Ratio Dive Computers Announces New iX3M 2!! Our Best Dive Computer yet!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope. Here is their reply when I asked them about it last year:

"Yes we are aware of SurfGF, that data is actually shown in the iX3M2 logbook in SubSurface. At the moment that data is not shown in the iX3M2 during the dive. We are still deciding if that data can be useful during the dive or if it can push the divers too close to the limits. So I do not know if that function will be implemented or not. In case that function will be released with a software update."

Nope. Here is their reply when I asked them about it last year:

"...We are still deciding if that data can be useful during the dive or if it can push the divers too close to the limits."
Is that what they think of all divers?

Or just the ones dumb enough discerning enough to buy their products?

Is that what they think of all divers?

Or just the ones dumb enough discerning enough to buy their products?
Exactly! One of the main reason people like Shearwater is that they treat their customers as adults. "We'll give you the info, you decide what to do about it."

Is Ratio aware that divers can ride the NDL even without SurfGF? Or do they hide the minutes and just give you a thumb symbol when it gets down to 4 or 5?

At the risk of In the traditional derailing, I would argue that SurfGF can actually be more conservative if used right. In particular while NDL will drop rise precipitously if you rise 10ft, SurfGF does not change that much. So you have some idea that you are pretty heavily loaded, even if the change from 1 min to 10 min of NDL seems like a miracle. At least that was my experience with long dives on Buhlmann 16C (Shearwater).

You could conceivably set a waypoint at your entrance, pop up at the end of the dive, wait for a fix, get a heading back to your entry point and then submerge and swim that heading back.
You make a great point! I'm going to consider this a little bit more. If I'm going to pop up anyway, I might as well get an accurate fix on the entry/exit point.

I would argue that SurfGF can actually be more conservative if used right.
Exactly that is the point of all these technology perks (DCs vs tables to begin with, NLDs, gradient factors, and now SurfGF & GF99). They are tools that IF used right they can improve safety, or at least help the diver make more informed decisions. At the same time, if not used right and/or in the hands of ignorant divers they can create problems. Does that mean divers shouldn't use them at all? Of course not!

The way I am dealing with this is by speaking to Ratio first (make my request clear) and then talk about it publicly (here) hoping that if enough divers do the same, Ratio devs might change their mind and finally decide to implement this.

Keep trying guys...

At the risk of In the traditional derailing, I would argue that SurfGF can actually be more conservative if used right. In particular while NDL will drop rise precipitously if you rise 10ft, SurfGF does not change that much. So you have some idea that you are pretty heavily loaded, even if the change from 1 min to 10 min of NDL seems like a miracle. At least that was my experience with long dives on Buhlmann 16C (Shearwater).
Agreed. It's an indicator of current tissue loading, and the stance Ratio seems to have at the moment is perplexing. Could diver's use it to ride the NDL? Sure, I guess that's possible, but every diver I know of who uses SurfGF uses it primarily as a safety buffer. Diver's certainly don't need SurfGF to ride the NDL.
You make a great point! I'm going to consider this a little bit more. If I'm going to pop up anyway, I might as well get an accurate fix on the entry/exit point.
I'm trying to envision how GPS would help in this context. I understand the idea, but the implementation might be a bit clunky. If I pop up to the surface and have some swimming to do, to get to my preferred exit point, I can use a visual reference, set a heading on my compass, and go that route. That would likely be faster than waiting for the GPS fix. If there is no visual reference, then, I'm wondering why that would be the exit point. There should be something there to see that would enable getting out of the water (boat, dock, shore, etc.)

Has Ratio fixed the lack of seconds shown on the safety stop timer on the ix3m 2?

I've been diving this computer since I bought it in November (about 50 dives on it since) and this is becoming a deal breaker for me as the countdown timer is very fickle and the 3 minute time set can literally be 5+ minutes even with depth static between 4.9-6.1 meters.

Also pretty pissed off I was told by Ratio that a GPS version of it would only be available to law enforcement and military and now they've launched a gps enabled one in December.

Starting to think I should have bought a Shearwater after all. Very disappointed and very unlikely to recommend this computer.

Back
Top Bottom