Drysuit diving in Tropical

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm planning to take my TDI Cave cert in mexico (about 20 dives) around the month of march and bring the wife for more casual tropical diving the next week. We will do about 15-20 dives during the two weeks with my wife.
I think I mis-read this the first time. So if I understand correctly, you are doing the cave course the first week and then diving in the ocean with your wife the next week. If that's the case, then I'd say use the drysuit for your cave course (as I said in my reply above) and bring a cheap 3mm for the ocean diving.

Get a good drysuit that fits you well and dive it with very thin undergarments, like Ice Breakers (lightest weight) in warm waters.

I am a drysuit diver 100% and until you try it, it is really had to say whether it is for you. What I like is warmth between the dives and absolute comfort in water. Don't forget that water conducts temp better than air and you'll get colder faster. Dry suit makes up for that. But the real thing with drysuits is the underlayer - it makes or breaks your comfort. A drysuit w crappy undergarments in cold water is gonna get cold. Likewise, a suit with extremely thick undergarments in warm water is going to suck.

For your wife, if she gets cold easily, I think the 5mm wetsuit is a good idea. I live in Florida; I get cold in the springs (70-72 degrees) in a 5mm, and I get cold in the ocean in a 3mm if temperatures drop below 84 or so. So, yes, I absolutely wear a 5mm on 80-degree ocean dives. If your wife got cold in her OW training and cited being cold as a reason for not wanting to dive, I'd err on the side of keeping her warm. If she's too hot, you can always rent a 3mm while you're there or show her how to let water into her suit to cool off. But I'm betting she'd rather be a little too toasty than too chilly...

I done all of my full cave in Tulum in my dry suit. My opinion, no reason not to. No reason not to use dry suit for the rest of the dives. If it was my trip, I would just take the dry suit.

I have done all my cave diving in Mexico in a 5mm suit--3mm would not be enough for me. I have used guides on many of those dives, and they have all used at least a 7mm suit, sometimes a drysuit. I did a week of cave diving there with friends who all wore drysuits.

In the ocean, I would normally use a 3mm suit. If I were trying to do both a cave and the ocean and wanted to save luggage space, a 5mm would be my choice.

Having said that, I have dived with people in tropical waters who used drysuits with minimal undergarments, and they were happy. There would be nothing wrong with using a drysuit for both.

Yes, you can get quite toasty with a drysuit on the surface when it is warm. I have done many dives in New Mexico in a drysuit with undergarments suitable for the 60° F water temperatures while the outside temperature was over 100° F. It is not an ideal situation, but it is doable.

Two trips to Mexico in September heat for Tech 1 and Cave 1 and dove dry the whole time. No issues other than being a little warm kitting up. Easy to hop into a cenote to get the suit wet and have evaporative cooling help out pre-dive. Would never dive in a wetsuit in a cave, I'd freeze after an hour.

So I was just in Mexico cave diving in a drysuit for a week and was using xerotherm undergarments for the first couple days ( too hot ) I switched to some Patagonia capellini base layers and was much more comfortable. I was down in the end of November and beginning of Dec and topside lugging tanks around it got quite hot and I’m from Florida and use to it. As far as boat diving after I would just get a wetsuit or rent one. The last couple trips I made to cave dive I wore a 5mm wetsuit and was fine. I am happy I wore my drysuit last time as my dives were lasting almost 2hrs. Hope this helps

A lot of people told me yes, why not, some even told me they do it... (My drysuit is a trilaminate "breathable" for the top part). Other kinda laugh and tell me I'll sweat like a pig and I'll look like a weirdo.

I was wondering if there is a good reason not to do it (some said overheating, premature wear, etc), if I should purchase a 5mm wetsuit just for these vacations, etc.

Take it and yes no reason to spend money on a wetsuit when you have a drysuit. I think you will find lots of people in Mexico dive dry. Would not be weird.

I part time live in Indonesia (super tropical weather) and thought the same thing at first but now I almost only dive dry basically have no use for my wetsuits all my friends dive dry too.

So I was just in Mexico cave diving in a drysuit for a week and was using xerotherm undergarments for the first couple days ( too hot ) I switched to some Patagonia capellini base layers and was much more comfortable.

Haha thats funny I have the exact same undergarment setup to the tropics. Depending on water temps sometimes use the xerotherms but another vote for Patagonia Capellini base layers. Perfect for tropical diving!! Also REI/EMS has there own in house brand that is very similar and half the price.

I would also stick with the dry suit you are familiar with instead of changing to a new wetsuit, with side note that an ice pack on your wrist or neck is pretty priceless for not overheating if waiting while fully suited up in the heat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom