Failed CESA in OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mosizely

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
OK, First post, so dont jump on me...(Have looked on other posts & cant find...)

I did my first two OW dives at the weekend... was really struggling with maintaining Neutral buoyancy (Drysuit worn) and had extra weight added, both in BCD & Harness...
I wasn't tested for buoyancy at the surface...so once air was released from BCD i went down like a stone, deep breath not enough to keep me at eye level at surface...
So, struggling for the day, we went into day 2 & dive 3...
We started the CESA & i was a bit confused by the instructions at 5 or 6m platform, as they seemed to contradict what was said at the surface... Instructor seemed to offer me the buoy rope, so i took it.. FAILED...
try again...
got to surface fine, but could not inflate BCD orally, as weight kept dragging me under...FAILED
try again...
Same.. kicking like mad.... still sinking, reg back in...FAILED
try again...
Not sure what happened here.. Instructor pulled my reg out which completely threw me, grabbed reg & purged to get back in.. FAILED
try again...
same.. weight stopping me from being able to take a breath at surface...
at this point instructor took of hood & I realised that it was all over...wasnt allowed to do dive 4.
I'm absolutely devastated! Quite frankly, at the moment I never want to put a BCD on again....
Wide open question...by my description.. was I missing something, was i doing something wrong...? It wasn't really explained, just told that I wasn't getting it.... whatever happened to the "we'll do it all in your own time" mantra.. "no rush" etc....

Gutted !!

I wasn't tested for buoyancy at the surface...so once air was released from BCD i went down like a stone, deep breath not enough to keep me at eye level at surface...
It appears you were overweighted.

Discuss this with the instructor and try again. Any decent instructor should have the patience to go over this properly so that you can pass the OW.

And welcome to ScubaBoard.

I see you are also in the UK. Were you in fresh water? Its been rubbish viz in the sea lately and might explain why you were overweighted, although they should know better.

If you aren't successful with the CESA you could try a BSAC club. The skills required are similar but they don't teach CESA. I know it would be extra cost but with a non-commercial organisation there isn't the same pressure to get you through, since it's all volunteer run. Not saying BSAC is better, just different.

Hope you get sorted out. It's definitely worth it.

It appears you were overweighted.

Discuss this with the instructor and try again. Any decent instructor should have the patience to go over this properly so that you can pass the OW.

And welcome to ScubaBoard.
@Searcaigh Many thanks for kind-of reassuring me that I was thinking along the right lines...I wasn't going to argue with the Instructors, as theyre the professionals, but after a couple of good breaths into the oral inflator, I still had no buoyancy...options were reg in, or inflate bcd via the button...
Really not sure where to go next with this.. feel completely gutted, but want to continue...

I see you are also in the UK. Were you in fresh water? Its been rubbish viz in the sea lately and might explain why you were overweighted, although they should know better.

If you aren't successful with the CESA you could try a BSAC club. The skills required are similar but they don't teach CESA. I know it would be extra cost but with a non-commercial organisation there isn't the same pressure to get you through, since it's all volunteer run. Not saying BSAC is better, just different.

Hope you get sorted out. It's definitely worth it.
@Vitesse21 Yes, not far from you by the looks of things in the UK...Freshwater Quarry... I'll have a look at BSAC clubs in the area, although most use the same quarry around here. think i need to get my head straight first rather than say "F*%$ it all" which is where i am currently....

@Searcaigh Many thanks for kind-of reassuring me that I was thinking along the right lines...I wasn't going to argue with the Instructors, as theyre the professionals, but after a couple of good breaths into the oral inflator, I still had no buoyancy...options were reg in, or inflate bcd via the button...
Really not sure where to go next with this.. feel completely gutted, but want to continue...
If you go to the doctor to have knee surgery and they mark the wrong knee to be operated on, are you going to question it or just let them do it because they are “professionals?” Professionals make mistakes and it should not be an argument if you question something that is not working. Tell the instructor that you feel you’re overweighted, explain why you feel that way and ask to re-do a buoyancy check. If they refuse then find a new instructor.

Well, I would steer clear from any instruction that doesn't teach one of the most important skills in scuba diving— safely getting to the surface in an emergency.
In an emergency, though, you need to ditch your weights first which, IIRC, isn't done in CESA during OW training. This does cause me to question the validity of still teaching it, or at least requiring it for certification.

Back
Top Bottom