Exposure suit reccomendations for VA Beach/Moorhead NC area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NC and VB are different animals due to the gulf stream.

During the summer the temps are different...

Inshore diving (15 miles out): vb = ~65, nc = 70+
offshore diving (30 miles out): vb = ~55, nc = 65+

So you can see that a dry suit is recommended for VB offshore. I would also dive dry in NC during the spring.

It depends a lot on your preferences. I used 3 mm shorty in October in Moorhead and it was OK (though some folks next to me used full size 3 and 5 mm with hoods). But the further North you get, the colder it is. It was 59 F at the bottom near Ocean City MD this July.

I resisted the dry suit as long as possible, and now do not know how I ever dove without it. I dive dry period, only change the under garments to fit the climate. I will prolly be the only dry diver in FLA next week. oh well
Eric

I'd say it depends on what you're used to. I dive a 4/3 Xcel frontzip wetsuit in VB from May-October. Low Temps are around 54, high are around 74.
Most people I see on the boats are diving somewhere between 5 and 7mm, and the people I know who dive dry also dive a 3mm in Cozumel in August.

Thanks all for the info, diving dry just isn't in the budget right now, especially considering we'd have to buy two. So, it looks like a couple of good 7mm wetsuits for now and if we find ourselves getting good use out of them, then going dry would probably be a good long-term investment for us as eventually, we'll be settling back up in Washington State.

On that note, any suggestions on what to look for in a good 7mm wetsuit aside from fit?

Same here but getting to dive with the wife far out weigh the cost.

Plus I am more to blame for the cost, 1st I put spring straps on her fins, then her secondary on a necklace, then new drysuits to dive in the Great Lakes, & of course she needed her own set of doubles to make the dives worth doing. Which meant another set of regs.

Oh forgot to mention the cost of getting her trained to do such dives. Ouch., but can't really complain after the $$$ I spent getting Full Trimix.

1 dive on the EM Clark & it is all worth it.

for nc to be three season, i'd get a 5mil and chicken vest with hood. i've done dives offshore nc spring, summer, and fall in a 5mil and regular hood - i'd say i'm medium in feeling cold compared to others in the water.

offshore virginia, i have no idea.

Back
Top Bottom