Please be careful with pharmacy drugs in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My doctor has advised me to take flonase & zyrtec through my upcoming trip to Coz (allergies). Both are OTC in the US but I've read conflicting reports about my ability to bring them into the country for personal use (I do have a prescription). Any advice how best to enter/exit Mex with the meds or if they should be purchased there (I'd rather not)?

My doctor has advised me to take flonase & zyrtec through my upcoming trip to Coz (allergies). Both are OTC in the US but I've read conflicting reports about my ability to bring them into the country for personal use (I do have a prescription). Any advice how best to enter/exit Mex with the meds or if they should be purchased there (I'd rather not)?
You should take a dose of each on an off day just in case you have a reaction to either. You probably won't, but everyone is different. One is an antihistamine that might make you drowsy, and the other is a corticosteroid that might give you nose problems. I do not know of either being prohibited in Mexico. https://mx.usembassy.gov/bringing-items-into-mexico-u-s/

Neither is prohibited in Mexico.
We've brought down Flonase as well, without issue.

The problem with pseudoephedrine in Mexico is not that it is a nasal decongestant but that it can be used as feedstock for the manufacturing of methamphetamine. Other allergy medications are not restricted.

I guess we all know that illicit pills can look like the oxycontin. norco, xanex: as mass producedand are widely available and kill thousands in the US every month among the young who buy street drugs. I guess that it is easier to expect in the US but these fentenal laced killers are showing up in small drugstores…in Cozumel! and will kill.

Last week one of our guests at the Villa Aldora experienced a serious migraine headache, and searched several downtown, street front stores where she was able to buy some illegal but properly marked Percocet. When back to the Villa, took one and within one hour she stopped breathing and no heartbeat was detected. Fortunately a paramedic from an adjoining room promptly began CPR until the ambulance arrived, saved her life and she then got three days in the hospital.

Keep in mind that Percocet and all opioids, and the like are COMPLETELY ILLEGAL in Mexico and if any of that crap is offered to you—bet there is a good chance it will KILL YOU. FOR GODS SAKE BE CAREFUL.

DAVE DILLEHAY
ALDORA
Thank you so much for sharing this Dave. Twice I have helped one of our hospitals with a foreign patient that bought pain meds from a local pharmacy and in both cases ended up in the ER and had their stomach contents pumped out with charcoal. It happens more than people think. Thank God she's going to live and go home to her loved ones. She came so close to having a much more tragic ending.
Could I please share your story? I think it's really important to make people aware. Thank you!

Thank you so much for sharing this Dave. Twice I have helped one of our hospitals with a foreign patient that bought pain meds from a local pharmacy and in both cases ended up in the ER and had their stomach contents pumped out with charcoal. It happens more than people think. Thank God she's going to live and go home to her loved ones. She came so close to having a much more tragic ending.
Could I please share your story? I think it's really important to make people aware. Thank you!
Since Dave posted it here it is already public, so you don't really need his permission to share it, although I can't imagine that he would have a problem.

Back
Top Bottom