Failed CESA in OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, First post, so dont jump on me...(Have looked on other posts & cant find...)

I did my first two OW dives at the weekend... was really struggling with maintaining Neutral buoyancy (Drysuit worn) and had extra weight added, both in BCD & Harness...
I wasn't tested for buoyancy at the surface...so once air was released from BCD i went down like a stone, deep breath not enough to keep me at eye level at surface...
So, struggling for the day, we went into day 2 & dive 3...
We started the CESA & i was a bit confused by the instructions at 5 or 6m platform, as they seemed to contradict what was said at the surface... Instructor seemed to offer me the buoy rope, so i took it.. FAILED...
try again...
got to surface fine, but could not inflate BCD orally, as weight kept dragging me under...FAILED
try again...
Same.. kicking like mad.... still sinking, reg back in...FAILED
try again...
Not sure what happened here.. Instructor pulled my reg out which completely threw me, grabbed reg & purged to get back in.. FAILED
try again...
same.. weight stopping me from being able to take a breath at surface...
at this point instructor took of hood & I realised that it was all over...wasnt allowed to do dive 4.
I'm absolutely devastated! Quite frankly, at the moment I never want to put a BCD on again....
Wide open question...by my description.. was I missing something, was i doing something wrong...? It wasn't really explained, just told that I wasn't getting it.... whatever happened to the "we'll do it all in your own time" mantra.. "no rush" etc....

Gutted !!
your instructor failed YOU. I'd have a chat with him/her and the shop they work for.

Weighting in a drysuit is a very individual thing. The late TS&M (Lynne), who disappeared on a dive in 2015, was a very petite woman by all accounts and photos. I remember a post where she recounted how some guy from the internet had been poking at her for diving with 30lbs, even with steel doubles. She apparently hated being cold and had thick undies. She noted the guy stopped harassing her about using so much weight after he dived with her once.

So while you (general you) might think 12kg in a drysuit is too much or too little for you, it’s going to be different for everyone. I did OW and drysuit at the same time as the OP is doing. I also had to redo my CESA once at the quarry.

Very petite woman diving steel doubles with 30 lbs of weight and 'disappeared on a dive' in one post, does not have a good ring to it.

Very petite woman diving steel doubles with 30 lbs of weight and 'disappeared on a dive' in on post, does not have a good ring to it.
Lynne also probably shouldn't have been doing any challenging dives due to her vertigo while diving.

On a trip a few years ago we saw first hand what vertigo does to a diver. We were diving the Florida Middle Grounds and a guy diving with us revealed his vertigo issues. My buddy thought for sure he was going to drown.

Nevertheless. Balanced rig.

OK, First post, so dont jump on me...(Have looked on other posts & cant find...)

I did my first two OW dives at the weekend... was really struggling with maintaining Neutral buoyancy (Drysuit worn) and had extra weight added, both in BCD & Harness...
I wasn't tested for buoyancy at the surface...so once air was released from BCD i went down like a stone, deep breath not enough to keep me at eye level at surface...
We started the CESA & i was a bit confused by the instructions at 5 or 6m platform, as they seemed to contradict what was said at the surface... Instructor seemed to offer me the buoy rope, so i took it.. FAILED...
try again...
got to surface fine, but could not inflate BCD orally, as weight kept dragging me under...FAILED
try again...
try again...
Not sure what happened here.. Instructor pulled my reg out which completely threw me, grabbed reg & purged to get back in.. FAILED
try again...
at this point instructor took of hood & I realised that it was all over...wasnt allowed to do dive 4.
I'm absolutely devastated! Quite frankly, at the moment I never want to put a BCD on again....
Wide open question...by my description.. was I missing something, was i doing something wrong...? It wasn't really explained, just told that I wasn't getting it.... whatever happened to the "we'll do it all in your own time" mantra.. "no rush" etc....

Gutted !!
I would have a talk with the instructor first. With that said it sounds like they are 100% failing you as a instructor and I would be worried what they also might be doing/missing in other areas of the class. With that said if you know something is not right in your case to much weight then speak up because it is life and death on the line. https://www.kpax.com/news/crime-and...ed the events,Lake MacDonald in November 2020.

Weighting in a drysuit is a very individual thing. The late TS&M (Lynne), who disappeared on a dive in 2015, was a very petite woman by all accounts and photos. I remember a post where she recounted how some guy from the internet had been poking at her for diving with 30lbs, even with steel doubles. She apparently hated being cold and had thick undies. She noted the guy stopped harassing her about using so much weight after he dived with her once.

So while you (general you) might think 12kg in a drysuit is too much or too little for you, it’s going to be different for everyone. I did OW and drysuit at the same time as the OP is doing. I also had to redo my CESA once at the quarry.

Very petite woman diving steel doubles with 30 lbs of weight and 'disappeared on a dive' in one post, does not have a good ring to it.
I would prefer not to have Lynne's reputation besmirched.

Lynne was a very careful diver who very much played by all the rules. You will never meet any diver who more carefully did predive checklists (etc.). She was as thoroughly educated about diving as possible, taking multiple classes from well known instructors. She was indeed petite, and she was very fit.

I dived with her in tropical waters and in the coolness of Puget Sound. I dived with her in open water and in caves. Yes, she did indeed need more weight than you would expect for someone of her size. Yes, she did indeed need that weight. I know others like her, people who are highly experienced and knowledgeable and who need more weight than you would expect.

Her death was a tragedy that had nothing to do with any of this. She and her husband Peter were diving a challenging site and got caught some kind of a current vortex that tossed both around. When it was done, Peter saw her, and she was OK. He looked away for a moment, and when he looked back, she was gone. She was never found. It is impossible to say what happened.

try again...
try again...
try again...
try again...

Gutted !!
Look up an app called Dive Buddy for your phone, it will give you a calculated +/- weight you should dive with. It has almost every option you need to make a decision.
Sounds like dive instructor really didn't care about anything except the money he was making!

Look up an app called Dive Buddy for your phone, it will give you a calculated +/- weight you should dive with. It has almost every option you need to make a decision.
Sounds like dive instructor really didn't care about anything except the money he was making!
You need a weight check, not some app! This is something that needs real-world applications.

SeaRat

PADI's standard is to drop weights if one is below 30 feet for a buoyant emergency ascent. Under 30 feet, you do not drop your weights.

SDI discusses removing one weight pouch and holding it in your hand with the option to drop weights if needed.

I'm not aware of an agency that advocates dropping weights every time one does an emergency ascent.
Where did you find this PADI standard depth? While the eLearning discusses buoyant emergency ascents, it doesn't state a depth threshold currently and I haven't been able to find one (not in the eLearning, instructor manual, or guide to teaching anyway). The eLearning also states that you'd be doing a CESA, but dropping your weights and exceeding the safe rate of ascent as a result (and mentions flaring out as you near the surface to slow some). That seems to imply dropping the weights while at your maximum depth, not waiting until you're at a given depth to do so.

I personally believe that unless you're over-weighted due to being in a tech configuration that necessitates a negative buoyancy, you should always be able to do a CESA during a recreational dive and shouldn't have to perform a buoyant ascent.

It's normal to struggle. Drysuit diving comes with its challenges at first. Adding a little bit of weight is also common - IF you are underweighted.
Doesn't sound normal.
try again...
try again...
try again...
try again...
You must carry too much weight.
I'm absolutely devastated! Quite frankly, at the moment I never want to put a BCD on again...
Reduce weights. Dive in the shallows. You need four feet of water to dive. Once that works, and the weights are ok, then you can easily venture deeper. Did you do a buoyant or swimming ascent?
Wide open question...by my description.. was I missing something
Certainly not. You had too much of something. And on an OWD course it is not your fault.
, was i doing something wrong...? It wasn't really explained, just told that I wasn't getting it.... whatever happened to the "we'll do it all in your own time" mantra.. "no rush" etc....

Gutted !!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom