Exposure suit reccomendations for VA Beach/Moorhead NC area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoAnywherePhoto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello, I am looking for feedback on what type of exposure suits people are wearing during which months of the year.

I live in Norfolk, but haven't been able to spend much time there yet and will be back there this spring.

I have gotten my BOW and AOW certs while here in Cuba and my wife will be doing her checkout dives for her BOW back home this Feb. I believe she said she was in a 7mm for her class.

I was wearing a .5mm full suit until the water here dipped below 80F, now I wear a 3mm farmer john shortie under my .5mm suit to avoid chills on multiple dives.

I'm looking to purchase suits for both my wife and myself when I get back and am looking for a starting point.

Thanks for the help,

Looking back at my log for the last couple of years, I was showing mid to high 60s for late April to late May. I was not uncomfortable in a 5mm but now would dive dry. June through October, a 3mm is fine for me. This was for Morehead. I believe VA Beach is quite a bit colder as it's not as close to the Gulf Stream, but I've never dived there.

I dove NC during July 2008 and then August 2010 and it was HOT!!! I wore 3/2mm and was fine underwater. On the surface, I was not so fine even in t shirt and bermuda because it was blazing hot.

Is back home the Norfolk/Va. Beach area? If so Lake Rawlings in February wet is a serious commitment & if your wife is doing it she has my up most respect.
I have done this, with a semi-dry & 2mm shorty under. Managed 2 - 40 min. dives. Wouldn't recommend it.
Now I dive dry.

I dove North Carolina twice last year - a weekend in early May and a weekend in early June. May was low 60s and I wore a 7mm and June was upper 70s so a 3mm was more than enough. Obviously it depends on the time of year you are diving as the temperature fluctuates pretty dramatically. I have never dove VA beach so cannot comment on that. I can say that the diving in North Carolina is awesome and highly recommended.

NC 3mil in summer and 7mil in winter.

VB 7mil year round or a drysuit.

I am always cold, so the thicker the better for me.

RAD - Yes, Norfolk is home. When she took the class, the original plan for the checkout dives was Lake Rawlings in November, but she wasn't able to make that and will be doing her checkout dives on a trip to Florida in February. When I'm away, just about anywhere in the USA is considered 'home'. :wink:

All - thanks for the info so far. Dry is not an option for us right now, but we're hoping to use some tax money to get a couple thicker wetsuits so we can at least be 3-season. I'm leaning to 5mm after reading the responses so far, but am wondering if 7 would be the better investment in the long run. I know one suit won't do it all, but we could probably buy thinner suits like 3mm as it got closer to summer.

Jon,

For Va Beach Diving you won't go wrong with a 7mm with a hood and gloves. A semi-dry suit is better but it's a matter of choice...comfort and expense.

Safe Diving,
Will

I just finished putting new seals on my dry suit and you know the line "once you go dry you never go back for local diving".
Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom