Explain this term often used in DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderSeaBumbleBee

Contributor
Reaction score
I here this word tossed about a lot on the board. Most the time non DIR people saying that the DIR people will think you are a "stroke" and have heard a couple of DIR say don't be a "stroke".

So define stroke and please tell how the term came to be

A stroke is an unsafe diver. Someone who dives in an unsafe manner.

That's it.

BTW - its probably been a long, long time since you've seen that word "tossed a lot on the board." Are you DIR, are you DIR curious, do you have a genuine interest or are you just stirring the pot?

---
Ken

George Irvine coined the term during the mid-1990s, during the time he was (first affiliated with and later) the director of the WKPP.

Leah, here is the original article written by George. It's pretty self-explanatory:

http://www.dir.cy.net/stroke.htm

I think she's very honestly curious, and probably has been doing some burrowing in the archives. Leah and I have talked a bit.

Leah, this is one of the places where DIR earned an unpleasant reputation, was from George Irvine's term "stroke" to denote an unsafe diver. The problem was that George's definition of an unsafe diver pretty much included anybody who did anything any way other than his way. There are some very colorful rants floating around on the web where he takes swings at just about any non-DIR method or equipment you can name. Not unreasonably, people who had been diving without incident for long periods of time took exception to being so labelled.

Mostly, we now use it mostly between DIR people in teasing or as a joke.

Too funny.

I like it.

Leah - I just re-read what I wrote. I didn't mean to sound harsh. I was curious, more than anything else, about your motivation for asking. Its been awhile since that term has been accepted parlance in most civil DIR circles.

That said, I have no problem using that term to describe an unsafe diver.

---
Ken

I'll jump in too...:D It has been used as a derogatory term as well. But not by any of the DIR divers I have met in person. As Lynne says, it is mostly used to tease and the internet is the only place I've personally seen it used to put down other divers. In fact I'll be diving with some DIR guys in Mexico next week. Great people and terrific divers.

And they usually don't call me a stroke...:wink:

I think one of the fabulous things to come out of this thread is the term "DIR-curious."

When used among my crew, it is done totally tongue-in-cheek. I really don't have a license, the urge, or the experience to seriously put down someone that way . . . I also don't consider myself DIR (but have moved beyond DIR-curious).

Usually it is good for a few laughs around my LDS.

Another great term coined on this board is "strokaphilic."

dsteding:
Another great term coined on this board is "strokaphilic."

My fundies instructor had a great one...

"There's some major strokery going on here!"

It is admittedly funnier now then it was at the time though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom