Please be careful with pharmacy drugs in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How was it determined the drugs she took contained fentanyl?

As senior citizen divers now in our late 60's...... who were born and raised in the People's Republic of Berkeley, California......My wife and I can emphatically say........"Only buy drugs from a known and trusted source!!!!!"

I saw at least one “pharmacy” in PDC today with a sandwich board advertising Tylenol 30-300’s and Percocet etc. I would have taken a photo, but had my hands full.

I saw at least one “pharmacy” in PDC today with a sandwich board advertising Tylenol 30-300’s and Percocet etc. I would have taken a photo, but had my hands full.

I actually walked down thru 5th ave the other day and was looking at the signs, I never seen Percocet or Oxys advertised

It used to be cheaper to cut drugs with talc powder.

Now Chinese fentanyl is so cheap that they're cutting drugs with it instead of talc.
This story indicates that Mexican cartels have figured out which precursor drugs they need to produce their own fentanyl and are almost exclusively making their own - not so much Chinese fentanyl anymore. That's progress, right? Ugh. The 'good' news is that the fentanyl or meth laced pills are usually more expensive (~$25 per pill) so you might have some sense of whether you're getting the laced stuff ... or not. And it's happening in Cabo as much as the border towns.

"In Tijuana, reporters found that pills sold as oxycodone tested positive for fentanyl, while pills sold as Adderall tested positive for methamphetamine. Testing conducted farther south in Cabo San Lucas and nearby San José del Cabo bore similar results, although there, even weaker painkillers — including pills sold as hydrocodone — also tested positive for fentanyl. Many are nearly indistinguishable from their legitimate counterparts.

In total, the Times investigation found that 71% of the 17 pills tested came up positive for more powerful drugs.
"

The 'good' news is that the fentanyl or meth laced pills are usually more expensive (~$25 per pill) so you might have some sense of whether you're getting the laced stuff ... or not.
I suspect the cartels studied a group with lower morals and respect for human life than themselves, Big Pharma, and copied their retail pricing model. The retail price has no relationship to the cost of production, it's whatever they can get away with. I suspect the drugs sold to the local population have an entirely different pricing than those intended for tourists.

Does anyone know if Cozumel EMS carry Narcan? Here it seems to be a staple for EMS, firefighters and police officers. (Not that I'll ever need it unless I'm drugged without my knowledge - God forbid). Just curious.

But did she? If she got it from a legal pharmacy, how could it be illegal? If it was counterfeit that wasn't her fault.
dear GG, who said it was a "legal" drugstore? And how would the typical tourist in Cozumel know one from the other. Heck, i've been here since 1992 and still could not tell you how!

Dave Dillehay

A question for Dave Dillehay:​
Is the 'pharmacy' that sold this lady the fake Percocet laced with fentanyl still open?​
The authorities would have know of this serious incident, if for no other reason from the hospital.​
yes it was shut down according to Dr. Piccolo but another one popped up next day…actually same signs!

Back
Top Bottom