an analog to digital conversion. The petrel is connected to two cells with a four pin AK.

Okay, now I understand what you were getting at.

About 4-5 years ago I had a DiveCan bus failure on my rEvo. Basically, the RMS system wouldn't work, the solenoid wouldn't fire, and I kept getting low voltage alerts. However, the PO2 was still displayed so I continued my trip and just manually added O2.

I had been diving in Chuuk and I had tried a couple different spare 9V cells I had but they were both pretty old and the display kept indicating a low voltage even though they were "new" batteries (i.e., from an unopened package). Since I was in Chuuk, I went to the corner store by the Blue Lagoon but they didn't have 9V batteries. Anyway...

When I returned home, I did some testing and couldn't figure out the problem. I ended up sending the DiveCan box back to Shearwater (Richard Morton @ Divetronix) who did a bunch of testing but couldn't replicate the problem. He simply sent me a new DiveCan box and I haven't had any issues since.

I still don't know what was going on in Chuuk -- but my point is that the DiveCan controller continued to correctly display the PO2 (and IIRC, I had completely removed the 9V battery).

- brett

Okay, now I understand what you were getting at.

About 4-5 years ago I had a DiveCan bus failure on my rEvo. Basically, the RMS system wouldn't work, the solenoid wouldn't fire, and I kept getting low voltage alerts. However, the PO2 was still displayed so I continued my trip and just manually added O2.

I had been diving in Chuuk and I had tried a couple different spare 9V cells I had but they were both pretty old and the display kept indicating a low voltage even though they were "new" batteries (i.e., from an unopened package). Since I was in Chuuk, I went to the corner store by the Blue Lagoon but they didn't have 9V batteries. Anyway...

When I returned home, I did some testing and couldn't figure out the problem. I ended up sending the DiveCan box back to Shearwater (Richard Morton @ Divetronix) who did a bunch of testing but couldn't replicate the problem. He simply sent me a new DiveCan box and I haven't had any issues since.

I still don't know what was going on in Chuuk -- but my point is that the DiveCan controller continued to correctly display the PO2 (and IIRC, I had completely removed the 9V battery).

- brett
That's interesting. I am about to replace the 9V in my rEvo. I'll have to try running it without the 9V in place and see what happens. I wonder if anything different will happen since I am non-RMS?

That's interesting. I am about to replace the 9V in my rEvo. I'll have to try running it without the 9V in place and see what happens. I wonder if anything different will happen since I am non-RMS?

Yeah, I just replaced mine but wasn't thinking about this when I did it. Please post your results.

- brett

Yeah, I just replaced mine but wasn't thinking about this when I did it. Please post your results.

- brett
I’ll have to replace mine soon. I’ll let you know what I find. I’m thinking that the analog to digital converter probably needs less juice than the solenoid does but I’m honestly not an expert. I know the rms and solenoid work on digital signals. I can’t imagine there are separate channel so to speak for an analog signal to pass through.

- brett
Still get O2 readings.

Everything dead cold and off. Pulled the 9V. Powered up the controller. Initially got 0mV (I can't remember if that is normal or not). Few seconds later I was getting readings. That's good. Just as I was satisfied that everything was working I got a "low external battery" warning.

Now to put the fresh battery in and put everything back together.

Petrel 2 on non-RMS rEvo for those who forgot what this was in response to.

Poseidon announced at DEMA that they are releasing their exclusivity on the Solid State Oxygen Sensors (SSOS) which allows any other CCR manufacturers to put SSOSs into their units. Hopefully this will quickly make them options on most CCRs.
Has any other CCR manufacturer's approved the use of SSOS in their units?

Has any other CCR manufacturer's approved the use of SSOS in their units?
lol you’ll have a hard time getting a CCR manufacturer to “approve” any modifications. In terms of common units, it’s almost exclusively Poseidon. A birdie told me Borodianaky’s unit can be ordered with them but haven’t heard of others.

Completely agree with that. And I kind of thought as much. Was at RF4 and if that was something that was going to be more universally implemented, it would have been well discussed.

Sadly so far other than some rumors, everybody seems to be waiting for the other guy to try it first, at least it look this way. Sad really, especially given with DiveCAN out there very little modification would have been required sans controller firmware. And so we wait...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom