Failed CESA in OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know you spoke to the instructor that day but it might not be a bad idea to address your concerns with them again. Talk about being overweighted and having to kick hard too stay afloat at the surface. You may be able to correct any issues with this followup now that they're not in the water. Some instructors aren't worth this time. Others just don't see their failure in the moment but on reflection can accept it. Since they forbid dumping weights at the surface AND overweighted you I'd ask to either have a private lesson with them to finish the cert or to join their next class. Either way you've paid them for the instruction and have not received it.

Edit: if they still seem like a clown after your conversation just ask your partner to certify you and enjoy diving with them.
Among other things, there was NO reasons for the instructor to not allow the student to do Dive 4, and reattempt the CESA after adjusting weighting. The CESA can even be done at the end of Dive 4; it is a "Dive Flexible" skill, and can be done anytime during Dives 2, 3 or 4. The instructor did not kknow what he/she was doing and improperly terminated the training.

Please keep in mind that doing your OW in a drysuit, with extra weight and in cold water is more difficult than in the tropics, for example.
Yes, it's more difficult but it doesn't really matter in this case. The student still needs to be able to do a swimming ascent without dropping any weights and the instructor can't yank the student's reg. When doing any kind of emergency ascent in class, the student is supposed to keep the reg in their mouth and just simulate an empty tank.

Among other things, there was NO reasons for the instructor to not allow the student to do Dive 4, and reattempt the CESA after adjusting weighting. The CESA can even be done at the end of Dive 4; it is a "Dive Flexible" skill, and can be done anytime during Dives 2, 3 or 4. The instructor did not kknow what he/she was doing and improperly terminated the training.
It felt like i was an inconvienience at that point.. four of the other six were keen to get on with dive 4.. two of us were pulled....

I see you are also in the UK. Were you in fresh water? Its been rubbish viz in the sea lately and might explain why you were overweighted, although they should know better.

If you aren't successful with the CESA you could try a BSAC club. The skills required are similar but they don't teach CESA. I know it would be extra cost but with a non-commercial organisation there isn't the same pressure to get you through, since it's all volunteer run. Not saying BSAC is better, just different.

Hope you get sorted out. It's definitely worth it.
Actually, BSAC is way better!

Well, I would steer clear from any instruction that doesn't teach one of the most important skills in scuba diving— safely getting to the surface in an emergency.
I was teaching CESA when young. From 15 meters.
It was truly dangerous!
I was very happy when it was removed from the syllabus.
In Cmas - Bsac training, also OW divers are trained to do deco stops and that all problems must be solved staying underwater.
A CESA is not a proper solution of a problem...
Of course there are extreme cases where there is no other option than surfacing. But in these cases it is not a Controlled Emergency Surface Ascent.
It is an uncontrolled ascent at max speed, following the idea that it is better to be bent than drowning.
And of course it makes no sense to do such a risky max speed ascent while training.
So I second the suggestion of searching for a Bsac club, you will get a much better training, despite the instructors there are not "professionals".

Great learning lessons there; maybe a bit off topic for this thread, but a good outcome.
  • Diver lived
  • Diver had redundant breathing gas
  • Diver did a controlled ascent using his marker buoy
Probably a good advertisement for using a twinset or sidemount where you can shut down gas flows and still retain at least "half" of your gas.
No need for a twin set. My 30-years old Cressi 15 liters tank with two posts and two independent regs had done the job. Just close the affected valve and breath from the other reg.

I was teaching CESA when young. From 15 meters.
It was truly dangerous!
I was very happy when it was removed from the syllabus.
In Cmas - Bsac training, also OW divers are trained to do deco stops and that all problems must be solved staying underwater.
A CESA is not a proper solution of a problem...
Of course there are extreme cases where there is no other option than surfacing. But in these cases it is not a Controlled Emergency Surface Ascent.
It is an uncontrolled ascent at max speed, following the idea that it is better to be bent than drowning.
And of course it makes no sense to do such a risky max speed ascent while training.
So I second the suggestion of searching for a Bsac club, you will get a much better training, despite the instructors there are not "professionals".
I know GUE doesn't teach CESA for the reasons you site.

Strangely enough my 'Other Half' is a Padi OW instructor & First Aid Instructor (in case I drown!) but I didnt want her to teach me...or the company that she works for. There's no one I trust more with my safety, so perhaps I'll hire gear & finish the dives with her after all...
Still debating whether it's all worth it as I feel a bit scarred by the fact that it was.. "ok failed.. get out..." (not as harsh as that, but it felt like it....)

Some instructors have the personality of pond scum. Sounds like having your significant other finish your class is a good idea - or at least have her recommend someone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom