Experienced Divers: Will You Dive With Newbies?

Will you dive with a new diver on fun dives?

• Never

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 90 51.1%
  • Always

Votes: 62 35.2%
  • Only when I'm being paid as an instructor

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Only if they buy dinner afterwards

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Not on boat dives where I have to pay

Votes: 15 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Assuming you spent atleast some amount of time at 30', not just hit the number and came up shallow for the rest of the dive, your air consumption is pretty damned good in my book.

fmw625:
On my last dive back in late Sept. I dove with my instructor and another diver in the coldest water I'd ever dove in about 75 deg F. I was wearing a 2mm (the only one I have) a hood, and an al80. In the plan I was to work on boyuancy control, and how to prevent being feet heavy. I started with 3000 psig, after 70 min. and a max depth of 30 ffw (We dont have many places to dive deep and have any vis) we surfaced and I still had 1500 psig. This was probably the best that I have ever done diving. Is this an acceptable air consumption? I have the SAC in my dive log program but it is not avaliable at this time.
Read post #30 by Uncle Pug until you have incorporated into your DNA :wink:

dsaxe01:
I'm not sure if i consitute as an expierenced diver, and many would class me a n00be...

how do u define expierenced?

An experienced diver is one that knows the mistakes that can be made, and helps others not to make those same mistakes.

If I'm just diving for the fun of it, then no problem, But if I have a specific plan for a dive, than I may not want to be watching someone who may not be interested in my goals for the dive.

TT

I would definently dive with a new diver on "fun" dives. How else are they going to learn what to do and not to do unless they dive with others who generally know what they are doing. Common everyone.....be a mentor so you can make the diving better for everyone.

Absolutely! It brings back the days when even a sea cucumber was the coolest thing ever....

...and there's usually no chest-beating...

I voted sometimes - is not so much a money or a dive goals thing with me, more to do with relaxation - for me diving with my regular buddies is an extremely relaxing experience, whereas diving with someone who is new, particularly the very new, I tend to find myself watching them more than looking around, and feeling a bit like an unpaid DM, and quite tense a lot of the time. Having said that, as many others have said you can learn a lot from new divers, and we have all benefitted from the patience of others when we were starting out, so am happy to do it some of the time, but would not want all of my dives to be like this, as I think I would lose something which to me is essential in enjoyment of diving.

I do think, however, that if you agree to buddy with someone less experienced/ skilled than you (and that can be someone experienced but not in your local conditions) there is a certain obligation entered into - the worst thing you could do would be to ditch them when they ran out of air, or ignore them while you take pictures - either do it whole heartedly or don't agree to it in the first place.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Assuming you spent atleast some amount of time at 30', not just hit the number and came up shallow for the rest of the dive, your air consumption is pretty damned good in my book.

Most of the dive was spent in the 20 to 25 foot range. Below 25 feet the thermocline was too cold. was at 30 ffw for about 5min before getting too cold. We did meander slowly to shallow water at the end of the dive.

Some of you guys would be happy to know that I just pay for a guide...TS if THEY get cut short. I know I'm new and won't hit the 60+ minute mark on an 80.

Once I'm at the point where I can get optimum time out of a tank I'll probably have the same attitude as some of you. I paid my money, I want maximum down time.

I just think it's a consideration for whom you are diving WITH.

fmw625:
Most of the dive was spent in the 20 to 25 foot range. Below 25 feet the thermocline was too cold. was at 30 ffw for about 5min before getting too cold. We did meander slowly to shallow water at the end of the dive.

Even if you stayed at 20' the entire time, 1500psi for 70 minutes is pretty good. I would definately say not bad enough for anyone to cry over :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom