Please be careful with pharmacy drugs in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How was it determined the drugs she took contained fentanyl?
I doubt that anyone in Coz can test for fentanyl, but just give it the "duck test"

Does anyone know if Cozumel EMS carry Narcan? Here it seems to be a staple for EMS, firefighters and police officers. (Not that I'll ever need it unless I'm drugged without my knowledge - God forbid). Just curious.

I don't know about the legalities of traveling internationally with it, but it's pretty easy to get Narcan in the US these days so people might want to consider if they want to have some on hand just in case. I treat it like my api-pens - I'd rather have it and not need it than end up needing it and not having it, y'know? So that's something I'd look into if traveling to places where there might be a question about safe medications.

dear GG, who said it was a "legal" drugstore? And how would the typical tourist in Cozumel know one from the other. Heck, i've been here since 1992 and still could not tell you how!

Dave Dillehay

dear DD, you did notice my question mark and my two uses of the word "if", didn't you? Just checking... :D

It would be a very cold hearted insurance company who would deny her claim on the basis of what she took, and why, and where she got it, but "cold hearted" and "insurance company" are redundant, so who knows?

That's a pretty broad brush. Some parts of Mexico are not corrupt and unsanitary, while some parts of the US are both.

I'm wondering why those who despise Mexico and have no intention to ever go there would be in a Cozumel forum.

I have to admit I was wrong about the scope of this problem. 29 pharmacies in 8 cities, and half were fake. A significant fraction contained fentanyl.

I had assumed that the problem was confined to the sketchy places that advertised controlled substances by the pill, but that is clearly no longer the case. The investigation found sealed bottles, to all outward appearances direct from the manufacturer, whose contents had been tampered with.

My wife was just watching a video that claimed the same was happening in the US.
Someone is getting rich off this and it isn't just the illegal drug trade.

I have to admit I was wrong about the scope of this problem. 29 pharmacies in 8 cities, and half were fake. A significant fraction contained fentanyl.

I had assumed that the problem was confined to the sketchy places that advertised controlled substances by the pill, but that is clearly no longer the case. The investigation found sealed bottles, to all outward appearances direct from the manufacturer, whose contents had been tampered with.

Sometimes I have to wonder about media manipulation and govt propaganda. Not saying this isn’t accurate, but I’m skeptical. I’ve heard that it’s more limited to pills off the street. I was in Mexico last month and brought back a bottle of Xanax that I bought at a pharmacy: I ordered a fentanyl testing kit back here in the states and tested multiple pills - all of which were negative. Without doubt, there is a lot of crime and corruption on there, but don’t believe everything you read. Nor take it as false.

I’m skeptical. Without doubt, there is a lot of crime and corruption on there, but don’t believe everything you read. Nor take it as false.
Well put.

I remember about 10 years ago, there was a big article on compromised ATM machines by Krebs whatever/whoever he was. If you were unfamiliar with the Yucatan peninsula you'd be tempted to run to a vault and never come out.

For those of us who were at least somewhat familiar with the area, it became clear after 17 seconds of thought, that it was just a bunch of massaged excrement.

Sometimes I have to wonder about media manipulation and govt propaganda. Not saying this isn’t accurate, but I’m skeptical. I’ve heard that it’s more limited to pills off the street. I was in Mexico last month and brought back a bottle of Xanax that I bought at a pharmacy: I ordered a fentanyl testing kit back here in the states and tested multiple pills - all of which were negative. Without doubt, there is a lot of crime and corruption on there, but don’t believe everything you read. Nor take it as false.

Maybe you got scammed on a fake fentanyl testing kit?

Back
Top Bottom