Exploration in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Correct, Aldora uses steel 100s and 120s and has its own fill station.

They may have smaller tanks for kidlets. Verify by contacting them if it is relevant to you.

Yes, we do have tiny Steel 80s for small kids, even large pony tanks.

On the subject of Aldora Adventures, YES we are using an abundance of caution at this time since we have only been going there for 2 months. It is likely to be no more of a problem than Barracuda, but at this time we just don't know. The good news is that these sites have a hard bottom and down currents are not going to be a concern.

We will be amending procedures and requirements as we become more confident in what we will encounter.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

On the subject of Aldora Adventures, YES we are using an abundance of caution at this time since we have only been going there for 2 months. It is likely to be no more of a problem than Barracuda, but at this time we just don't know.

Dave, that would be good. However, my opinion (right or wrong) is that diving Barracuda does require stricter adherence to staying close together and coming up together due to multiple factors. Some of these are higher swells. Less boats if you get separated and less chance (maybe none) of a surface swim to shore in a bad scenario.

As far as other boats, I do not recall seeing another on the few trips I have made up north. I might be forgetting a case, but the point is the same...it is not as forgiving of problems as is a dive on Palancar.

Dave, that would be good. However, my opinion (right or wrong) is that diving Barracuda does require stricter adherence to staying close together and coming up together due to multiple factors. Some of these are higher swells. Less boats if you get separated and less chance (maybe none) of a surface swim to shore in a bad scenario.

As far as other boats, I do not recall seeing another on the few trips I have made up north. I might be forgetting a case, but the point is the same...it is not as forgiving of problems as is a dive on Palancar.
That said, open water dives in current occur all time in much more remote places than Cozumel. With a fleet of boats, helicopters, planes, etc. available for searching, it would be pretty darn hard to get lost. I'd guess that they wouldn't conduct these dives at night or in poor visibility weather.

That said, open water dives in current occur all time in much more remote places than Cozumel. With a fleet of boats, helicopters, planes, etc. available for searching, it would be pretty darn hard to get lost. I'd guess that they wouldn't conduct these dives at night or in poor visibility weather.

All true. But imagine trying to find one person without an SMB for added visibility. How long would it take to mobilize assets to start the search?

It seems prudent to take the additional measures that have been mentioned to greatly reduce the potential for a problem. Then if a separation does occur, the SMB and Nautilus Lifeline (radio/position reporting device) offers significant improvement in being found.

Personally, my opinion is that the measures mentioned seem so good that my questions deal with more mundane matters:

1) Where do they do the surface intervals?
2) Are restroom facilities/alternatives available?

I look forward to reading about customer comments on these dives in the near future.

I dunno about being so cocky Greg. All those boats, planes and countries searching can't find a jetliner.

I dunno about being so cocky Greg. All those boats, planes and countries searching can't find a jetliner.

& a BIG one, @ that.....

All true. But imagine trying to find one person without an SMB for added visibility. How long would it take to mobilize assets to start the search?
Assuming the boat has a radio, the search can start mobilizing immediately. First the dive boat, hopefully aided by other boats in the vicinity. The current is traveling in a known direction. Even at a 3 knot current, which is stronger than most in Coz, the boats would overtake that in minutes.

I can understand the requirement for an SMB, but not the requirement that it has to be deployed at depth since that's usually only necessary where there's potential for being run over.

It seems prudent to take the additional measures that have been mentioned to greatly reduce the potential for a problem. Then if a separation does occur, the SMB and Nautilus Lifeline (radio/position reporting device) offers significant improvement in being found.
I've been on a liveaboards where they strapped EPIRBs to us, mandated and/or supplied mirrors and/or whistlers and/or Dive Alerts. But those were all really remote. Not offshore from a crowded tourist island with its own naval base. Heck, in California, we dive the Cortes Banks which are about 50 miles away from the nearest land and known for very strong currents. I got certified out there.

---------- Post added March 12th, 2014 at 03:00 PM ----------

Yeah, well I already boycott Malaysia for other reasons. Indonesia loses a couple planes a year too, so that would be a lousy place to go adrift, yet they didn't even take such precautions on my Komodo liveaboard at some remote sites (e.g. Crystal Rock). AFAIK, Mexico hasn't lost any big jets recently so they're above the curve for the third world.

Each diver must also have their
own SMB and means of deploying it while underwater

Dave-

Do you mean by this that it is necessary to be familiar with the use of a finger spool or reel?

Thank you

Dear Himself,

A finger spool is just one way to deploy a SMB while underwater, but yes as of now, I want all divers to be able to do so independently, at least among those doing exploration dives with us. IMHO, that is not a very difficult skill to learn and we can teach that, at no extra cost for those bound for an Exploration dive with Aldora.

FYI, for many years I just used a frame to wrap line on for my SMB, much like a cheap kite line wrapper. It worked good for me for a log time while guiding trips, but now I do use a finger spool…not much difference except the spool is smaller.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom