Seeking Guidance on First Exposure Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bdyslm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know everyone is different and nobody can truly answer this for me but I'm hoping to leverage the hive mind for some insight to minimize trial and error and expenses.

First a little about me. Certified 12/21 in Bonaire. Left with 41 dives and AOW level including deep and wreck. With the exception of my confined water (3mm full), and my first two OW checkout dives (3mm shorty), I've done all of my diving in rash guard and trunks. There were maybe a couple of times in those 3 weeks that I experienced a slight chill at deeper depth but it passed. Body temp was never really on my mind/noticeable issue. Actually felt chillier during SI on the boat when it was cloudy but removing rash guard typically solved that. 3/22 I dove Bayahibe and a couple of dives in Punta Cana, now at 54 total. Again, no noticeable chill. On all of my dives, the water has typically been about 82F.

I have a kingly body. 6ft 245. Plenty of insulation around the midsection :) I generally run pretty warm.

I have all of my own gear except a wetsuit. I am diving the national aquarium in about a week and the temp of the tank is 74-76F. So I'm sure something will be needed and I will need to rent a wetsuit.

I am looking into ordering a custom wetsuit, mainly because of the color options and better fit but also so I can get leg and arm zippers to assist with donning/doffing. I know it won't be here in time for the aquarium dive.

I suspect the large majority of my diving will be the Caribbean, with some future indo-pac and red sea. At some point, I will be diving Lake Phoenix in VA. I suspect I will rarely be diving in colder water.

What I'm trying to figure out is: For my first suit, given the amount it will get used, should I go 2mm, 3mm, or 5mm, or given my individuality should I just go for something like a full-body rashguard, skin, sharkskin/lavacore etc.

I suspect a 5mm I would hardly use but I don't know and maybe that's the jack of all trades? If I get hot in the 5mm I could yank on the neck to let some water in? I could wear the rashguard under my 2 or 3mm. Would that effectively give me a 5mm equivalent? Yes, it would depend on the rash guard as I know from my trips that they are not all created equally. I was seemingly chillier in one particular rash guard.

From reading some other posts, yes, I would like something quick drying and easy to pack. But more importantly is a good all arounder.

Any other considerations I should be thinking about?

I generally subscribe to buy once cry once theory.

TIA

I would recommend 5 mil, as it is more versatile.

However, I tend to run cold, very cold. Like 5 mil and hood in 75 degree water and get cold in 45 minutes cold (and just suck it up for another 45 minutes in shallow dives like Airport Beach in Maui)

So maybe a 3 mil for you is the equivalent of a 5 mil for me?

Sounds like a 5mm would do it for you. You can always cool off but you can’t warm up if you’re already cold when underwater.

I think you should take your aquarium dive before buying. Once you discover how comfortable you were in the 74-76F aquarium water, that'll give you a baseline to work from.

That being said, based on what you wrote, I'd consider a 3mm wetsuit or a Lavacore/Sharkskin suit. They'd likely keep you sufficiently warm for the dives you're considering, given your warmish nature and the experiences you've described.

And I'd also consider buying a second layer (e.g., a vest or a hooded vest). It can add that little bit of warmth when you need it and is easily packable when you don't.

I think @stretchthepenn gives good advice: do your aquarium dive and see how you feel and then you can decide on the best option for you. Also, although it seems you run on the warmer side, you might find that over time you end up with a couple of different wetsuits and accessories for different conditions. I have a 3mm, a 5mm, and a 3mm vest. I use all of them depending on the water temperature(s) I expect, but my 5mm gets a lot of use because I run cold. Sounds like a 3mm would serve you well to start. Adding a vest would extend the temperature range a bit. If you find yourself diving cold or in colder water, then you can add a 5mm suit to the collection.

I suspect the large majority of my diving will be the Caribbean, with some future indo-pac and red sea. At some point, I will be diving Lake Phoenix in VA. I suspect I will rarely be diving in colder water.

Some of these areas are 2 - 3mm suit type others are 5mm depending on the time of the year (red sea for example). You will probably need all type of suit thickness in your dive career but I'd start with what I'd need in the near future and gauge my needs based on use and then decide if and when to get the next suit.

I think you should take your aquarium dive before buying. Once you discover how comfortable you were in the 74-76F aquarium water, that'll give you a baseline to work from.

That being said, based on what you wrote, I'd consider a 3mm wetsuit or a Lavacore/Sharkskin suit. They'd likely keep you sufficiently warm for the dives you're considering, given your warmish nature and the experiences you've described.

And I'd also consider buying a second layer (e.g., a vest or a hooded vest). It can add that little bit of warmth when you need it and is easily packable when you don't.
That's a great idea! going to the shop tomorrow to get fitted for a rental. I thin k they said the one that should fit me is a 5mm, so I'll get an idea of that as well.

Hi @bdyslm,

Some good advice above already.

I'd add that to be comfortable you'll want your suit to fit well. If you can find a quality stock size suit that fits all of your measurements within an inch or two it might be worth looking at. Otherwise customs always fit, and as you said you can add zippers, choose your colors and more.

Next, given your experience mentioned and future planned uses, my personal opinion is that a 3mm custom would be a good starting point. You can dive it in warm water and if you get too warm, yes you can just flush some cool water in through the neck. When temperatures get down in the mid 70's you'd likely be comfortable for a dive or two, and if you find yourself getting chilled you could easily add a hood or hooded vest. Note with a custom you can also do mixed thicknesses, for example a hooded vest with 3mm in the body and 5mm on the head if desired.

Hope that helps and let me know if I can answer any questions, or feel free to call our shop to discuss.

Kind regards,
Derek & JMJ

Back
Top Bottom