Failed CESA in OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It sounds to me like you asked your instructors the right questions and correctly suggested things that you thought were causing problems. Given that these were your first open water dives, I think you did very well. It sounds to me like you'll be a good diver with practice. You'll also be one who questions things, researches and continues to learn.

Don't give it up, but maybe look for an instructor who is patient and listens to you. There are probably UK divers on this board who can point you in the right direction.
Strangely enough my 'Other Half' is a Padi OW instructor & First Aid Instructor (in case I drown!) but I didnt want her to teach me...or the company that she works for. There's no one I trust more with my safety, so perhaps I'll hire gear & finish the dives with her after all...
Still debating whether it's all worth it as I feel a bit scarred by the fact that it was.. "ok failed.. get out..." (not as harsh as that, but it felt like it....)

Strangely enough my 'Other Half' is a Padi OW instructor & First Aid Instructor (in case I drown!) but I didnt want her to teach me...or the company that she works for. There's no one I trust more with my safety, so perhaps I'll hire gear & finish the dives with her after all...
Still debating whether it's all worth it as I feel a bit scarred by the fact that it was.. "ok failed.. get out..." (not as harsh as that, but it felt like it....)
Sounds like a plan.

When you get in the sea it'll be worth it. I only dive I quarries when training. Always cold! Vobster particularly. Only consolation is the showers are warm.

Just as a matter of interest, do you remember how much weight you used?

Most instructors can make a reasonable estimate, but still no substitute for a properly weight check. I prefer to estimate a couple of kgs less than I think a student needs, then take time doing a proper weight check, adding small trim weights as necessary.
6kg in the harness (Belt slipped straight off on 1st dive.. had to hold it with my knees to save it) 4 kg in BCD sides, 2kg in trim pockets at rear.. total of 12kg.. I THINK..!
We initially did buoyancy check, but when i was struggling to keep NB at the bottom (around 5-6m) they stuffed some more in... no further buoyancy checks...I had very little air in my suit, just enough to take the squeeze off, but struggled with Neutral buoyancy...it seemed to be rush rush, as time in the location was limited.

When you get in the sea it'll be worth it. I only dive I quarries when training. Always cold! Vobster particularly. Only consolation is the showers are warm.
You guessed it..! I
If i have another go, I'm wondering whether to go up to Cromhall, or do some mid week without the 'crowds'...

I'm tired of saying "your instructor sucks" and then having people jump on me saying "you weren't there, how do you know?"
But I'll say it anyway, and ignore (per usual) the retorts: OP, your instructor sucks. Find another.

It's not only the weight issue. An instructor can't just yank the reg out of an OW students mouth to start an emergency ascent 'drill'.

@apedai Even with extra weight you shouldn't just shoot up. Generally it's good to get some extra training. Just saying. Better to be extra careful sometimes

Please keep in mind that doing your OW in a drysuit, with extra weight and in cold water is more difficult than in the tropics, for example.

My wife and I had to do two extra dives to pass. I bolted towards the surface when I couldn't recover my reg and she had trouble removing and reinstalling her weight belt. The instructor said my bolting was fine because I calmed down right away when he gave me a reg and signalled OK, but I wasn't happy with it so opted for a third day of diving.

My wife's hands got so cold that she could barely secure her weight belt....but our instructor, to his credit, refused to let her give up and she finally did it. Both of them were very cold when they finally came out of the water.

We now have over 300 dives and will only stop when we are dead or physically unable to continue.

I know you spoke to the instructor that day but it might not be a bad idea to address your concerns with them again. Talk about being overweighted and having to kick hard too stay afloat at the surface. You may be able to correct any issues with this followup now that they're not in the water. Some instructors aren't worth this time. Others just don't see their failure in the moment but on reflection can accept it. Since they forbid dumping weights at the surface AND overweighted you I'd ask to either have a private lesson with them to finish the cert or to join their next class. Either way you've paid them for the instruction and have not received it.

Edit: if they still seem like a clown after your conversation just ask your partner to certify you and enjoy diving with them.

It's not only the weight issue. An instructor can't just yank the reg out of an OW students mouth to start an emergency ascent 'drill'.

@apedai Even with extra weight you shouldn't just shoot up. Generally it's good to get some extra training. Just saying. Better to be extra careful sometimes
Yes, overweight will narrow the neutral buoyancy range, make the things harder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom